Current Mixed Feelings

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Re: Current Mixed Feelings

Post by Adam54 »

Meh. That's probably true. I'm just not going to call Job B from Job A. That's not fair to Job A and not something which would be tolerated by Job B if the roles were reversed.

If I'm off at Job A before the time the Job B office closes, I'll probably give 'em a call.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

New Mumford and Sons' sound. I kinda liked the banjoes.

Granted, I've only heard the one single, so...
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by omicron »

I liked their last couple of albums, but I haven't heard their new stuff yet.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

I reckon beards will feature quite heavily.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Space Tycoon wrote:New Mumford and Sons' sound. I kinda liked the banjoes.
Saying you liked the banjoes in a Mumford and Sons song is like saying you like every Mumford and Sons song.

Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Shorthand for saying I preferred their more acoustic, roots-rock sound.

That said, if you've heard one M&S song, an argument could be made that you've heard them all.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Not true. There are the slow, plaintive roots-banjo songs, and the faster, jamming roots-banjo songs. Totally different!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Has anyone got a pretty mouth?
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Adam????

Are you asking if that's Adam, or are you asking Adam to contribute some shots of his pretty mouth?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Fake Strider??
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Looks like Adam before the baldness pixies (little bastards I know well) stole his hair.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Close, but I was never quite that bequiffed

Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

To update the apartment drama:

My coworker/"weekend manager" quit on Friday because she got a full time offer at her second job and had had enough of the bullying from the manager. I'm by myself the next two Saturdays, so that makes it tolerable as I try to find literally anything else.

The manager apparently decided to reopen Sundays after all, starting the end of the month, and that shift was of course given to her (newly re-hired) BFF instead of me. I'm not surprised. I'm surprised that my name was removed from my mailbox in the office. That's just blatant bullying, as well as the more subtle bullying involved in placing the names of the two new hires above mine on the contact list.

I believe either way, next Saturday will be my last day. If I even make it that long. Money is tight enough that I can't really afford to quit, but I'll do what needs to be done, I guess. I've been applying relentlessly to stuff the past couple weeks. Somebody's gotta call back, right?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I presume in the U.S. you don't have much in the way of employment protection vs. bullying!?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Nope. A law is currently pending in Minnesota to address it, but I doubt they'll pass it this year.

I'm not upset in the least by it. It's absurd behavior and it's making for a very uncomfortable work environment, but I'm fully confident in my knowledge that I've done nothing to deserve it and it's entirely to do with her issues and not mine.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Moral high ground my friend.

Take the fuckers money to keep the bills paid while you search for a better role at your leisure. Let them, pay for you to hunt for another job. Just don't lose your rag at work and do the flounce.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

My thoughts exactly. No mixed feelings at all on that one, I can barely see 'em from up here on the high ground.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

When you go back to just being a customer you can give them shit.
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

I'm potentially maybe at a job-crossroad myself. I've been a "temp" since August (i.e. full-time, but 0 benefits, apart from beer). The job is fairly stressful, and I'm pretty exhausted most days. I am considered to be extremely good at my job and I am due to be bumped up to full-time actual employee with benefits and such within the next month or two (something that was really supposed to happen back in November, but instead there were massive lay-offs), but that will bring with it even more stress. I don't really feel invested in my work, since half of the time I'm fixing/completely redoing applications that consulting firms were paid ridiculous sums of money to make, or I'm making requested applications from scratch which, though liked, don't end up being used at all. I have multiple people over me, and often I'll have each of them wanting me to drop everything and work on X for them... but all at the same time. I don't drink beer, and, being rather anti-capitalistic, don't really care if the stock price raises x points or if the market share increases even more. I also get really annoyed by the corporate lingo: "I need to align on that." "Let me see your decks." "Can you drive in this meeting?"

A week ago, one of my professors sent out a job notice for a high school teaching job 35 minutes away. I'm pretty sure this is the only high school teaching job for German that's been posted in the state. Since I am still certified, I decided to apply for it, despite figuring it was a long shot (given my track record last year)... and I interview tomorrow. I'm trying not to get too overly excited, so that I'm not crushed completely if I don't get the job, but it's hard. The pay would be the same as what I make now (which is sufficient for us, though it is far less than what I will potentially make if the current job's promotion happens), more if I work summer school. There will be job benefits (and I already have two years of retirement service racked up in the state's educational system), and the vacation schedule will align with Goiter's family's vacation schedule (so no more griping about our inability to see them/have them see us), and I'll be working in the subject that I've spent the last decade in school for...
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Having many people over you is a fact of corporate life when you start out, I am afraid. As is having a large number of stakeholders all thinking they are the most important. Although your line manager should supply clear direction on that and protect you a bit.

Corporate bullshit lingo is sadly here to stay. I am now proficient.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Jubbers wrote:I'm potentially maybe at a job-crossroad myself. I've been a "temp" since August (i.e. full-time, but 0 benefits, apart from beer). The job is fairly stressful, and I'm pretty exhausted most days. I am considered to be extremely good at my job and I am due to be bumped up to full-time actual employee with benefits and such within the next month or two (something that was really supposed to happen back in November, but instead there were massive lay-offs), but that will bring with it even more stress. I don't really feel invested in my work, since half of the time I'm fixing/completely redoing applications that consulting firms were paid ridiculous sums of money to make, or I'm making requested applications from scratch which, though liked, don't end up being used at all. I have multiple people over me, and often I'll have each of them wanting me to drop everything and work on X for them... but all at the same time. I don't drink beer, and, being rather anti-capitalistic, don't really care if the stock price raises x points or if the market share increases even more. I also get really annoyed by the corporate lingo: "I need to align on that." "Let me see your decks." "Can you drive in this meeting?"

A week ago, one of my professors sent out a job notice for a high school teaching job 35 minutes away. I'm pretty sure this is the only high school teaching job for German that's been posted in the state. Since I am still certified, I decided to apply for it, despite figuring it was a long shot (given my track record last year)... and I interview tomorrow. I'm trying not to get too overly excited, so that I'm not crushed completely if I don't get the job, but it's hard. The pay would be the same as what I make now (which is sufficient for us, though it is far less than what I will potentially make if the current job's promotion happens), more if I work summer school. There will be job benefits (and I already have two years of retirement service racked up in the state's educational system), and the vacation schedule will align with Goiter's family's vacation schedule (so no more griping about our inability to see them/have them see us), and I'll be working in the subject that I've spent the last decade in school for...
I was in a similar situation at a temp job I had while I was in college. I was working for the local city organization that oversaw the maintenance of the city's vehicles. They had just invested in some kind of software that would pull data from their digital database of vehicle parts and allowed you to create reports in Excel using that data. Unfortunately, none of the people working there had any idea how to do this. Neither did I, frankly, but I realized that you could use Excel's Visual Basic functions to manipulate how the information from the database was displayed in Excel. Learning more about Visual Basic was actually the fun part of that job. What was not all that fun was that my immediate supervisor and her boss were never on the same page regarding what they actually wanted out of the reports. My supervisor would tell me one thing and then we would go into a meeting with her boss, which is when it usually turned out that he had actually envisioned an altogether different thing. I kept having to redesign the reports (sometimes from the ground up) because I was getting conflicting information from the two. By the end of the summer, I was glad to be going back to college.

I like the current company I work for, despite some of the corporate BS. There's plenty of BS you have to deal with at a school as well. Passive-aggressive behavior by the other teachers, bureaucratic restrictions regarding funding and teaching goals, and kids who can't be bothered to pick up a book. Depending on how extreme the salary difference is between the two jobs (assuming you finally get that promotion to full-time actual employee at AB-InBev), my personal inclination would be to take the higher-paying job and grin and bear the unpleasantness. More often than not, life boils down to unpleasantness, but getting paid nicely to put up with it does take the sting out a bit.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

At some point I must have missed the fact that you work for the company that brews my favourite Labatt's beer... I shall no longer drink it ironically, but with pride.