Current Annoyances

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: Current Annoyances

Post by Dalty »

It's Jubbers Magic - she will show you the power.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

Current Annoyance

This week's First 15 episode by Penny Arcade. For those of you not familiar with it, First 15 is Penny Arcade's version of a Let's Play style series, in which they pick up a game they haven't played before and play it for 15 minutes, capturing their reactions on film. It can be pretty amusing when they get the right type of game. Yesterday's installment, however, was just plain annoying.

Mike in particular can be a real dick, and he often makes judgments about certain games based on dumb criteria. If the art style of a game doesn't appeal to him, the entire game is automatically trash. If he doesn't understand right away how to play a game, it's automatically trash (it doesn't help that he doesn't care about reading on-screen instructions). The game in the video below is clearly building up in difficulty and trying to teach the player progressively how to play the game. Mike, though, is just so stuck in certain patterns and doesn't actually try to apply what the game just taught him. He's not experimenting with different approaches and instead just tries the same strategies over and over again. And then he shits all over the game for being too hard. It's hard to believe sometimes that he's been playing video games for most of his life and actually plays and designs games for a living.

Oh, and by the way, I actually thought that Furi wasn't any worse or better than the game they played last week (Dub Wars), yet they got raging boners playing last week's game.
Master Skywalker
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Master Skywalker »

Mal Shot First wrote:Current Annoyance

This week's First 15 episode by Penny Arcade. For those of you not familiar with it, First 15 is Penny Arcade's version of a Let's Play style series, in which they pick up a game they haven't played before and play it for 15 minutes, capturing their reactions on film. It can be pretty amusing when they get the right type of game. Yesterday's installment, however, was just plain annoying.

Mike in particular can be a real dick, and he often makes judgments about certain games based on dumb criteria. If the art style of a game doesn't appeal to him, the entire game is automatically trash. If he doesn't understand right away how to play a game, it's automatically trash (it doesn't help that he doesn't care about reading on-screen instructions). The game in the video below is clearly building up in difficulty and trying to teach the player progressively how to play the game. Mike, though, is just so stuck in certain patterns and doesn't actually try to apply what the game just taught him. He's not experimenting with different approaches and instead just tries the same strategies over and over again. And then he shits all over the game for being too hard. It's hard to believe sometimes that he's been playing video games for most of his life and actually plays and designs games for a living.

Oh, and by the way, I actually thought that Furi wasn't any worse or better than the game they played last week (Dub Wars), yet they got raging boners playing last week's game.
The Penny Arcade guys are such a mixed bag. At times, I agree wholeheartedly with something they've observed and commented on via their comic strip. Many times, though, they come off as tone-deaf assholes (a certain kind of "wolves" comes to mind).

Also, Jerry can shove his ridiculously obtuse, ego-stroking writing style up his pompous ass.
On December 20, 2019, the Greatest Saga Ever... concludes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May the Force be with you
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I think I tend to agree more with Jerry than with Mike (and I agree about Jerry's writing style, by the way). Jerry and I seem to share an appreciation for plot-driven experiences and complex systems. Like he, I am willing to forgo graphical polish for a deep gaming experience.

Re: Dickwolves - I still think people overreacted over a dumb joke. On the other hand, it's true that the PA guys didn't handle the situation well at all. I have to admit, though, that I can't watch the Law & Order credits without snickering because they remind me of the strip.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

White people in sports bars who feel the need to yell "Ba Ba Ba!!!" every goddamned time the chorus of Sweet Caroline rings through the speakers.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Must be a Canadian thing. US Americans prefer "Dun Dun DUHHHN!"
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Either way, everyone loses.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Crazy white people!

This kind of shit annoys me:

https://www.facebook.com/GoodNeighborsF ... =3&theater

I don't believe for a second that this exchange actually happened. I believe, instead, that some farmer dreamed up a fantasy scenario wherein a humble farmer puts some uppity straw woman in her place. And then I think this farmer posted the fantasy scenario on-line so that a specific group of people would trip over themselves to stroke the egos of our nation's farmers.

The farmer already had the straw on hand. Might as well make a straw woman out of it.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

So yesterday a woman I've known for almost 25 years was killed while riding her bike. I haven't heard it confirmed from police reports, but she was riding with friends and according to them the car illegally passed on a double yellow and hit her head on.

So yeah, that sucks, a lot. But the topper is the comments on the initial news report of a bicycle fatality, where a lot of people bitched that roads are for cars, and bicyclists ride like maniacs anyway and what do they expect. Never mind that there were no details posted about the specific case, they used this woman's death to make snarky comments with utterly no shame. Never mind that this woman was a world-champion triathlete and very experienced biker, she shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I guess I'm upset at her senseless death, but really pissed at the cowards who use the anonymity of the Internet to complete forget how to be a human being.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:This kind of shit annoys me:

https://www.facebook.com/GoodNeighborsF ... =3&theater

I don't believe for a second that this exchange actually happened. I believe, instead, that some farmer dreamed up a fantasy scenario wherein a humble farmer puts some uppity straw woman in her place. And then I think this farmer posted the fantasy scenario on-line so that a specific group of people would trip over themselves to stroke the egos of our nation's farmers.

The farmer already had the straw on hand. Might as well make a straw woman out of it.
I like how his big QED was that the (straw) woman also charged people for her services, so it follows that he should also charge people for his services. The slight difference there is that he is basically demanding a $2 cover charge without providing any type of service. Just to enter his farmer's market, I'd have to pay $2 without even having bought anything (if I understood the situation correctly). Couldn't this $2 charge have been distributed across the prices of his products? If he's so proud of the things he's selling, he should be confident enough that people will buy them at the slightly higher price.

Of course, if there really was a well-educated person there with a relatively high-paying job who complained about a $2 cover charge, I probably would have felt the urge to smack that person.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

What's a farmers market?

It's a thing that has an easily accessible Wikipedia entry.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I want you to say it.

You're all like:

I'm all like:

Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:You're all like:

I'm all like:

Horsedick.
Fix'd.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Gene Wilder. Sad face.
Scotia

Post by Scotia »

Space Tycoon wrote:White people in sports bars who feel the need to yell "Ba Ba Ba!!!" every goddamned time the chorus of Sweet Caroline rings through the speakers.
Jesus Mary and Joseph.

I agree. And it hurts like a mother

Scotia's additional input has me believing that all Canadians say "Ba Ba Ba!" instead of "Dun Dun DUHHHN!" I guess the differences between Canadian and US pronunciation go beyond "sorry" and "about."
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Whereas in New Zealand and Wales "Ba Ba Ba!" is a mating call.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:Scotia's additional input has me believing that all Canadians say "Ba Ba Ba!" instead of "Dun Dun DUHHHN!" I guess the differences between Canadian and US pronunciation go beyond "sorry" and "about."
My country is an exotic land of never-ending mystery and adventure.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And Sweet Caroline being played in bars!
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Neil Diamond had a dream that was Sweet Caroline.

That is not it, Dalty! THAT IS NOT IT!!
Last edited by Space Tycoon on September 5th, 2016, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Scotia wrote:
Space Tycoon wrote:White people in sports bars who feel the need to yell "Ba Ba Ba!!!" every goddamned time the chorus of Sweet Caroline rings through the speakers.
Jesus Mary and Joseph.

I agree. And it hurts like a mother
The worst is open mic night.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

I got a text from an unknown number today.

They know my place of business. I do not appreciate such things.

How do I track this person down?