The Pro Wrestling Thread

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: The Pro Wrestling Thread

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Good riddance. Gawker may be dead, but Hulkamania lives!
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Adam54 »

Amen, brother!! I'm sad this seems unlikely to kill off the cesspool of snark which is Deadspin though.
Master Skywalker
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Master Skywalker »

Hey Adam...

Finn FRAKKIN' Balor is your first-ever WWE Universal Champion! How awesome is that? WOW. WWE definitely has a lot of faith in him, to have him take the inaugural championship and go over Rollins clean. Have to give them respect for pushing such a talented "new guy" so quickly.
On December 20, 2019, the Greatest Saga Ever... concludes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May the Force be with you
Master Skywalker

Aaaaand, that lasted all of one day. :wall: Finn had to relinquish the title due to a torn labrum that will require surgery. WWE estimates he'll be out of action for SIX MONTHS, although I've read other reports that the recovery time for such an injury is usually around 2-3 months.

Major bummer, but it could lead to some intriguing matchups if handled right. Rollins vs. Big Cass vs. Owens vs. Reigns is set for next week to crown a new Universal (ugh) Champion, and I think it's about time Owens got his due.

Also on last night's RAW, BAYLEY OFFICIALLY DEBUTED!! :D Great to see her finally called up, and it's clear she'll be the top babyface in the Women's Division going forward.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Wait...Big Cass is getting a singles push already?? They wouldn't split up their most over tag team would th....oh of course they would.

AND YES! YAY BAYLEY! ALTHOUGH this seems to have only FINALLY happened because Sasha is hurt! Are they ever going to hire new trainers and/or medics? This injury bug is in what..it's third year now? Fourth?

Poor Finn. That just sucks. They announced Raw in Minneapolis on Oct. 24th and I was so excited to see him! But at least now I can see Bayley! (Who I was excited to see at NXT in September, but alas)
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Also! Did you get to see the Styles/Cena match from SummerSlam? Match of the decade contender. God damn, Styles is truly remarkable.
Master Skywalker

Adam54 wrote:Also! Did you get to see the Styles/Cena match from SummerSlam? Match of the decade contender. God damn, Styles is truly remarkable.
No, just read the recap, but I plan to. Everyone's been raving about it, and Styles has quickly established himself as the MVP of the WWE. He consistently gets great matches out of EVERYONE, including Reigns.

Since Styles is still a heel, they need to put him in a program with Ambrose, with him ultimately winning the strap.

I'm growing a bit concerned about Rollins performing that upright powerbomb on his opponents. He nearly ended Sting's career (although that was a buckle bomb, which is more dangerous), and now put Balor out of commission for a few months. Didn't someone else get injured in a match against him, as well? I think he needs to modify some of his moves.

Bayley is so damn charismatic and adorable. The sky's the limit with her, if they book her right.

They aren't breaking up Enzo and Cass. I think it's just a one-off to put a fresh body in a main event match.

Also, Reigns needs to turn heel at some point in the next month or so. The crowd was actually cheering for him when he went off on Rusev at Summerslam. They're tired of his Cena-like tweener shtick.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I bought the girlfriend and I Bayley shirts to wear to NXT next month. THREE DAYS LATER she FINALLY got called up.

You're welcome, America.

I'm on the verge of cancelling my Network subscription and just using less scrupulous methods to hunt down the PPVs. Or at least the AJ Styles matches. LOVE Owens as Universal Champion-about damn time he gets to main event some stuff. But HHH? Again? Really? They're just starting to go all in on this "new era" business, then he comes back? If it's to battle for authority again, I'm out. But is he a face or a heel? Is this the beginning of the Rollins face turn? If so, why did they pop just as loud for when he Pedigreed Reigns as when he did it to Rollins?

Unless I'm missing some obvious direction they can go with this, I just see way too many "Undertaker v. Shane for control of Raw-then let's give Shane control of Raw when he loses any" sized plot holes to be made here. Plus THAT automatically becomes the main story, bumping Owens back down the card by default, doesn't it?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Oh! And it was John Cena's nose which got injured against Rollins, but that was a flying knee and not the powerbomb to the corner.

And yet the one move of his they've banned is the curb stomp. Weird.
Master Skywalker

Adam54 wrote:I bought the girlfriend and I Bayley shirts to wear to NXT next month. THREE DAYS LATER she FINALLY got called up.

You're welcome, America.

I'm on the verge of cancelling my Network subscription and just using less scrupulous methods to hunt down the PPVs. Or at least the AJ Styles matches. LOVE Owens as Universal Champion-about damn time he gets to main event some stuff. But HHH? Again? Really? They're just starting to go all in on this "new era" business, then he comes back? If it's to battle for authority again, I'm out. But is he a face or a heel? Is this the beginning of the Rollins face turn? If so, why did they pop just as loud for when he Pedigreed Reigns as when he did it to Rollins?

Unless I'm missing some obvious direction they can go with this, I just see way too many "Undertaker v. Shane for control of Raw-then let's give Shane control of Raw when he loses any" sized plot holes to be made here. Plus THAT automatically becomes the main story, bumping Owens back down the card by default, doesn't it?
I'm not exactly sure where they're headed with HHH delivering the Pedigree to Rollins, but I'm all for it since we got Owens as champ! :D Really happy for the guy.

I think they were cheering when HHH attacked Rollins because it meant Owens was going to become champion, and they LOVED that. Doesn't mean they won't still pop for Rollins.

What's more interesting is that it seemed like Steph had no idea HHH was going to do what he did, so are they setting up a heel-vs-heel storyline between the two of them? Why would he go against his wife?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Did you see the video of Owens' son reacting to the win? It's sweet stuff.

Upon further review, I'm more okay with this than I thought. There's a solid amount of intrigue no matter which way they spin it, but maaaaaan do I hope they're using it to turn Rollins face. I'd say Owens should be a face, but Owens should never be a face. He's too damn good at being a bad guy.

Though I'd ask...is Steph even a heel anymore? She's been playing a pretty watered down version of that character since begrudgingly teaming with Shane and then openly embracing Foley.

On the Smackdown side of things, how fucking amazing is The Miz right now? If this isn't his prime, I cannot wait to see his prime. That shoot-ish promo on Bryan was pure 80s wrestling gold. Tremendous stuff and I constantly find myself ready, willing, and eager to hate that guy. He's doing great work.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

I haven't seen too much WWE lately (I think I pissed off my buddy Murdertrain, which sounds like a bad idea) but I activly looked up this Bailey person.

I believe in a thing called love.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

She's just the best, isn't she? I maintain that if ever there were a gateway to get Dalty into wrestling, it's Bayley.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Maintain away!!

I doubt CM Punk's UFC debut is going to do much to convince Dalty that professional wrestling is anything worthwhile.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

NXT live is fuuuuuuuuuun. Tye Dillinger is gonna be a star.

Also? I've gotten the girlfriend into pro wrestling. All it took was one live show.

Pick the time and the place and I'm there, Dalty! There are few more fun ways to spend a couple hours!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I am still reeling that you managed to pull her!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And I mean that with the utmost affection, you big Finnish bear, you!

How big is a big Finnish bear? 5'10"?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And cuddly as hell!
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:I am still reeling that you managed to pull her!
Nobody is more surprised than I am, believe me!
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:How big is a big Finnish bear? 5'10"?
Give or take half an inch.

That's barely big! That's, like, a single inch on Tom Hardy, British Wee Man Actor Extraordinaire!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Size isn't everything. As I have been telling myself since my 14th birthday.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And in all seriousness. Good work Skoglund. Good work.