The Pro Wrestling Thread

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Hardy's probably even a couple inches shorter. Whenever a shortish male actor or agency claims a height, you can almost guarantee it's being generous by an inch or four. Same with wrestlers and billed heights. (Hey, look! I'm back on topic!) Hogan a legitimate 6'8"? Pshaw!

And there's a good chance that Hardy was adding those extra inches onto his shod height, so there's that. He was probably also wearing lifts in those shoes, and the shoes, themselves, were more than likely cowboy boots or one of those high-heeled Italian numbers.

Why, Hardy probably barely clears five feet when all the above things are considered. He probably has to sit on a heavy book or two to be able to see over the steering wheel when he drives.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Indeed. Batman uses fear, shadows, misdirection. Bane uses a crate.
Master Skywalker
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Master Skywalker »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:Hardy's probably even a couple inches shorter. Whenever a shortish male actor or agency claims a height, you can almost guarantee it's being generous by an inch or four. Same with wrestlers and billed heights. (Hey, look! I'm back on topic!) Hogan a legitimate 6'8"? Pshaw!

And there's a good chance that Hardy was adding those extra inches onto his shod height, so there's that. He was probably also wearing lifts in those shoes, and the shoes, themselves, were more than likely cowboy boots or one of those high-heeled Italian numbers.

Why, Hardy probably barely clears five feet when all the above things are considered. He probably has to sit on a heavy book or two to be able to see over the steering wheel when he drives.
I read this about halfway through, thinking you were talking about Matt or Jeff Hardy, before I looked back at the previous few posts.

But now I want to see Tom Hardy perform a Swanton Dive or at least a Twist of Fate on either Batman or Immortan Joe. :D
On December 20, 2019, the Greatest Saga Ever... concludes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May the Force be with you

The Hardy Boys are both billed at 6'2". They're exempted from my short shaming. They're a touch shorter than tall, but they're not short.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Master Skywalker

Adam, are you caught up on wrasslin'? Looks like Clash of Champions was decent, but featured a couple really bad finishes.
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Adam54 »

I'm caught up-adjacent. I cancelled my Network subscription for the month since I've had too much going on out in the real world (including an NXT house show!) but have been staying pretty caught up with the recaps.

Seems like I haven't been missing much, honestly. Raw seems like a clusterfuck (and they're expecting the lowest rated episode EVER tonight), Smackdown seems a hair better, while TNA actually seems like the best creative product going at the moment. Who would've thunk it? (Damian Sandow is going to THRIVE there)

What were the horrible finishes? I read about Cesaro vs. Sheamus (can they PLEASE stop doing this shit to Cesaro? PLEASE?) but am drawing a blank on the other one at the moment.
Master Skywalker

Adam54 wrote:I'm caught up-adjacent. I cancelled my Network subscription for the month since I've had too much going on out in the real world (including an NXT house show!) but have been staying pretty caught up with the recaps.

Seems like I haven't been missing much, honestly. Raw seems like a clusterfuck (and they're expecting the lowest rated episode EVER tonight), Smackdown seems a hair better, while TNA actually seems like the best creative product going at the moment. Who would've thunk it? (Damian Sandow is going to THRIVE there)

What were the horrible finishes? I read about Cesaro vs. Sheamus (can they PLEASE stop doing this shit to Cesaro? PLEASE?) but am drawing a blank on the other one at the moment.
The ending to the Cesaro vs. Sheamus match wasn't actually bad, since the no contest worked within the context of their storyline. But holy faceplants, Batman! They really need to cut back on the between-the-ropes suicide dives. A lot of people thought Cesaro nearly died after that move. It was astounding the man even got up to finish the match.

It was the Owens vs. Rollins match that ended badly. The ref got knocked out accidentally; Jericho interfered; Rollins got a 20-count on Owens; and Steph only sent another ref out there when Owens had recovered and Rollins lost his advantage.

The Jericho and Owens "friendship" is pure gold, though. Jericho is doing his usually spectacular job of playing the heel you love to hate, while delivering some great comedy in the process.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Oh God do I love Jericho like this. He's really doing the best work of his career, which is truly saying something at this point. Their "best friends" schtick is fantastic and I'll enjoy the inevitable face turn from either of them to build the feud for the title. Would they give Jericho one last title run, do you think?

Relatedly, are we seeing VERY early Wrestlemania build right now, or is this more Survivor Series type storytelling?

(Don't do it, Fake Strider. I see you there with your fake finger on the fake button)
Master Skywalker

Adam54 wrote:Oh God do I love Jericho like this. He's really doing the best work of his career, which is truly saying something at this point. Their "best friends" schtick is fantastic and I'll enjoy the inevitable face turn from either of them to build the feud for the title. Would they give Jericho one last title run, do you think?

Relatedly, are we seeing VERY early Wrestlemania build right now, or is this more Survivor Series type storytelling?

(Don't do it, Fake Strider. I see you there with your fake finger on the fake button)
I think they've already started sowing the seeds for a Rollins vs. HHH match at WM. I'm guessing Hunter's going to cost him another championship match soon, which will further escalate their feud.

It's a little hard to say what's happening with the rest of the roster, but I'm getting this feeling Cena might win his 16th world championship at Wrestlemania.

Also, are they going to bring back the Elimination Chamber PPV next year, now that they have two world titles again? The winner of the last couple Rumbles has only had one belt to go after, so I'm wondering what they'll do for 2017. Will they let the Rumble winner pick which of the two belts he wants to go after, or will the winner automatically become #1 contender for the (ugh) Universal Championship? They've got brand-specific PPVs now, but the Rumble's going to be a co-branded event like always.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Adam54 wrote:Apparently some former UK Soccer guy named Stuart Tomlinson is progressing rather nicely in his training to be a WWE wrestler named Hugo Knox.

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/03 ... y-wwe-raw/

A year and a half later, Stuart Tomlinson has been released.

http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/09 ... xt-talent/
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Master Skywalker wrote:
I think they've already started sowing the seeds for a Rollins vs. HHH match at WM. I'm guessing Hunter's going to cost him another championship match soon, which will further escalate their feud.

It's a little hard to say what's happening with the rest of the roster, but I'm getting this feeling Cena might win his 16th world championship at Wrestlemania.

Also, are they going to bring back the Elimination Chamber PPV next year, now that they have two world titles again? The winner of the last couple Rumbles has only had one belt to go after, so I'm wondering what they'll do for 2017. Will they let the Rumble winner pick which of the two belts he wants to go after, or will the winner automatically become #1 contender for the (ugh) Universal Championship? They've got brand-specific PPVs now, but the Rumble's going to be a co-branded event like always.
I feel like I read once that the layout of most new arenas (with their comically large video boards directly above the ring) make the Elimination Chamber event logistically tougher to stage. But hey! Here's hoping! I was at the second to last one at the Target Center a couple years back and loved it. That's always such a fun gimmick.

Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Goldberg squashed Lesnar tonight.

Ummmm...what?

Isn't that, like, Goldberg's thing?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

15-20 years ago, sure. But he's 50 now and WWE has spent the past four years making that Lesnar's thing.

So I don't get it. Are they acknowledging everything they've done in the past 5-15 years has been for nought?

They don't really give a shit. They just want you to buy their shit, and they think this will make you buy their shit. Nostalgia sells, and some combination of focus groups and stats built around the ages of some swath of x show's viewership probably suggests to them that this is a good move. If you and enough others don't buy this particular shit, they will go on to other shit.

If it makes you feel any better, some Facebook friends recently bitched about something similar with the Undertaker. Here's their conversation:

The Undertaker Could Dethrone AJ Styles to Set up WrestleMania Clash with John Cena
"It looks like The Deadman is sticking around."

Hugo Habicht
This better not happen. I'm so tired of this old guy hanging on to make money. He has no business beating Styles for the title. Heck he has no business in a title match period.

Emil Erpel
Yeah that's what I figured he was gonna come back for a short fued then retire. I hope this doesn't happen. A) I don't want raw to win and 2) he just needs to go.

Hugo Habicht
Yes he needs to go away I mean he would have to defend the title between the PPV and I'm tired of great talent having to care this old man in matches when the young talent could feud with other great young talent.

Emil Erpel
I agree. I wouldn't mind him to come back and fued with someone without the belt to put the person over. Not a title. Not even the IC belt.

Side bar Nxt is gonna be lit tonight. 2 out of 3 for the tag belts and Nakamura and Joe.

Hugo Habicht
Yeah NXT will be a good one for sure.

Daniel Düsentrieb
Leave the Taker alone fella :lol: but WWE has to cut this out Cena, Taker, Lesnar never again need to hold the title too much talent on both shows

Hugo Habicht
I agree with you 100%

Emil Erpel
Agreed part timers shouldn't hold titles or be in the hunt. That is the full time guys that wrestle at house shows.

Kuno Knäul
It's time for jp rant

Hugo Habicht
Yes sir!!!

Most of the wrestling discussions I see look similar to the above. These kinds of discussions always look pretty silly to me.

Seems to have worked just fine for these guys:

"Goldberg defeat brock at survivor series. ...the socking moment off my life and also brock life ...because in just 3 minute goldberg win the match and also won the auditon heart ..... "

"Brock lesnar my a**"

"After 12 years =>2 spears & 1 Jack hammer and game over in just 80 seconds..Bill Goldberg->Legend is back..You're last Brock Lesnar.. "

"Oh Lord-o-Lord!!! I never dreamt that, the match that every WWE/WWF Fans/Universe was waiting for, would end so quickly; what a great performance by the great Bill Goldberg, against the great Brock Lesnar, wherein Goldberg won : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBa-z-abcbI! <3 Hats off to Goldberg!"

"Omg...what a match what a dominance by Goldberg over the beast brock lesnar...Goldberg beats brock just in 2 mints it's so shocking"

"I don't watch wrestling anymore but my boy came back for one night. The baddest fifty year old to walk the planet!!"

"I told you Brock , you are My IM a big fan of ya, but EVEN a Goldberg Fan, as i Said , Goldberg is gona destroy you and are now 2-0 EVEN IF he have been away for 12 years,and under 2 min is a big fail to be beaten by The Beast :D ;), All Credit to Brother Goldberg"
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

It's real to them, damn it!

You actually know people named Emil and Hugo?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

This is why I so appreciate the kind of wrestling discussion I can have with people like Skywalker. More to do with the long term psychology of why they're doing what they're doing/why they've done what they've done. To say nothing of the more thoughtful analysis of the majestic ring work of your Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, AJ Styles, and the unstoppable tour de force named Chris Jericho.

Thanks, Skywalker. You're all right in my book!
Master Skywalker

Apparently, the live audience ate it up, and most of the dirtsheets I've seen today seem to agree with them.

I have mixed feelings about the squash (which is often the case with a lot of what WWE does nowadays). On the one hand, it created a memorable moment that people are talking about. On the other hand, Lesnar has been booked as this nigh-unstoppable force who ended the Undertaker's streak and hasn't lost a match in two years or so (until now). Yeah, he did lose to Taker in the past year, but Taker low-blowed him (low-blew him? I don't like the phrasing of that) to win.

The match itself was probably designed to set up the eventual rematch at WrestleMania, where Lesnar will win and send Goldberg off to a proper retirement in the WWE Hall of Fame, to join other luminaries like Pete Rose and (ugh) Donald That Orange Guy.

I heard the 5-on-5 men's match was pretty awesome, though.

Master Skywalker wrote:The match itself was probably designed to set up the eventual rematch at WrestleMania, where Lesnar will win and send Goldberg off to a proper retirement in the WWE Hall of Fame.
I figured everyone just sort of assumed this. It'll probably be one of those super-long matches with both sides showing tons of respect toward the end. One will have to win, but it'll be so damned dignified by the time it's over that the audience will come away feeling like they both somehow won. There will be many tears on the faces of fans, and, with the passage of time, many will pound their chests and quiver their lips whenever they recount the match to their grandchildren.

So, so damned dignified. (Like the Hogan/Warrior match--which match is almost funny to watch with fresh eyes.)

Of course, there will also be the Rock/Vin Diesel thing. Surely, that's happening. Right?
Master Skywalker

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:
Master Skywalker wrote:The match itself was probably designed to set up the eventual rematch at WrestleMania, where Lesnar will win and send Goldberg off to a proper retirement in the WWE Hall of Fame.
I figured everyone just sort of assumed this. It'll probably be one of those super-long matches with both sides showing tons of respect toward the end. One will have to win, but it'll be so damned dignified by the time it's over that the audience will come away feeling like they both somehow won. There will be many tears on the faces of fans, and, with the passage of time, many will pound their chests and quiver their lips whenever they recount the match to their and grandchildren.

So, so damned dignified. (Like the Hulk/Warrior match--which match is almost funny to watch with fresh eyes.)

Of course, there will also be the Rock/Vin Diesel thing. Surely, that's happening. Right?
That would be a far cry from their last WrestleMania match, and redeem that whole shitshow. Which may have been the point of this feud to begin with.

Here's another example of the sorts of professional-wrestling-specific posts I tend to see:

Hey Lesnar didn't this pick you up after your squash with Goldberg??????