Current Annoyances

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Re: Current Annoyances

Post by Space Tycoon »

Space Tycoon wrote:The worst is open mic night.
Not that my cover of "Light My Fire" is a feat worthy of song...

And yes, pun intended.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Mango wrote:How do I track this person down?
That's a question for Jedi Magnum.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Google the number for starters. Then try "Whois" or other service. Call it from a pay phone.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

TLDR: Figured it out, i'm safe.

Thanks Dalty, those were my first instincts actually. My second was come here and complain, heh.

Google told me it was a Verizon number and originated in my town. Any more info required money.

My town has no more payphones, at least none I can find.

I took in a movie, made my brain follow logic tracks.

Went to Verizon, asked a man with silly hair if he could violate civil rights for me. He said no, also my contact at the store no longer works there.

He suggested the cops, but the noir hero in me felt that was a bad next step. Last step, sure, because reasonable.

Then I hit up my work place and found the phone number call sheet.

Found the perp. Told my boss, just in case this was more than a simple "hey, we work together today" but phrased badly.

I really feel like grabbing a cup of coffee and a cigarette. But it's hot and I don't smoke...
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So what happened? You got a voicemail from some mystery number that said "I know where you work!" and that's it? Nothing else on the message?
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

They're taking our desk phones away at work, and we are only supposed to use Skype for Business when talking to the people in New York, India, and elsewhere.
Mango

Post by Mango »

Dalty wrote:So what happened? You got a voicemail from some mystery number that said "I know where you work!" and that's it? Nothing else on the message?
I received a text that read "Boo! See you soon."

Imagining this to be a mistake, I replied "Do I know you?"

The response was "Don't know...You work at [redacted]".

Not overly concerning, but just enough, especially given that I've had to cancel my credit card twice this past year.
I get the occasional random messages, and have even joked a bit with the sender should they seem good humored. But, pulling out personal info struck me as bordering on creepy.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Maybe she thought you were "Her Boo!" and she was looking forward to seeing you imminently?
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

Current Annoyance:

This fucking quote I just read on Facebook:
"Are we eradicating oppressions, or are the oppressed being co-opted as part of the oppressor?"

*barf*

That reads like it might have been written by a person I know.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

National polls. I'm forever annoyed by national polls.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:That reads like it might have been written by a person I know.
I think I know who you think might have written it, but it wasn't that person. It was a former student of mine.

I figured out it wasn't the particular person by looking at the particular person's recent posts.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Gastroenteritis. Uuuurgh.

Since 2:30am until now (7pm in the U.K.) have been projectile out one end, watery explosions from other. So grateful there is a sink next to the toilet in my ensuite.

I feel absolutely terrible. Nothing left but body keeps trying. Considering praying to a deity to make this stop.

I think I know which end is doing which, but I could be wrong.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

That really sucks (or maybe "blows" would be more appropriate in this case).

I hope Mrs. Dalty has been spared!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So far! Liberal use of anti-bac spray and wipes required. I feel like I have been very badly beaten up. Everything hurts.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Current Annoyance:

A coworker told me about a private (i.e., non-public) Facebook page/group called "Pantsuit Nation," which essentially functions as a support group for intimidated Clinton supporters. Apparently, in parts of the country, people who displayed posters in their yards in support of Hillary Clinton had their posters and property defaced or vandalized. Others were bullied for talking openly about their political allegiance. The fact that this page exist is not an annoyance - I understand that someone would feel upset, scared, and angry at not being allowed to exercise his right to free speech and would look for like-minded individuals with whom to exchange like-minded ideas.

What annoys me is the way my coworker talks about this group, which also seems to mirror the way it has been received on the internet. I haven't joined it and don't plan on joining it, but I doubt that most people who have joined it are victims of bullying or other hostility aimed at them after professing their support of Clinton. My coworker certainly isn't. If this were a club existing in the physical world, I can just imagine its members getting together to sing "We Shall Overcome" and then to commiserate with each other on the plight of Clinton supporters. At least that's what I think of when I read article titles such as Secret Facebook group is giving Clinton supporters so much hope. It's this public (or semi-public, given that the Facebook group is not accessible to everyone but has thousands of members) self-fashioning as victims, as the downtrodden that annoys me.

I keep reading headlines for articles talking about sign removals and politically driven acts of vandalism and defacement perpetrated on and by both Clinton and Trump supporters. (Oddly enough, I saw that a Trump supporter shared this mere seconds before I visited Huffy Flounce. I think the article, itself, is a few days old. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before.) It's apparently more a thing this time around than it ever has been. Naturally, Trump supporters share the Trump-sympathetic articles, and Clinton supporters share the Clinton-sympathetic articles. I've also seen people claiming that some of these acts of vandalism were perpetrated by the people, themselves, in hopes of portraying their political opponents in a poorer light. I've seen people on both sides posting videos of people being verbally and physically combative when encountering people on the other side of the voting spectrum, too.

I've never put a political sticker on my car. A big part of that is that Disco Beau doesn't advertise. Another big part of this is that those stickers devalue the car and start looking ugly as soon as the sun begins to bleach them. Another big part of this is that the stickers often cease to be relevant after the election and can be kind of embarrassing.

Yet another part of it is that I was just sure somebody would see the political sticker, become angry at me, and let the air out of my tires or do something more damaging. I felt this worry even before the current political climate. I'd be doubly unlikely to put a political sticker on my car these days. (It's Jubbers's car, anyway. I pretty much only own books at this point.)

They have magnet banners, too, right? That seems like it would be the way to go if I were ever to go that way. My guess is that angry people would be less likely to damage or deface if a magnet were involved. They could just remove the magnet and add it to their fridge spite collection.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Mal Shot First wrote:Current Annoyance:
What annoys me is the way my coworker talks about this group, which also seems to mirror the way it has been received on the internet. I haven't joined it and don't plan on joining it, but I doubt that most people who have joined it are victims of bullying or other hostility aimed at them after professing their support of Clinton. My coworker certainly isn't. If this were a club existing in the physical world, I can just imagine its members getting together to sing "We Shall Overcome" and then to commiserate with each other on the plight of Clinton supporters. At least that's what I think of when I read article titles such as Secret Facebook group is giving Clinton supporters so much hope. It's this public (or semi-public, given that the Facebook group is not accessible to everyone but has thousands of members) self-fashioning as victims, as the downtrodden that annoys me.
I don't know that members see themselves as victims, more that they're sick and tired of the constant attacks on Hillary, who has been subject to an incredible double-standard throughout this campaign, if not her entire career. If you're a woman, especially an older one who has been subject to the same kinds of belittling and dismissals over the years, I can understand the need for a safe place to express your enthusiasm and not be shouted down, or told you're supporting a liar, or any of the other judgments you're subject to when you publicly express support for her.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I just ate a whole pack of Birthday Cake flavour Oreos and now I feel dirty and used.
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

I've been battling a cold/sinus infection for a week and a half now and the bastard shows no sign of relenting. My face is going to become a pile of splinters covered in mucus.

It's not quite splinters plus mucus, but here's Splinter minus ooze:

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Does she get...... ratty.... when ill?
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

Went to urgent care yesterday. Sinus infection has now been joined by an ear infection, and said ear is temporarily deaf, which has me really thrown off.