Current Annoyances

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: Current Annoyances

Post by Dalty »

As would Maegor. Meagor? Whatever.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I do feel for the London taxi drivers, as Uber is basically unlicensed minicab drivers empowered by digital logistics. However it's also progress/ competition / disruption. Same as hotel owners being kept on their toes by Airbnb etc.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

That's how I feel about it, too. Driving a cab is a tough job, and I feel bad for cabbies who are losing business to Uber. On the other hand, though, even if Uber charged the same price for a ride as most cab companies, I would still use it for the sheer convenience of the experience. At least half of Uber's success is due to the app, in my opinion.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Although in London you can stick your arm out and get a cabbie who has passed the "knowledge" and knows where he is going. Problem comes at busy times and when cabbie wants to go home so won't go South that time of night etc.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Current Annoyance:

I'm getting sick to death of seeing Donald Trump referred to as "That Orange Guy." I have four reasons for this.

1. That joke has been worn into the ground.
2. Unless your name is John Oliver, you didn't start it.
3. It wasn't that funny in the first place.
4. There are approximately 14 million legitimate reasons to mock and belittle Donald Trump. Picking the one you're only picking because a comedian told you to and is being used by everyone else who is equally unoriginal is just annoying.

That is all.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Here's what we originally said about it:
The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:The "That Orange Guy" closer is pretty dumb. It wasn't so bad up to that point--at least in terms of giving people easily digestible clips of Trump contradicting himself, being an ass, et cetera.

Seemed a bad way to end a sketch. It's like he consulted with a modern SNL writer.

People have been pretty positive about that particular bit, which is a little disappointing for me. It's essentially employing the same kind of tactics Trump employs. (In a subversive enough way to excuse it, maybe? I don't think so. I'm sure others do.) It's literally name-calling. It's also more evidence, if you needed it, that some of the people on the left are as easy to turn into sound-bite-recycling zombies as some of the people on the right.

Is "That Orange Guy" a funny name? I guess. Lots of people have funny names. It's from generations and generations ago, though. It makes me think of a portmanteau of the German words "dumpf" and "Rumpf." That's also kinda funny.

I know Oliver felt he needed a big closer, but I saw it as kinda weak. It's hashtag fishing.
Mal Shot First wrote:That Orange Guy sounds like it's probably of Germanic origin. Trump translates to Trumpf in German (as in "trump card"), and due to the D <--> T sound shift among German dialects, I could imagine that Trumpf would be pronounced and written as That Orange Guy in certain regions.

I agree that it was kind of lame to end the bit on a name-shaming joke. I was with him up to the point where he says that the man needs to be decoupled from his brand, but I also have my doubts as to whether Trump would be less successful if people didn't associate his name with success. It seems to me that it's actually his rhetoric that's been resonating with voters rather than just the name Trump and all that it entails.
The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:The "That Orange Guy" thing is the kind of observation that would have been a cute standalone joke somewhere in the middle of all that. "We're supposed to listen to a guy whose family name used to be 'That Orange Guy'? No, seriously. It wasn't always 'Trump.' Go look it up." Then move on from there.
The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:
Mal Shot First wrote:That Orange Guy sounds like it's probably of Germanic origin. Trump translates to Trumpf in German (as in "trump card"), and due to the D <--> T sound shift among German dialects, I could imagine that Trumpf would be pronounced and written as That Orange Guy in certain regions.
I meant to add that I had planned a followup post that would have covered the above, but I was sort of glad to see you'd done it for me. I doubt mine would have been as succinct. I was going to try to do a little etymological legwork, and that kind of thing can be involving.

Unrelated to shifting consonant sounds in dialectical German:

Larry Flynt's invitation to Trump to measure Trump's penis is in keeping with Larry Flynt's character and shtick, so it works in a way that Oliver's "That Orange Guy" thing doesn't.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Ah, see, we're on the same page then. You guys just got there faster. I took the "ignore it til it goes away" approach-and it hasn't gone the fuck away yet so now I'm annoyed.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I tried that, it's still her. It's all still here.

Dalty wrote:I tried that, it's still her.
That's no way to talk about your baby's mama.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Typo!

Negative or positive? You'll need to know. For the baby's sake.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Positive it was a typo.

Positive, eh? How about you? Are you a donor match?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I wish there was a way to enlarge these, but alas...

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Kebabs. You're talkin' about kebabs.

ö
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Inspectors are coming today, but by all accounts I have bedbugs in my apartment.

"Currently Annoyed" puts it mildly, but since there's no thread for "Currently Disgusted, Well Beyond Stressed, Freaked Out and Itchy" here I am.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

New annoyance: I spent all day yesterday preparing for the apartment to be sprayed since, y'know, the apartment management told me "Prepare your apartment to be sprayed, they're spraying tomorrow and you should basically throw everything you own into plastic bags."

I just got a call of "They'll be there between 1-3 to inspect and we'll let you know after that what will happen."

WHY THE FUCK DID I WASTE AN AFTERNOON PUTTING MY CRAP INTO BAGS THEN?!

So annoyed. SO ANNOYED.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

They didn't find bedbugs. I should be relieved, yet I'm annoyed they didn't find ANYTHING, which means there's almost certainly still SOMETHING there which has been causing the insect bite marks all over my body.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Crabs? Boil wash your bed linen and your underwear! And your towels!! And give Little Adam a military haircut!
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Most of my sores are on my chest/mid stomach, Dimple! It can't be crabs. Little Adam barely reaches past the belly button.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Could be viral?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

The sores, not little Adam and the belly button.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Are you finding small reddish-brown spots on your bedsheets? That's usually an indicator of bedbugs. If you don't see any on your sheets, take off the sheets and examine the edges of your mattress, focusing on the seams. Bedbugs like to hide in the crevices, so if you see these brown spots in those areas (or the bugs themselves), you're dealing with bedbugs.

If the inspectors were any good, they've already checked all this, but I don't know how they determined that there aren't any bedbugs, so maybe you should check again yourself.

Unfortunately, Adam only buys reddish-brown bedsheets and mattresses.