The Middle-East / Radical Islam

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

The Middle-East / Radical Islam

Post by Dalty »

Because whilst this would probably be a massively inflammatory thread on another board, I like and respect all you guys and am interested in your discussions and debates.

So, it turns out that everybody was kind of right!

Afghanistan was never going to be made into a functioning democracy.
Iraq was a mistake.
Both approaches were naive.
Similarly, the Arab Spring that most applauded has now proved to be a nightmare.
Some of these 'awful' Dictators were actually the best bet to keep a lid on these lunatics.
We have been wrong and complicit in both directions.

Discuss.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: The Middle-East / Radical Islam

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

I'll go ahead and warn you that I'm not going to have anything of value to contribute in this thread.

In other words, my contribution here is likely to be like my contributions elsewhere.
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by omicron »

I guess the problem is "sure he's an asshole, but he keeps the bigger assholes in check"

scarletregina
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by scarletregina »

I really have no thoughts on the situation other than that it is a big fucking mess and a good deal of that mess is of our own making.

I wish I had more coherent thoughts, but I don't feel like I'm informed enough to constructively chime in. I'm more informed about Russia/Ukraine than the Middle East
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Exactly. There is a long history of the West making a mess of things there (involvement in Iraq, no involvement in Syria), and nothing seems likely to help in the future, at least not as long as the extremists hold sway. I think many people, myself included, have reached a level of fatigue in considering the problem.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

The Arab Spring obviously had mixed results, at best. But something like it was going to happen eventually.

A dictator is a dictator regardless, and no dictator is "good." When you know that your countrys corrupt, brutal ruler is funded, armed and backed by a foreign superpower, you're going to be angry at said superpower. That anger will express itself in many ways, ranging from peaceful protest to actions that the West names "terrorism." Groups like Boko Haram, Islamic State of Iraq, and yes, even the Taliban should really be seen as popular uprisings against deeply corrupt regimes. Their methods are psychotic, of course, but it is a reaction to the equally violent, authoritarian tactics of the regimes we have been funding, and they have been fighting.

We have seen this many times before, the world over, regardless of religious or ethnic context. We could just as easily be having this conversation about South American leftists, India's Naxalites, Tamil separatists or Irish nationalists. I believe religion in and of itself is not necessarily the primary driving force in Middle Eastern conflict. That may sound heretical, but really, if you look at the Palestinian groups active in the 70's, they tended to have names such as Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine, etc. These were groups driven by Marxist or Maoist ideology, not Islam. They were more likely to have a framed picture of Lenin adorning the office wall, than they were to bow to Mecca five times a day. Forty years on, and ideologies have changed, but the problems remain. It is a fact of human nature that most people would rather be misruled by their own than occupied, however "well-intentioned" (as if our intentions were ever all that beneficent), by a foreign power.

And I'm not sure how much of a "mistake" the Iraq War really was. The Bush Administration was deeply mistaken, obviously. However, I believe that the neoconservative inner cabal advising the Bushies on foreign policy knew exactly what they were doing. Destabilize Iraq, possibly forever; have that spill over into Syria; increase the level of terrorism and general chaos in the region; all for the benefit of Israel's foreign policy and USA's military-industrial complex(or do I repeat myself), where business has been a-booming over the past decade.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Seems to me that at least one positive outcome could result from this. If Iran and the US worked together at some level to deal with ISIS, it could lead to a thawing of relations between the two countries and progress on Syria and the nuclear issue.

Maybe, anyway.

This was hard to watch.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Why does anyone still listen to these bloody fools anymore.
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

Because ISIS is selling t-shirts too?

Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Good lookin' broad. Swell gams.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

See Syria helped by bombing Iraq today.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Bombing Iraq? Only Whitey gets to do that.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Legend has it that when Saddam was expelled from Kuwait and was on the ropes Colin Powell, Stormin' Norman and Peter De La Billier all had to council Major and Bush Sr that Saddam must be left in power (but contained) at all costs.

But wait - then Bush Jr decided to break that tripwire supported by War Criminal Blair. But others complained and said this was a mistake.

However the same people who said it was a mistake also supported the Arab spring which did the same job in other places.

And the people who attacked us said they did it because we supported these dictators. But here we were supporting the toppling of these dictators but we have unleashed and empowered people to attack us more.

Cake - eat it!
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I'm not sure it's accurate to compare the Arab uprisings, which began as more or less spontaneous, grassroots level "people power" movements; with a deliberate act of military aggression against a sovereign country, regime change and subsequent occupation.

Also, I'm not convinced of the extent to which the Obama Administration welcomed these uprisings, particularly in Egypt. Clinton's initial response was to stand by the autocrat Hosni Mubarak, describing him as a "role model for the region," or words to that effect. The same administration continues to support the new junta in Cairo, who are currently busying themselves with mass executions of MB leaders and members.

America's policies in the Middle East are seen as deeply hypocritical and contradictory: backing rulers or rebels when it appears to serve some short-term perceived strategic or economic interest; then reversing course when it doesn't. All the while justifying these policies with the usual blather about democracy and human rights.

I know you'll say every country does this, but in the case of the Middle East, it is far more glaring.
Last edited by Space Tycoon on July 11th, 2014, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Space Tycoon wrote:I'm not sure it's accurate to compare the Arab uprisings, which began as more or less spontaneous, grassroots level "people power" movements; with a deliberate act of military aggression against a sovereign country, regime change and subsequent occupation.
The method may have seemed desirable. But the outcome is the same.

I see they have declared a Caphilate. Good.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Caliphate, even.

I wonder if Wiz Khalifa has any thoughts on the matter?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Queen Latifa is horrified.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I find this morbidly amusing, as do many others. You eventually become that which you hate.

Last edited by Space Tycoon on July 11th, 2014, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

When in doubt, watch TVO.

It's a few weeks old, but still relevant.

Space Tycoon wrote:Image
That's good stuff.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

It's currently my desktop wallpaper. Yes, I still use a PC.

I do, too.