Somebody tell Goiter.....

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Somebody tell Goiter.....

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

I really don't think many people care all that much about anything Prince did after the eighties. The guy put out fifteen albums in the last fifteen years. I guess I admire his work ethic, but I haven't felt all that strongly about anything I've heard from those albums. (I would give every other one the old Internet try on YouTube or Amazon. Whatever didn't require me to dig around much or pay anything.) Most of what I've heard has been samey and overlong and indulgent in its Princeliness.

I liked a lot the eighties stuff. I liked the Batman soundtrack. I had a hand-me-down copy of Purple Rain on cassette tape. I liked about half of it, but I didn't listen to it much. I remember being annoyed that the Morris Day and the Time music wasn't on the album, since those were the songs I would gravitated toward when I would watch the movie as a kid.

The "SLAVE" thing annoyed me when it happened. It seemed disrespectful to real slaves--like he was coattailing on the suffering of others for the purpose of self-promotion. It seemed like a petulant child lashing out because he wasn't get his way.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

I only realised he was still alive when I found out he was dead.

Observe as Chris Rock laughs openly at Prince's homophobia:

This was from back in the nineties, when it was still deemed culturally OK to be openly homophobic. People are still openly homophobic, but it's now deemed less culturally OK. They even get called out for it on occasion. Progress!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Because Prince was always notoriously heterosexual??
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:I only realised he was still alive when I found out he was dead.
Yogi Berra, ladies and gentlemen!

This one's new to me:

People are sharing it as another one of those charming Prince stories about how he was endearingly kooky, but I only see it as more evidence of Prince's perpetual sense of entitlement. It's a decent complement to this pretty famous Prince story:

Prince was also a chemtrails conspiracy theorist:

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Adam54 wrote:
Dalty wrote:I only realised he was still alive when I found out he was dead.
Yogi Berra, ladies and gentlemen!
I am generally closer to Booboo.
Master Skywalker
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Master Skywalker »

I just remembered that Prince did the Batman soundtrack, which had some cool tracks. I still preferred Elfman's score, though.
On December 20, 2019, the Greatest Saga Ever... concludes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May the Force be with you

That Batman score is legendary. I think it's the best Elfman ever got, score-wise, though I've liked other scores of his. His Pee-wee's Big Adventure score is solid. So's his Dick Tracy score, but it's also pretty Batman-like, and I think it's outshone by the Sondheim, Paley, and Madonna/Leonard songs. The Nightmare Before Christmas is also really strong. The songs are great. (In this case, Elfman did both.)

The best thing about Elfman's Batman score for me, maybe, is that it gave Shirley Walker a good foundation for her Batman: The Animated Series music.

Adam54 wrote:Dark day in Minnesota. He's one of our few legitimate home-grown icons.
Paul Westerberg still walks among us. That's something.

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:Paul Westerberg still walks among us. That's something.
I started wondering if Paul Westerberg said anything about Prince's death, so I went looking. Turns out he did.

He showers Prince with praise at the beginning, so I thought maybe this would the first celebrity remembrance I encountered that didn't give me some new detail to add to the "Prince Sure Could Be a Dick" file. No luck:
He would be playing First Avenue when we would be playing the Seventh Street Entry, the little 100-capacity club that connected, and he was in the big room with 900 people. It was night and day. We had our little thing, but occasionally, when we were playing, and he would come in the room for three seconds, walk out and the entire room would empty, following him. I hope he did it on purpose. I think maybe he did. Hey, he was a star. There was no doubt about it.
The first time I met him was at a urinal at a nightclub in St. Paul. There he was, and I said, "Hey, what's up?" And he answered, "Life." One word: "life."
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Westerberg's fine, but he hasn't reached the legendary heights of Bob Dylan and the Coen Brothers. They're all we have left in Minnesota now, and the claim to Dylan has become tenuous at best.

How is the claim to Dylan tenuous? He was born in Minnesota, he went to grammar school in Minnesota, he went to high school in Minnesota, and he went to college in Minnesota. How much more "homegrown" can you get?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

He moved to New York what...50 years ago? And has barely been back? Prince at least stuck around.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

That said, I still claim Peter Krause as ours and I believe he moved away when he was two, so I smell what you're cooking there.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Adam54 wrote:He moved to New York what...50 years ago? And has barely been back? Prince at least stuck around.
I just did a Google to try to back this up and found an article making my exact point! Fancy that! http://www.dailyjournal.net/view/story/ ... esotas-Own
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Here's the backup I was after. Dylan basically disowned us when he left. Fuck that guy. http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-dyla ... l-reunion/

I don't think that excludes him from being "homegrown." He spent all his formative years in Minnesota. He was formed there, and he carried it with him.

James Joyce spent almost the exact length of time in Ireland. He was born there, educated there, and didn't leave there until after college. Ireland claims him as their own without any other country really claiming otherwise. Ireland was etched deep in Joyce's psyche. I'm willing to bet the same could be said for Dylan.

I was born in Alabama, but I moved to South Carolina a few months after birth. I was there until I was three. Then I moved to Germany. I was there until I was almost eight. I really only did Alabama from the age of eight to the age of twenty-three. I left after I got my MA in German. Despite this, I'd still say Alabama is the most deeply embedded of all the places of my youth.

I read the article. It looks more like Dylan disowned his hometown/the place he went to high school than anything. That's not quite the same thing. It reminds me a bit of Andy Warhol's wanting to get away from his "small town" as a youth (as related by Lou Reed and John Cale):

There was also Truman Capote, who moved to Monroeville, Alabama (the place Harper Lee turns into "Maycomb" in To Kill a Mockingbird) when he was four and was stuck there for four or five years. He also couldn't wait to get out. He actually did, though. He moved to New York City at the age of nine or so. I'd say he could make a better case for not being homegrown Alabamian.

Funnily enough, Warhol's "small town" was Pittsburgh. Also funnily enough, the place where Dylan went to high school is way bigger than the place I call my hometown. (This doesn't mean that they weren't the same size back in the late fifties, but I doubt it. Crossville, Alabama still hasn't broken the 2,000 mark, population-wise. It was probably just under 1,000 when I moved there in 1987. (I'm sure census.gov has all the information I'd ever want, but that site's shitty, and I refuse to spend more than two minutes looking for something that I shouldn't need more than thirty seconds to find.)
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Terry Nutkins died
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:Terry Nutkins died
...in September of 2012. http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-19520824

https://www.facebook.com/Culsire/videos ... =2&theater

The above link is to a video of Prince mostly being a dick. The video's creator appears to have called it "Prince's Shadiest/Divo Moments," but the Facebook uploader chose to call it "Prince Moments to Make You Smile." Prince is celebrated for these moments of dickishness in the comments on the video. It occurs to me that his dickishness is celebrated the way celebrity chefs' dickishness is celebrated. It's more evidence of people thinking it's OK for people in positions of power to behave in a way you wouldn't be OK with others behaving.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Hell yeah. I have a massive problem with my new joiner intake - and sometimes people a few levels up the management level from that, who have been raised on a diet of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, The Apprentice, Dragon's Den etc. etc. who generally think that not only is that behaviour acceptable, but that is how you get things done.

My inner bastard enjoys giving them a moment of clarity around the reality.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:I was born in Alabama, but I moved to South Carolina a few months after birth. I was there until I was three. Then I moved to Germany. I was there until I was almost eight. I really only did Alabama from the age of eight to the age of twenty-three. I left after I got my MA in German. Despite this, I'd still say Alabama is the most deeply embedded of all the places of my youth.
You've also (in spite of them giving you many many reasons) never denounced Alabama in the same way Dylan denounced his roots. Though I guess I've not found him trashing Minneapolis in the same way he trashed Hibbing, so there is that.
Master Skywalker

Post by Master Skywalker »

Adam54 wrote:
The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:I was born in Alabama, but I moved to South Carolina a few months after birth. I was there until I was three. Then I moved to Germany. I was there until I was almost eight. I really only did Alabama from the age of eight to the age of twenty-three. I left after I got my MA in German. Despite this, I'd still say Alabama is the most deeply embedded of all the places of my youth.
You've also (in spite of them giving you many many reasons) never denounced Alabama in the same way Dylan denounced his roots. Though I guess I've not found him trashing Minneapolis in the same way he trashed Hibbing, so there is that.
At least you guys have MST3K. You can always say you have that. ;)
On December 20, 2019, the Greatest Saga Ever... concludes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May the Force be with you