Shows we have 'cancelled' for ourselves

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Shows we have 'cancelled' for ourselves

Post by Dalty »

And I am not talking about Adam deploying his curse here! I mean shows we used to watch but then other shows came along and caused us to stop watching them due to time commitments / limited entertainment absorption ability.

Shows that have gone beyond Quasar's bubble.

First up for me - Blue Bloods. Love a bit of Selleck in a moustachioed glory, but it was just too twee and straightforward each week. Had to bin it off.

I am struggling to find a reason to stick with Hawaii-Five-Oh these days too, but it does have Grace Park.

Better Call Saul, the return of Thrones and now Daredevil probably puts this show at jeopardy on my planner. I still find Gotham kinda hard to love right now too, and Daredevil is showing that up even more after two episodes.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Re: Shows we have 'cancelled' for ourselves

Post by Mal Shot First »

I was excited for Community to come back, but it's a Yahoo! exclusive and the Yahoo! player doesn't adjust well for fluctuations in bandwidth or weakness of hardware. It basically forces you to watch its videos in HD, which is not the optimal choice on all of my devices. Therefore, I'm constantly struggling to motivate myself to watch the show.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Is it weak broadband or device based? One of the things I love about Sky TV is how it buffers its HD "On Demand" services so well to helpfully eliminate a lot of that. Netflix seems OK but quality is questionable for the first 30 secs to 2 mins of a show, but not sure that is HD, would have to check.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

It's actually more likely to be hardware. I watch The Walking Dead online, and my recently purchased desktop is perfectly capable on running it on the AMC player's HD setting. That player does seem to have an automatic adjustment of quality, but doesn't let the user define whether the quality should be automatically adjusted or whether the player should stick to one particular quality (480, 720, 1080). The PBS video player, for example, lets you do this.

We have an older PC in the living room that we use to watch online content and record TV content. On that computer, The Walking Dead doesn't manage to run smoothly even though the AMC should be adjusting manually for the computer's capabilities. Maybe the player only adjusts when it detects low bandwidth and doesn't adjust for hardware.

Whatever the case, I never had to look into the issue in more detail because my wife doesn't watch The Walking Dead and I can just watch it on the device that can actually play it without any problems. However, we both watch Community and would like to watch it together in our living room. There's the problem. Our bandwidth should be able to handle the stream, but it's probably the hardware that can't, which results in a very jerky image that really lags behind the audio.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Do you have Smart TV functions to stream straight to the big set? If the apps are even available! Can't recall seeing AMC or Yahoo on the Samsung App Store. :(
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

We actually recently also purchased a Samsung Smart TV, but I didn't find any apps for AMC or Yahoo. Yahoo Screen is still fairly new, I think, so it may not be available via app. I am a bit surprised that AMC hasn't put out something for its shows.

I just watched Game of Thrones on the HBO-Go app last night. A friend of ours came over and gave us his login info. I was perfectly willing to pay for standalone HBO-Go account, but in their infinite wisdom, the gurus at HBO headquarters decided that the standalone version will be released exclusively on Apple products for the first three months (basically, from the beginning to the end of Season 5 of GoT). If they really don't want my money, it's fine with me, too. :twisted:
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Dalty wrote:First up for me - Blue Bloods. Love a bit of Selleck in a moustachioed glory, but it was just too twee and straightforward each week. Had to bin it off.
That's the most British sentence I've read all week. Week's still young, of course.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Pretty much anything that was on CBS. I used to watch "CSI" and "Persons of Interest" and " Elementary," but once we moved and no longer had cable, we only watched things via Hulu. CBS isn't on Hulu, so no more CBS. Haven't really missed any of them.
neglet

Post by neglet »

Oh, and I left "Once upon a Time" without regret a couple years back when it totally jumped the shark by putting every single possible Disney character in it.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Mal Shot First wrote:I was excited for Community to come back, but it's a Yahoo! exclusive and the Yahoo! player doesn't adjust well for fluctuations in bandwidth or weakness of hardware. It basically forces you to watch its videos in HD, which is not the optimal choice on all of my devices. Therefore, I'm constantly struggling to motivate myself to watch the show.
There's also a Yahoo! Screen channel on Roku which is just abysmal. I'm still gonna keep trying to make time to watch it on my laptop, but I'm nearly with you on self-cancelling Community.

I gave up on Justified a few years ago. It was perfectly fine, I liked it quite a lot, just not as much as other stuff on at the time.

I have a bunch of shows and seasons I started and dropped. In some cases, I had no real reason to drop them. (In some cases, I had no real reason to start watching them in the first place.) I might eventually go back to some of them. I might not.

I watched the first two seasons of Dexter. Stopped. Not sure why. I was enjoying making fun of it. I'm four or five episodes into the last season of Breaking Bad. I was liking it, but watching it was exhausting, so I took an extended break.

Watched the first season of Mad Men right before the second season premiered. Watched the first episode of the second season. Haven't watched any since. In this case, it's because I had bought the first season from iTunes for a one-time-only reduced rate of something like ten bucks. I didn't want to keep paying for more, and I didn't feel like risking the torrent. (I usually only torrent the ancient shit nobody cares about. Saves a lot of worry that way. A year or so after I downloaded the first season of Mad Men from iTunes, I would torrent the workprint of the first Wolverine movie. I did this a month or two before it was released, and I would live in fear of getting sued for the next couple days. I guess I could save myself some worry with things like proxies and VPNs, but I'd rather not bother. That stuff's a hassle.)

Downloaded the first season or two of The Wire. Never watched any of it. Downloaded the first season or two of Game of Thrones. Never watched any of it. One of these days, I will watch at least the first season of both.

Watched the first episode of Dollhouse after finishing Angel and Buffy. Took four sittings. Barely made it through it. Don't really feel that strong an impulse to go back. Barely even remember anything that happened. Seemed kind of like a sci-fi cross between Alias and The Pretender (maybe? I'm really, really hazy on the details of the episode), and Alias is dumb. Also started The Pretender around this time. It was all right. Only watched the first five or so episodes.

I liked Deep Space Nine when I was a teen, but I never really got to watch all that much of it, and I saw it all out of order. Went back and watched the first season and half of the second. I stopped in the middle of an episode because I thought it would be of interest to Jubbers. I said maybe we should watch it together, and we planned to, but it never happened, so I stopped watching.

Rewatched the first couple arcs of Robotech and stopped, though I was enjoying it. Watched the first three seasons of Doogie Howser, M.D. and stopped, though I was enjoying it.

Watched the first season of X-Files and felt it was so-so. I was assured the third season was great, was told I could skip the second season, and was given a brief summary of what I missed. Watched the first three or four episodes of the third season and agreed that it was more engaging than the first, but I still didn't feel any strong desire to keep watching. Maybe I'll go back to it some day. I like the idea of it, and I liked the first movie.

Watched the first half of Orange Is the New Black. I liked it all right. I stopped so I could focus more fully on a story I was writing. I finished the story, but I never went back to finish the rest of the first season of Orange Is the New Black.

Watched the first two-and-a-half seasons of Dinosaurs. (Had watched a lot when I was younger, but not all. Wanted to revisit it and see what I missed. Similar situation to the DS9 situation.) Stopped because the dinosaurs were scaring Jubboiter. I was really only watching it to have something to do while staying with Jubboiter during the day. When I started, she still wasn't really a TV watcher, so I didn't feel bad having it on. Once she started paying attention to it and running from the room, I stopped. It's a mixed bag of a show. Sometimes it's pretty clever. Sometimes it's pretty annoying.

I say above that I didn't have a real reason to stop watching some of the ones I stopped watching. That might not be entirely true. In at least some of the cases, I stopped because we moved, and things were thrown out of order. I've moved at least once a year every year since 2006. We may have to move again in a few months. Moving blows. It throws everything off.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:I watched the first two seasons of Dexter. Stopped. Not sure why. I was enjoying making fun of it. I'm four or five episodes into the last season of Breaking Bad. I was liking it, but watching it was exhausting, so I took an extended break.
So you could say that you took a break...
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
...bad.

YYEEAAHH!

I wasn't 100% sure it was gonna be you, but I was still pretty sure it was gonna be you.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I might have to move Gotham out of the way to replace it with Daredevil. I kinda stalled half way through season 4 of The West Wing too.

Two more victims of the last move: Being Human (US) and Being Human (UK). I was watching them side-by-side, even though they'd ceased to link up.

Maybe I should create a "Which Series Should Goiter Go Back and Finished First?" thread.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Has anyone watched Orphan Black? That's one I've sort of pre-cancelled for myself. Heard great things, keep meaning to watch it, but have never made the time because there's too much other stuff to tackle.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

The Unbreakable Kim......erm...... thingamajig.

I hear good things.

Is that something you're planning to watch, Dalty, or is it something you've "cancelled" for yourself?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Something I may have cancelled before I started! Kinda like when Adam just thinks of a TV show.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Don't you dare cancel Kimmy Schmidt on me, Dimple!

Don't worry, Adam. They alive, damn it.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Me? Me cancel something? You are the Pol Pot of TV serial shows Adam, not me!
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Please. I'm not that bad. I mean really, who doesn't enjoy a new episode of Lone Star on Fox to this day?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Or the utter brilliance of Awake starring Jason Isaacs?

I wonder how many critics fell over themselves in the scramble to be the first to say Awake put them to sleep.