The Batshit Crazy Republicans Roundup

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: The 2016 Batshit Crazy Republican Presidential Candidate

Post by Dalty »

Nothing they ever did came close to Life Of Brian.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

That's my favorite of theirs. It's probably the one I've seen most. I'm not sure if that's accidental or if it's because I sought it out more. I've only seen Holy Grail once in its entirety. I've watched some of the sketches from The Meaning of Life a number of times (the Mr. Creosote sketch and the "Fishy, Fishy, Fish!" sketch are the ones I've seen the most), but I don't feel any real desire to watch the whole thing from start to finish.

I think a lot of their Flying Circus episodes are hit-or-miss. I guess that's just the nature of sketch comedy.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I agree. People hold up Python as some kind on untouchable genius but I think it's generally average.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I think it's generally awesome, but that's me. I would say that about SNL, however. I guess it takes a lot to make me laugh nowadays.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

In the movies I would say Brian is head and shoulders above all their others. Grail is 70% awesome. In the Meaning of Life I think the Creosote and Grim Reaper sketches are bloody hilarious. Every Sperm Is Sacred is up there too.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I also liked the film version they did of their skits, "And Now For Something Completely Different." Gold.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I have that on DVD. Few years since I have watched it. Time to dust it off again.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

How could you start discussing Python and not call me in? We counted it an example of stand-out parenting that our offspring could recite the entire "help help I'm being repressed" speech by the time he was eight. And we've told him he can't bring home any girl unless she thinks the "fish-slapping" dance is funny. Holy Grail is my favorite because of all the great bits, but Life of Brian hangs together better as a movie.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I can understand how it was all groundbreakingly absurdist when it was originally on TV. I saw the live reunion show recently and it hasn't really aged well, outside the nostalgia factor.
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Adam54 »

Ted Cruz is announcing his candidacy today.

I'm legitimately excited to see how the same people who (very correctly) screeched about Obama not being qualified enough to be president in 2007-08 will explain to the world that a first term Senator (who, unlike Obama, was legitimately born in a foreign country) who has literally made a point of not doing anything is qualified enough to be President. Gonna be some fun times ahead, especially since Cruz is utterly unelectable. He knows that too, but this will parlay nicely into his 2018 gubernatorial plans.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Where are the Republicans who are angry that their political colours have been hijacked by the provisional wing of the Crazy Motherfucker Party? A good, strong (sane) opposition is an essential and desirable part of any democracy. Why do the Palin's get to be the face of Republicans? Surely there must be a core who refuse to let these idiots be their face?

I know nothing about Ted Cruz though. I will look him up.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Hmmmmm. Was going to say that maybe being a first term Senator means he hasn't yet been truly captured by the system but I see he was a domestic policy advisor to Bush before, is a lawyer by trade (aren't they all) and openly supports the Tea Party movement.

So you guys have the same problem we have, SPADs and Policy Wonks coming up through the ranks as professional politicians with limited real world exposure?

Shame really. 44 years old. Only one term in the big house. Son of immigrants. Looked like he could have been promising until you dig a little deeper.

Could that still be preferable to the Bush v Clinton political dynasty wars?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:Hmmmmm. Was going to say that maybe being a first term Senator means he hasn't yet been truly captured by the system but I see he was a domestic policy advisor to Bush before, is a lawyer by trade (aren't they all) and openly supports the Tea Party movement.

So you guys have the same problem we have, SPADs and Policy Wonks coming up through the ranks as professional politicians with limited real world exposure?

Shame really. 44 years old. Only one term in the big house. Son of immigrants. Looked like he could have been promising until you dig a little deeper.

Could that still be preferable to the Bush v Clinton political dynasty wars?
Absolutely not. Either Bush or Clinton would be a better option than this wingnut leader of the Christian Taliban.

I still don't understand what he's basing his candidacy on other than "I've done nothing, and that's GOOD because Washington is bad!"

Well, I take that back. His candidacy is "I'm popular with the base and I need to earn a bunch of money to become Governor of Texas in 2018 and they'll be the ones to give it to me! Huzzah!"
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:Where are the Republicans who are angry that their political colours have been hijacked by the provisional wing of the Crazy Motherfucker Party? A good, strong (sane) opposition is an essential and desirable part of any democracy. Why do the Palin's get to be the face of Republicans? Surely there must be a core who refuse to let these idiots be their face?

I know nothing about Ted Cruz though. I will look him up.
So basically, in American politics (and probably British politics too, you'd know better than me), any time one of these splinter groups comes up within a main party, one of two things happens:

1. The major party will co-opt the ideas they present as their own and the splinter movement will feel embraced
2. The splinter group will stay dissatisfied, fully break off and eventually fade away because the system is heavily rigged to favor the main two parties.

The Tea Party and the Republican party right now are somewhere in between and the country is kind of just waiting for somebody to crack so we can move on and pass meaningful (however you want to define that) laws again. The Republicans have moved FAR right in the past five years (dragging the rest of the country with them, sadly. Barack Obama is for all intents and purposes a moderate Republican) to try to get the kiddos like Cruz to settle down and fall in line, but that hasn't happened yet by a long shot. Why? Because guys like John Boehner and Mitch McConnell are savvy politicians who actually want to try to govern. That requires even the tiniest amounts of compromise sometimes and that's something that's never gonna be okay with the far right.

That's what Ted Cruz is running on. "I'm a true, unflinching conservative! I'll restore America! Vote for me!"

It'll never work in the general though and he's well aware of it, as I mentioned in the other reply.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Don't some of these guys just throw their hat in the ring on a Hail Mary pass, fully expecting to never go any further?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Yes. That's not quite the case here though. My assumption is he thinks he's got a good shot at getting the nomination, but knows he'd never win the general.

In 2012, guys like Herman Cain, Ron Paul and (probably) Rick Santorum were candidates who knew full well they'd never go any further than running for the nomination.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

When do the pre-election gubbins leading to the noms kick off??
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Little less than a year. I want to say the Iowa caucus will be in early/mid February next year.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Why is it named after a range of mountains?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Because Iowa is incredibly flat and enjoys confusing Europeans.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And why is Iowa so important? Why not the California cous-cous ??
The Swollen Goiter of God

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Adam54 wrote:In 2012, guys like Herman Cain, Ron Paul and (probably) Rick Santorum were candidates who knew full well they'd never go any further than running for the nomination.
Herman Cain came really close. The sexual harassment accusations are what ground his potential candidacy to a halt.

Isn't Ted Cruz in charge of NASA?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And those really annoying Business talks??
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Evolution denier Ted Cruz is currently in charge of NASA, yes. 'Murika.

As far as Iowa's importance....they literally have nothing else besides corn and the Field Of Dreams movie site, which is largely corn. The caucus is just America's way of throwing them a bone.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Oh and Goiter, Herman Cain was never that close. If the harassment stuff hadn't derailed him, something else would have in due time. He was nothing more than a flavor of the week.