Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Re: Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Post by Mal Shot First »

Adam54 wrote:Agreed as well that Arya is going to *try* something, with try being the optimal word there. That was awfully intriguing. Do you think he suspected the girl was lying to him, or has she gotten so good at lying that the man couldn't tell the difference anymore?
No, I think he was able to tell the difference, but I think he wants to teach her another lesson and plans on catching her "red-handed," or something along those lines.
Adam54 wrote:Why does she hate Meryn Trant again? I couldn't remember.
He killed her sword master in Season 1 when Ned was about to be executed and the Lannisters were rounding up the Stark girls.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

That scene with Stannis' daughter was genuinely upsetting. Thinking Stannis' wife might now do something about the witch?

Is the dragon scene not in the books?

The white walkers can be killed by fire and dragon glass. This has been established. Somebody to the East has three airborne weapons platforms that create fire and is now getting adept at using them / getting them to work for her. Is dragon glass left over where they have melted something?

Also, tents bursting into flames at the start? Was that The Bastard and his chosen men that he asked for in the last episode?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Dalty wrote:Is the dragon scene not in the books?
Even if it is, I think it takes up a disproportionate amount of time in the episode.
Dalty wrote:Also, tents bursting into flames at the start? Was that The Bastard and his chosen men that he asked for in the last episode?
I would assume so.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I dunno, Ser Joran (or however you spell it) had to do his thing in the ring and the Harpies had to be a legitimate threat. It was only the last 15 minutes in total???
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

That's a quarter of the episode devoted to one scene that didn't progress the overall plot all that much and was predominantly based on spectacle. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, but we got two episodes in a row that were structured similarly, which sort of irks me. Consider me irked.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Do you prefer the all or nothing approach of, say, the Battle of Blackwater if they're going to stick in one place for an extended time, Mal? Devote the whole episode to a single place, devote a ~5 minute scene, or don't devote any time at all?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Mal Shot First wrote:That's a quarter of the episode devoted to one scene that didn't progress the overall plot all that much and was predominantly based on spectacle. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that, but we got two episodes in a row that were structured similarly, which sort of irks me. Consider me irked.
Except for it being season 5 and they kinda have to crystallise the white walker threat and get Dani well and truly into her dragon rider place. Mission accomplished on both fronts?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I guess it's not so much the fact that they're devoting the time to pure spectacle that bothers me. It has its place in this type of show, of course. Like I said earlier, though, I feel like this season has been crawling at a snail's pace, so I just want the plot to move forward in some significant way. The big action sequences we saw last night and last week don't do much to progress the plot and don't do much for character development either. They end up feeling a bit like fluff, placed there to fill up space.

If the goal was to show off the White Walkers and Dany's dragon riding, the scenes designed to do that could have been in proportion the the rest of the story lines.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I think the plot has moved on significantly. The White Walkers were something that happened seasons ago and had been quiet and not front and centre until last week. The Dragons were sidelined. This has all changed now.

And we know just what lengths Stannis will go to. Ayra remains Arya whatever they are trying to do to her in Bravos. Something is nicely brewing in Dorne. Cersei remains a pissed off threat. The Tyrells are in Bravos on the command of the Lannisters. Lord knows what Bran and the treefolk will do but he's there now.

It's all getting nicely set up I think. If anything it's demanding to keep up.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I agree with both of you, really. It's been a slower year, but I do think it's advancing the plot at the same time. This show probably has..what..2-3 seasons left? Every drama which runs for this long has a transitional season like this. Plus this is based on a series of what...800 page books? 900? And an author who's writing new material at a very glacial pace? They've got every right to slow it down at this point.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Erm........ yeah, well...... crikey!
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

My wife says she's not watching the show anymore after Jon Snow's death last night. :)

Of the deaths we saw in the season finale, it was certainly the one with the most impact (which is probably why they left it for the end). I could really feel my heart sinking into my stomach as they took turns stabbing him. :cry:

I think that at least part of it was the way they did it. It felt like they just took him out back and made short work of it. At least there was pomp and circumstance surrounding Ned's execution, but Jon's killing seemed almost banal by comparison - I think that's what stung the most (punintendo!).
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So........ much........ Death.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I hear that is the last scene of the most recent book too, so they are totally up to date.

Sansa and Theon, Stannis, Meryn, Jon, psycho girl at Winterfell, Mrs. Stannis. 7 named characters. Did I miss anyone?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Myrcella Lannister.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Ahhhh, yes!!!! Cersei is going to be even more pissed.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:I hear that is the last scene of the most recent book too, so they are totally up to date.

Sansa and Theon, Stannis, Meryn, Jon, psycho girl at Winterfell, Mrs. Stannis. 7 named characters. Did I miss anyone?
It's worth pointing out that we're in a land of resurrection and zombies and by my count we only actually saw the deaths of two, maybe three of these.

I've jumped off roofs into snowbanks before (it's Minnesota. Shaddup.) and lived to tell the tale. Wouldn't shock me at all if Sansa and Theon survived that jump and had broken legs to go with a fresh round of Ramsay torture waiting for them at the bottom.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So they reminded us of Valerian steel with a bit of exposition and pointed out that there are not enough Valerian blades to fight the Walkers.

Dany is back with the Dothraki (x 1 million), who respect strength and she is pretty damn strong with those dragons and the Unsullied.

They roam the lands North of what was Valeria. I wonder what their blades are made out of?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

As I mentioned, future Ex-Mrs Dalty is currently demolishing GoT on Sky On Demand. Five seasons in about six days if she finishes tonight.

Getting reacquainted and caught up again it makes me realise only Daenrys, Tyrion, Jaime, Bran and Arya are left who can really influence this outcome in any meaningful way?? Everyone else who looked like an influencing power is deader than Snyder's directorial career in the Skoglund household.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

I think Stansa Stark has potential to affect things, but I'm totally hooked at this point so it doesn't matter.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Isn't she dead? Threw herself off a castle rampart with Theon?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Into a huge pile of snow...
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Also, Jon Snow may not be dead yet.
neglet

Post by neglet »

Dalty wrote:Isn't she dead? Threw herself off a castle rampart with Theon?
What Mal said. Plus, she was part of a huge profile in EW about how the female characters were really going to have a big role this season.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Maybe Theon landed on his face.