Songs that annoy Huffy Flouncers

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Songs that annoy Huffy Flouncers

Post by Mal Shot First »

I guess I could post songs in the Current Annoyances thread, but I wouldn't want that thread to be flooded with videos. Making a separate thread for them also allows for posting older songs that still annoy us, but wouldn't necessarily qualify as current annoyances.

Whatever, I just wanted to create a new topic.
Mal Shot First

Re: Songs that annoy Huffy Flouncers

Post by Mal Shot First »

Take a listen to this fucking travesty.

The sampling of the lines from "Baby Got Back" takes all of the rhythm out of the song. The pauses between the repeated "My anaconda don't want none" are waaaay too long. It's not like Nicki Minaj is a great songwriter, but damn, at least get someone to do your music right. And while she's at it, maybe she should also take some lip-syncing lessons. I'd heard the song before, but I hadn't seen the video until tonight. Right from the start, it looks as if she didn't know the lyrics to her own song.

Goddamn.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

I heard this on the radio and thought "why would anyone want to listen to this?"
I mean i'll watch the video, because the video is pretty amazing.
But to listen to it? Hell no, especially when it simply cuts into the sampling and it just sounds like my radio is skipping for a bit.

On a related note, me and my girlfriend were discussing the recent-ish discussion over the overtly sexy Spider-Woman variant cover. As we watched this video it occurred to us that the cover was not that anatomically incorrect. Also, Nicki might make a pretty interesting Spider-Woman.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Right off the bat, this song annoys me because the band's name and the song's title indicate some kind of crisis of national identity.

It took a couple of times of hearing this song on the radio for me to realize that it's basically all chorus. At first I thought that I kept catching the second half where there aren't any new verses, but no - the vocalist barely manages to eke out two measly lines (and doesn't even manage to rhyme them) before jumping into the chorus... after 30 seconds. It's fucking pathetic.

The second verse consists of two lines again, but at least there's a rudimentary rhyme there this time. The rest is more chorus.

Why do other bands even try?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Mango wrote:Also, Nicki might make a pretty interesting Spider-Woman.
As long as she doesn't have any speaking parts.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Mal wrote:Whatever, I just wanted to create a new topic.
Somebody's gotta create occasional new topics, and Dalty isn't here for the time being. I actually started going through the motions of creating a "Reverse-Dalty" account. I wanted to do this because Dalty uses a screen capture of the Flash as his avatar, and because one of the Flash's most noteworthy nemeses is called Reverse-Flash/Doctor Zoom. (If you're unfamiliar with the character, think Negaduck.)

I eventually Ipsed. Part of the Ipsing had to do with GIMP. Instead of just grabbing an image of Reverse-Flash, I decided I wanted to take Dalty's image and mod it into a Reverse-Flash image. I wasn't satisfied with the results, so I just dropped it.

I probably shouldn't blame GIMP entirely. There's no guaranteeing I would have been satisfied with the PhotoShop results, either.

I considered putting PhotoShop on this laptop, but it would require me to put a Windows emulator on it first. That's a lot of hassle for a joke as dumb as a new user named Reverse-Dalty.

Well, it wasn't actually going to be a new user. It was going to Fake Strider with a new skin.

I'm not saying Fake Strider is my creation, mind you. Just because I have the keys to the car doesn't mean I built it.

Anyway, here are two songs that annoy me greatly:

I'm pretty sure I wrote out just what it is about these two songs that annoys me on Corona. I can copy and paste if'n you want.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I'll listen to those later when I need my annoyance fix.
Upon reading Mango's post about Nicki Minaj, it occurred to me that her song has subversive potential by taking a sample from a song that objectifies women based on the size/shape of their butts and incorporating it into a song that objectifies men based on the size of their penises. Nicki does what rappers have been doing for decades, i.e., boasting about her sexual prowess, but doing this as a woman is still considered somewhat taboo and easily gets you labeled as a slut. By framing it in terms of sexual conquests, she's sort of trying to preempt any derogatory comments about her open promiscuity.

One way in which this attempt falls flat, though, is in how the lines from Sir Mix-a-Lot's song were used in "Anaconda" - instead of actually focusing on the anaconda, the chorus ends up focusing on the buns again. The other way in which it falls flat, of course, is in how the video also literally turns the gaze back on the women - for a song about men's reproductive organs, there are strikingly few (zero) men in the video. Instead of achieving empowerment, Nicki Minaj only succeeds in objectifying herself. Well done!

Plus, you know, the song sucks.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

We stream an iHeart Radio station at work all day. The station itself is great, don't get me wrong. The trouble is, they have the same eight commercials playing over and over and over and over all day long since we're streaming it and not listening to the station live locally. One of those commercials was for the "iHeart Radio Music Festival" which they force-tagged as "Music's Holy Grail."

One of the artists featured at "Music's Holy Grail?"

Nicki Minaj.

That annoyed me the first time I heard it and annoyed me more each of the 14,352 subsequent times I heard it. You cannot forcibly call something "Music's Holy Grail" and then declare that it features Nicki Minaj. You just cannot have it both ways.
Last edited by Adam54 on September 24th, 2014, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

That said, if ever you're curious, the station we listen to all day is www.radio1045.com.

It's really damn good and nowhere near as repetitive as the stuff we have locally in Minneapolis, at any rate.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I have my car radio set to 92.9, which proclaims itself Boston's alternative station. About a third of their catalog is stuff that is considered alternative today (I wouldn't have figured that Bastille is considered alternative, but whatever). The other two-thirds is music that was considered alternative in the 1990s and early 2000s. A good chunk of that two-thirds seems to be taken up by Pearl Jam (ugh), but they generally play decent stuff.

When there's a commercial break on 92.9 or if they're playing a song I don't want to listen to, my immediate alternative is 103.3 for some reason, which plays club music. I'd listen to the classic rock station as an alternative to the alternative station, but I can't stand the DJs over there. They talk way too much and just think they're hot shit. Anyway, 103.3 is how I was exposed to the Nicki Minaj song. Motherfuckers.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I've listened to 92.9, oddly enough. They aren't bad, but Radio 1045 was preferable for the reasons you mentioned. More of a focus on today's alternative stuff and I don't know that I've ever actually heard them play a Pearl Jam song. It's rare if they do. They play a lot of Muse, which is always a good thing.

I like the eight Boston commercials in rotation better than the eight Philly commercials in the streaming rotation though.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Minneapolis equivalent would be 97.1. Cities 97, they call it.

They play the same 14 songs or so, mixing in some decent alternative/90s alternative with Katy Perry, Pharell singing about how happy he is, more Katy Perry, Pharell being happy, Katy Perry Katy Perry and Katy Perry.

There's also something called The Current, which is truly alternative, without the Katy Perry.

Just listened to about a minute of "Anaconda." To me, the most annoying thing is how lazy it is. My ears kept waiting for the sample to open up and stop sounding so tinny/treble-y. Usually, the whole reason for the over-tinny treble is for that big open-up moment. When it never happened, I felt robbed.

Maybe it's my fault for being conditioned to expect this shift. I'm trying to think of songs that employ it, but the only one that's really coming to mind is Fastball's "The Way." I'm sure others will eventually come to mind.

Of course, my grandmother is in the next room, and I have the volume way down. Maybe it only seems like it's not opening up because the volume's so low.
omicron

Post by omicron »

There's like two stanzas, and then the other 75% of the song is just a constant repeat of the chorus.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Adam54 wrote:I don't know that I've ever actually heard them (Radio 1045) play a Pearl Jam song. It's rare if they do.
They just played "Better Man."

I brought that on myself.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

omicron wrote:

There's like two stanzas, and then the other 75% of the song is just a constant repeat of the chorus.
Could not agree more. Ugh.

I'm not even sure adults are supposed to know that song exists. Is it some kind of Radio Disney crossover hit? Is it on actual pop radio?
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Mal Shot First wrote:Right off the bat, this song annoys me because the band's name and the song's title indicate some kind of crisis of national identity.

I love that song. :(

Mal Shot First wrote:
This shit's pretty annoying. It's like some unholy mélange of Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy" and Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning." It doesn't really sound like either of those songs, but somehow I feel like throwing them in a blender, dumping them in a bowl, and squirting some incredibly affected, Decemberists-like vocals on top of them would result in something like Bastille's "Pompeii." (I wrote Bastille's "Pompous" at first. Maybe I should have left it like that.)
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I love that song.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Mal Shot First wrote:Plus, you know, the song sucks.
Nonetheless, that video will soon be responsible for the death of yet another ferret at the hands of an ass-obsessed Canadian.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

I thought a Nicky Minaj was what you might get if you had unprotected intercourse with a cheap Filipino hooker in a dive bar in Manilla?
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

No, that's a Burning Minaj.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

When did having a fat arse become a sign of sexuality, as opposed to a sign of liking cake too much?
scarletregina
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by scarletregina »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:Decemberists-like vocals on top of them would result in something like Bastille's "Pompeii." (I wrote Bastille's "Pompous" at first. Maybe I should have left it like that.)
I can't fucking stand that Pompeii song.