Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Post by Dalty »

I thought we had one of these but a dig 5 pages back didn't show anything up. So took the liberty.....
Dalty

Re: Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Post by Dalty »

Can we make this about spoilers from the show? i.e. anything from the books that may spoil what is yet to happen in the TV show is off the agenda and shall remain unspoiled??
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So remind me. Jon Snow's sword. Where did it come from?? Did Ned give it to him? Is it Valerien steel? And if so, are all Valerien steel blades capable of doing what his did at Hardhome?
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Adam54 »

I feel like Ned gave it to him, but I'm not entirely sure.

Also: I think we're nearing the point at which the show is passing the books, so book spoilers will be a moot possibility soon enough. The entire ambush at Hardhome wasn't featured in the book, apparently. Benioff said that the book only mentions something terrible happening there.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Was Jon Snow present at this "something terrible" in the books?

I am thinking that if you want to defeat creatures of the cold, ice and snow then what you need is fire. If only somebody had some kind of flying weapon who could reign down fire over a wide area from on high?? Hmmmmmmmm.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Where oh where could they find such a creature??

I honestly don't know if Jon was at the unfortunate event in the book. That's a very good question.

My mom made the VERY interesting point that the lead White Walker looked an awful lot like an undead Tywin Lannister might look, didn't he?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

The king with the crowny head spikes? Who raised the dead from the pier?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Yep. I doubt it's zombie-him, but it's fun to think about.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Who the hell is Jon Snow's mother?

Oh, and I now know who the folks are that Bran is holidaying with. And why everyone else keeps on ignoring the ravens about the fucking weirdness at Castle Black.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Adam54 wrote:I feel like Ned gave it to him, but I'm not entirely sure.
The old Lord Commander (Mormont) gave it to him in Season 1 after Jon saved him from one of the undead creatures.

My guess is that Valyrian steel contains dragonglass/obsidian in some form or another, which is what gives it its hardness and makes it able to kill White Walkers.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Doesn't Jamie also have one? Or did he give his to Briene?

And I think the bigger question, Dalty, is who the hell is Jon Snow's father? I'm fully on board with the theories that whoever he is, he ain't Ned.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I'm not convinced it's not Ned. I don't think this is a spoiler from the books, but I'll put it in tags, just to be sure: SPOILER: In Book 1, they keep saying how Jon is the one of Ned's children who looks most like him and who embodies the spirit of the North the most. He and Arya are kindred spirits, while the other children take a lot after their mother. This might all be misdirection, of course, but I don't really see why Ned would have taken him in if he didn't believe that Jon was his son.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Adam54 wrote:My mom made the VERY interesting point that the lead White Walker looked an awful lot like an undead Tywin Lannister might look, didn't he?
You think the blue guy looks like the red guy?

I don't see it, to be honest.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

They should have supported Scottish separatism!
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Adam54 wrote:My mom made the VERY interesting point that the lead White Walker looked an awful lot like an undead Tywin Lannister might look, didn't he?
This statement is still not making any sense to me. What makes the vague resemblance between the two "VERY interesting"?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Oh, how about we forget I said it and focus in on the dragon savior of this week? That's much more interesting to me at this moment.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound sniffy. Like I said above, I highly doubt that's the Zombie Tywin, I just thought it was fun/interesting to think of the story possibilities of how that would've happened or where they'd take the plot if it were.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Oooooh, this episode had a "special warning" re: language, violence and scenes some viewers may find distressing. Usually means it is a good one!!
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Yeah, remember all the violence from last week? Imagine that, but with more blood and less zombies.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Adam54 wrote:Oh, how about we forget I said it and focus in on the dragon savior of this week? That's much more interesting to me at this moment.
The scene with the dragon was pretty exciting, but I don't know how I feel about the big action set pieces in the last couple of episodes. Let's be honest, they're hardly a staple of the show, so their incorporation at this point feels pretty unusual. It seems as if the producers are stalling for time because they know they're running out of material from the book and want to drag out having to make any substantial departures. The season is almost over and it feels like hardly anything really happened so far. They can't possibly pack all the resolutions into the finale, which makes me think that they're going to leave a bunch of questions unanswered in a cliffhanger and we'll have to wait until next spring for more.

As far as last night's episode goes, the part with Stannis was heartbreaking. That poor girl. :cry:

I'm suspicious of the seemingly clean resolution of the Dorne situation. I don't think Jaime is in the clear just yet.

I bet Arya is going to try to smuggle herself into the brothel as a potential girl for Meryn Trant in order to attempt to kill him. She might not even get that far, though, because Jaqen H'ghar might be suspecting that something's up and will stop her because it's not yet time for a girl to do it (or something like that).

There was a noticeable absence of Cersei and the Sparrows in this episode. There's been a noticeable absence of Bran all season. I wonder if we're going to get to any of that in the finale.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Also, as this is the spoiler thread and Dalty should know better than to check back in here:

I'm confused by the Sons of the Harpy. I gather that they're some sort of religious order equivalent to the Sparrows, but their religion is just....they want slaves back? Is there some sort of High Harpy I've missed thus far?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Oh, I thought they were just a group of former masters who want to return to the old ways. It's less of a religious group and more of an underground resistance movement, as far as I could tell. What confused me in last night's episode was that it seemed like they were pretty indiscriminate in their killing and even went for the masters. :?:
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Mal Shot First wrote:
Adam54 wrote:Oh, how about we forget I said it and focus in on the dragon savior of this week? That's much more interesting to me at this moment.
The scene with the dragon was pretty exciting, but I don't know how I feel about the big action set pieces in the last couple of episodes. Let's be honest, they're hardly a staple of the show, so their incorporation at this point feels pretty unusual. It seems as if the producers are stalling for time because they know they're running out of material from the book and want to drag out having to make any substantial departures. The season is almost over and it feels like hardly anything really happened so far. They can't possibly pack all the resolutions into the finale, which makes me think that they're going to leave a bunch of questions unanswered in a cliffhanger and we'll have to wait until next spring for more.

As far as last night's episode goes, the part with Stannis was heartbreaking. That poor girl. :cry:

I'm suspicious of the seemingly clean resolution of the Dorne situation. I don't think Jaime is in the clear just yet.

I bet Arya is going to try to smuggle herself into the brothel as a potential girl for Meryn Trant in order to attempt to kill him. She might not even get that far, though, because Jaqen H'ghar might be suspecting that something's up and will stop her because it's not yet time for a girl to do it (or something like that).

There was a noticeable absence of Cersei and the Sparrows in this episode. There's been a noticeable absence of Bran all season. I wonder if we're going to get to any of that in the finale.
I was much more okay with the white walker attack scene than I was the dragon saving the day, to be honest. I usually read Alan Sepinwall's review each week and he quite correctly pointed out how utterly convenient it was that Drogon would swoop in just in the nick of time to save Dany, much as it was off-putting last week to have the White Walkers (who have always walked very, very slowly) be some sort of incredibly fast, coordinated killing machine.

I'm with you on all the rest. Dorne can't be over that easily, the Stannis scene was just BRUTAL to watch. That poor, poor little girl. Agreed as well that Arya is going to *try* something, with try being the optimal word there. That was awfully intriguing. Do you think he suspected the girl was lying to him, or has she gotten so good at lying that the man couldn't tell the difference anymore?

Why does she hate Meryn Trant again? I couldn't remember.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Mal Shot First wrote:Oh, I thought they were just a group of former masters who want to return to the old ways. It's less of a religious group and more of an underground resistance movement, as far as I could tell. What confused me in last night's episode was that it seemed like they were pretty indiscriminate in their killing and even went for the masters. :?:
Right! That was weird too. Maybe they've evolved into some sort of cult? How many former masters can there possibly be?

And where were all the Unsullied while that was going on? I thought she had thousands of 'em?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

From the Game of Thrones Wiki:
The Sons of the Harpy are an underground insurgency group fighting the rule of Daenerys Targaryen over Meereen. They take their name from the harpy, the traditional heraldic symbol of the slave-masters in the Ghiscari cities of Slaver's Bay, and the Ghiscari Empire before them. They conceal their identities wearing masks that look like harpies.