What are you reading right now?

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by omicron »

Just finished Marvel Comics: The Untold Story
really interesting history of the 70+ years of Marvel. Really got me nostalgic for all the comic book store hanging-out I did in the 80s.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Roger Moore - My Word Is My Bond.

His autobiography. Great (and funny) read.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I read The Thief of Always by Clive Barker recently. A good young person story that adults can also get into. Sufficiently creepy, but not perversely so.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

I read The Thief of Always when I was thirteen or fourteen. I remember liking it. I didn't think about it much after that until about a decade or so back when Monster House came out. I barely remember either at this point, but I remember wondering in the theater if Dan Harmon had read and/or been inspired by The Thief of Always.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

I haven't written here in a while, but that's mostly because my reading has been limited to the Ice and Fire books, and they take me a long time to get through. I'm on the fifth one now.

I had a break between the fourth and the fifth book, while I was waiting for the fifth one to become available at the library, so I checked out Stephen King's The Running Man. The choice was inspired by Dalty's re-watching of the Schwarzenegger movie around that time. I was a bit surprised how much I actually enjoyed it. It was more of a sci-fi novel than horror (which is probably why King published it under a pseudonym), and the movie really only took a small part of the basic premise as a basis for the script.

A few of the things about the way King imagines the future in this book are almost prophetic, especially considering how game shows have taken the reality-TV route. I also felt that the commentary about social class divisions in the US is still very relevant today (but then again, when was it not?).
Mango

Post by Mango »

I've been meaning to give that [Thief of Always] a read. I have read the comic book adaptation and enjoyed it well enough, but I want to get a feel for Barker's style and have not read anything else by him.

I have recently reread Night Watch and read its sequel Day Watch. I am moving on, predictably, to it's sequel Twilight Watch.

[Edit]
Mal posted as I was posting, so to stay on topic I will also mention that I am gettign ready to read Joe Hill's NOS4A2

I read NOS4A2. Hill's prose, choice of subject matter, and narrative choices are all eerily similar to his father's.
Mango

Post by Mango »

That makes me sad
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Mal Shot First wrote:I haven't written here in a while, but that's mostly because my reading has been limited to the Ice and Fire books, and they take me a long time to get through. I'm on the fifth one now.

I had a break between the fourth and the fifth book, while I was waiting for the fifth one to become available at the library, so I checked out Stephen King's The Running Man. The choice was inspired by Dalty's re-watching of the Schwarzenegger movie around that time. I was a bit surprised how much I actually enjoyed it. It was more of a sci-fi novel than horror (which is probably why King published it under a pseudonym), and the movie really only took a small part of the basic premise as a basis for the script.

A few of the things about the way King imagines the future in this book are almost prophetic, especially considering how game shows have taken the reality-TV route. I also felt that the commentary about social class divisions in the US is still very relevant today (but then again, when was it not?).

I own a copy of the "Bachman" book myself a re-read from time to time. I always think how the original story would make a great one off HBO special or something similar. It's one hell of a bleak story but actually more entertaining than the OTT game show of the Ahnuld movie.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Dalty wrote:
Mal Shot First wrote:I haven't written here in a while, but that's mostly because my reading has been limited to the Ice and Fire books, and they take me a long time to get through. I'm on the fifth one now.

I own a copy of the "Bachman" book myself and re-read from time to time. I always think how the original story would make a great one off HBO special or something similar. It's one hell of a bleak story but actually more entertaining than the OTT game show of the Ahnuld movie.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Space Tycoon wrote:I read The Thief of Always by Clive Barker recently. A good young person story that adults can also get into. Sufficiently creepy, but not perversely so.
I recently listened to an old episode of Loveline which had Barker on as the guest. Completely changed my (admittedly almost completely uninformed) view of him. The guy was charming, insightful, and hilarious.

Or at least he was in 1997. Maybe he's changed since.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Just finished Stephen King's It. I liked it a lot. This was my first time reading it, so I had no idea how intricately constructed the plot was. It's pretty ambitious in its attempt to portray the deep-seated and systemic nature of the evil present in Derry. The themes surrounding the power within childhood (i.e., the power inherent in being a child) remind me of something that Goiter might write. There is a longing there for something magical that was lost in the process of growing up, which reminds me of Goiter's nostalgia for his childhood. It's a somewhat universal human feeling, I suppose, but some people express it more strongly than others. Anyway, the ending is beautiful and bittersweet, and it's a lot more than I would expect from a horror novel. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

Next up on the reading list: Dracula by Bram Stoker.

The story I'm writing at present reimagines a scene from my childhood. This makes it pretty much like the last three or four stories I wrote.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I'm re-reading The Green Mile. Tragic stuff.

You know, I Googled Mouseville in Florida and I can't find the real one anywhere. Were they just making that up?
Last edited by Space Tycoon on June 25th, 2016, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Apparently, there's no Derry, ME either.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I find Dracula kinda hard going. Read it twice and both times it was a bit of a slog.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Mal Shot First wrote:Apparently, there's no Derry, ME either.
Next you're going to tell me there's no such thing as Quincy, ME.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Oh and I'm about 75 pages into The Solitude of Prime Numbers and just loving it.

Looks like the last time I posted my recent reads was in September. It was right around the time we were getting the ball rolling on Jubboiter's autism diagnosis. All that stuff ground my reading to a bit of a halt. I also found myself pushing through a couple books that I didn't care for and that made me feel less of a desire to read. I've still managed to read a bit, but I've been mostly too worn out to read. Anyway, here's the fairly thin list of what I've read since the last list posted:

Ashe, Penelope. Naked Came the Stranger.
Anderson, Sherwood. "Brothers." (reread)
Beck, Jerry. The 50 Greatest Cartoons.
Brooks, Terry. The Sword of Shannara. (reread)
Ehle, John. The Land Breakers.
Glass, William. "In the Heart of the Heart of the Country."
Gottfredson, Floyd. Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse: Race to Death Valley.
Hallberg, Garth Risk. City on Fire.
Jordan, Robert. The Eye of the World.
Leblanc, Maurice. Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Burglar.
Lowry, Malcolm. Under the Volcano.
Marx, Groucho. Groucho and Me.
McCaffrey, Anne. Dragonflight.
McCulley, Johnston. The Curse of Capistrano.
Orczy, Emma. The Scarlet Pimpernel. (reread)
Oswalt, Patton. Silver Screen Fiend.
Spillane, Mickey and Max Allan Collins. "A Dangerous Cat."
Stapledon, Olaf. Star Maker.
Thurber, James. "How Law and Order Came to Aramie."
Willeford, Charles. Cockfighter.

City on Fire and Under the Volcano were the two I had to push through. The Land Breakers was probably the one that I liked the best. It takes place in late eighteenth century Appalachia. It stood out for me the way John Williams's Stoner stood out for me.

I've also read a decent number of stories in various Lustiges Taschenbuch volumes. Jubbers got me a subscription. It's been nice getting them in the mail. It reminds me of when I used to have a subscription to Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, and Captain America. I tend to focus on the Donald and Scrooge stories and skip the Mickey stories. (You'll notice I recently read the first volume of Gottfredson's Mickey strips, so it's not as though my life has been totally devoid of Mickey. Mickey also makes an appearance or two in Jerry Beck's The 50 Greatest Cartoons.)
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

On a break from school, so reading grownup books! Now up-to-date on the Kinsey Millhone alphabet mysteries, read an interesting bio of James Garfield, now rereading "American Gods" and "Anansi Boys" for the first time in a decade.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:Anyway, here's the fairly thin list of what I've read since the last list posted:
How do you find the time to.......?

...Ah nevermind. Dumbass question.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Mal Shot First wrote:Apparently, there's no Derry, ME either.
Well then, this Stephen King fellow is nothing more than a damned liar!!!
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

I just got new reading glasses, so now that my close vision is no longer doubled, blurry, and jumpy, I can contribute here too!

Reading World Without Women, pulp sci-fi from 1960, where nuclear test radiation caused all of the women to become sick for six weeks, leaving most dead and the rest mysteriously infertile. There is approximately 1 woman left per 10,000 men. Our two protagonists, a rich lawyer and his bombshell blonde wife, were alone yachting around the Galapagos for 14 months and have just arrived back in LA oblivious to all this...

Space Tycoon wrote:How do you find the time to.......?
It's really not that much reading when you consider that it goes all the way back to September of last year. Also, you'll notice that four of the things listed were short stories.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Accidentally tripped over a bit of a gem. The Lost Fleet series. Anyone else read them?