X-Files revival(?)...

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Re: X-Files revival(?)...

Post by Space Tycoon »

It feels as though they are trying to pack as much as they can into each episode since they only have six of them. There were at least three separate threads that could have been explored on their own here; the "comedic/dramatic hallucinogen" episode; the "reaction to Islamic terrorism" episode; and the "ability to communicate with the dead" episode.

In the past the XF has been bold enough to consider terrorism as a by product of the corporate/government machine: either as a reaction to bad policy; or even bolder, directly caused or enabled by same, surreptitiously. The first movie practically recreated the Oklahoma City bombing as a government plot, only this time in Dallas. And why was there no mention or reference to that in this episode, which also took place in Texas?

Again, with more than 45 mintues to play with, more could be accomplished. Maybe if they get a full season that will happen.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

I've been watching, not caught up to this week's episode yet. First two were a bit awkward, third one with the lizard man was funny, maybe a bit too out there, and the Trashman episode was the best yet--classic creepy X-Files. I like having the characters back, but am glad it's not being stretched out for a full season. I expect the last episode (s) will return to the child in some way, that seems to be the theme running through the season.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

I'm torn about this:

On the one hand, I just like the look of the design, but on the other hand, it seems that Mulder would be more akin to Calvin and Scully to Hobbes. He is the adventurous one prone to imagine things that others don't see, and she is the skeptic who often gently mocks his ideas.

I'm not sure why the designer reversed their roles.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Sexism.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

What is it good for?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Oh, hang on, that's war isn't it?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Well, goddamn it.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Huh, absolutely nothing!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Oh, no, that's war again.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Goddamn, indeed.

Still a lot of unanswered questions. No way this is over. I still say that colonization plays a role somehow.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Well, this is happening:

That kid's gotta be nearing driving age.
Scotia
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Scotia »

I met Mitch Pileggi at a comic Con a couple of months ago. Really cool guy. Answered a lot of questions and took his time with every fan that was there. Very humble and down to earth.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Never met any of the cast in person, but Mitch Pileggi's A.D. Skinner was always one of my favorite characters on the show. He could really pull off the big-softy-acting-like-a-tough-guy routine.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I missed the new episode this week, as I was occupied with battling evil in another galaxy. Watching it tonight and I'll pitch my thoughts later. I have more reasonable expectations.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I'm just not sure what to say anymore. Is this not what I was asking for all these years? A revisiting of the mythology arc? Possibly updated to fit current realities? I guess that's what this is.

There's not too much to say other than that this "new", new X-Files makes little attempt to deviate from the formula hammered home year after year during the last few seasons of the original series. Plot twists that are predictable or baffling, or contradictory to (very!) established canon. Characters that behave exactly the way they did the last time we saw them, as if everyone were in stasis for the last ten years. Wouldn't it have been more interesting to see markedly different people than the ones we thought we knew? Time has a way of altering people, no?

That said, there are some interesting developments. The entry of SPOILER: a new(?) conspiracy focused on space colonization by the 1-per cent, (or 2 or 3 or whatever), exploiting alien technology is an intriguing twist and is the sort of thing I've wanted to see for some time. Especially considering the very technology they supposedly have had access to all these years.

I have no strong feelings either way at the moment and look forward to more standalone episodes, as well as a final, decisive end to the alien mytharc. Hopefully I have more to say later on.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I've been making my way slowly through Season 11, not because it's a chore but because my wife insists on watching it together, but she's too tired most evenings to devote a full hour to television, so we just have to catch an episode when we can... which ends up being very sporadic. Anyway, we only have the finale left now.

I have to say, for me, it's been the strongest season since Season 7. The myth arc has been tedious, at best, for a very long time, so I'm intentionally excluding it from my assessment. Thankfully, there were only two true myth arc episodes this season, which is probably already more than enough. Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to sitting through the finale, but I'll probably do it because - well, I'm not sure why. FOMO?

The monster-of-the-week episodes have been on point, though. Two AI episodes dealing with different aspects and fears related to the most recent advances in technology (digitized consciousness and increased automation), a nod to new urban legends à la Slenderman (dismissed by Mulder as lacking the pathos of the classical monsters), and the almost obligatory self-referential acknowldegment of the major pop-culture influences on the X-Files combined in this instance with an exploration of the Mandela effect.

The standalone episodes from Season 11 feel a lot more cohesive and coherent than those from the previous one. Each episode has a clear focus on one particular story/topic without trying to cram in too much. I'm only now starting to appreciate how far ahead of its time The X-Files actually was. The world has become far more alien and incomprehensible than it was in the 90s, which now feels like a simpler time. It's almost like the tension between mysticism and science embodied by Mulder and Scully is more relevant now than it was when the show got its start.

Edit: Oh, and somebody made a poster for the episode with one of the creepiest things from this season:

One day, I will sit down and watch all of this show. I've still only seen Season 1, a touch of the earlier episodes of Season 3, "The Post-Modern Prometheus," about ten minutes of "Triangle," and the two movies.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Apparently, Fox is coming out with several goodies for the show's 25th anniversary: https://ew.com/tv/2018/08/29/the-x-file ... dolls/amp/

The article leads with the Barbie dolls, but I'm more interested in the deck-building game mentioned farther down.