Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Re: Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Post by Mal Shot First »

No, he was one lucky bastard.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

You wanted me to write that, didn't you?
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

I was serious!
Scotia
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Scotia »

The Lanister host must be rather thin now. Tyrells will be holding nothing back. They've simply nothing left for them to lose at Kings Landing. I will assume that the Frey's are in complete disarray and will be infighting for the space left vacant by Walder.
The Boltons have been destroyed. The army decimated. A House no more.
All Lanister allies.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Tyrells are ex-allies now aren't they? They are allied with Dorne and, I suspect, Dany. I think they will land in Dorne.

What about the Iron Bank? Don't the Lannisters owe them a fortune too?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Well this has been a hell of a start to the season. They did say that Euron was going to make Ramsay Bolton look like a nice young man in comparison.

So that's the Tyrell army and the Iron Fleet gone? Looks like Dany won't get it all her own way.

Poor Ayra seems doomed to keep missing Jon too.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Still, dragons. But yes, a good way to balance things a bit.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

They went to great pains to show us the dragon killing weapons. 2 out of 3 of those dragons are going down in the coming battle of Kings Landing.

Evens that Jamie will end up killing his sister / lover. He has form.

My prediction is they are going to get knackered / depleted fighting "The Great War", lose their super-weapons i.e. dragons etc. and only then realise how much deep poop they are in because of the White Walkers. As this is GoT and nothing nice happens to nice people and nobody wins for long, the last shot of the entire show will be the Night King sitting on the Iron Throne as snow falls in Kings Landing.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Help - I am confused.

I thought the whole "Bran Flashback" thing showed Jon Snow's birth to a Targeryan mother - wife of King Targeryan. Making Jon Dany's half brother and young Ned was the father?

However a companion show on Sky says I am wrong. Dany's older brother Raegar is actually Snow's father so Dany is his Auntie??

So who was his mother???? And why did Ned take him in??
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

The flashback showed Lyanna Stark on her deathbed as young Ned reached her in the Tower of Joy.

She was bethrothed to Robert Baratheon, but following a tournament, Rhaegar (Dany's oldest brother and the heir to the throne), who was himself a married man (his wife was Elia Martell, the Red Viper's sister), abducted her. Most of this history is told indirectly in the books by potentially unreliable sources, so they cast some doubt about it being an actual abduction and raise the possibility that Lyanna was actually complicit in the affair.

In any case, Robert certainly saw it as an abduction, so this was the event that started Robert's Rebellion. Lyanna was the Helen of Troy of Westeros, if you will.

The theory that fans pieced together from various snippets in the books is that Ned found Lyanna in the Tower of Joy toward the end of the rebellion as she was dying from complications of childbirth. In order to preserve her honor, he decided to hide the fact that she gave birth to a son out of wedlock. Instead, he took in Jon as his bastard son and thus put a blemish on his own honor and caused a lifelong strain on his relationship with Cat.

The show seems to have canonized this version of events that isn't fully confirmed yet in the book universe, as far as I know. Since the show confirmed Rhaegar as Jon's father, that makes him Dany's nephew.

You can read more about Lyanna as portrayed in the show on the GoT wiki:
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Lyanna_Stark

Edit: After reading the wiki entry, I realized I had forgotten that Lyanna's abduction wasn't the direct cause of the rebellion, but it was one of the first steps. The real catalyst was the execution of Lyanna's and Ned's brother and father after they demanded that the Mad King arrest Rhaegar.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

By the way, we covered this ground on page 6 of this thread. Yes, that's one page back, Dalty. :)
Mal Shot First wrote: June 28th, 2016, 9:09 pm Lyanna eloped with Rhaegar (or was kidnapped by him, depending on whether you ask Robert and Ned). It was strongly implied that the child was Rhaegar's, and the cut transition from the child's face to Jon's in the last episode implied that he is the child.

It's one of the more popular fan theories that seems to be confirmed now by the show. Google "R+L=J."
Dalty wrote: June 29th, 2016, 5:00 am So that makes him Dany's half brother and strong contender for the iron throne above Dany's.... however that line passed to the Baratheon's after the rebellion, which after a quite frankly terrible track record of child protection in House Baratheon leaves Cersei in the hot seat. His claim is no greater than Dany's. Which is to say based on being a bit pissed off that Rob's rebellion was successful.
Mal Shot First wrote: June 29th, 2016, 5:15 am Rhaegar was the son of the Mad King, which makes him Dany's older brother (an adult when Dany and Viserys were still children). He was killed by Robert at the Battle of the Trident during Robert's Rebellion.

That would make Jon Dany's nephew, as Negs already said. Both of their claims to the Iron Throne would stem from the perspective that Robert was a usurper who took down a dynasty that ruled Westeros for 300 years. In Dany's mind, at least, her claim to the throne is stronger than that of Cersei's children, since none of them is actually Robert's offspring.

Robert himself was Rhaegar's second cousin, so excluding Viserys and Dany, Robert was next in line for the Iron Throne via grandmother Rhaelle Targaryen (which is why he was trying to have the Targaryen children killed throughout his reign, since their claims were stronger than his).
Mal Shot First wrote: June 29th, 2016, 8:53 am Here's a Targaryen family tree, if it helps:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rh ... n#Siblings

Aerys II is the Mad King; Rhaelle was one of his aunts and the grandmother of Robert Baratheon.

Notice that Lyanna and Jon aren't part of this family tree because it follows the book canon, where it wasn't confirmed (as far as I remember) that Lyanna had a child. It was alluded to, but never stated outright.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So I have basically programmed myself, based on my earlier incorrect assumption, to blot out all memory of any attempts to correct my thinking.

See you in another 6 months when I ask this question all over again.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Just started watching A Queen's Justice, today's episode.

Dany continues to surprise. I thought it was a given she is becoming more unlikeable as she really kicks her conquest into gear, despite her being the "good guy" for so long. However she seemed to move back a bit. Then again, the episode is only 13mins old right now!
neglet

Post by neglet »

Dalty wrote: July 31st, 2017, 11:57 am Just started watching A Queen's Justice, today's episode.

Dany continues to surprise. I thought it was a given she is becoming more unlikeable as she really kicks her conquest into gear, despite her being the "good guy" for so long. However she seemed to move back a bit. Then again, the episode is only 13mins old right now!
This is how you know it's a fantasy.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Well, that episode went from talky, walky, plotty to bang, smash, boom very quickly. I like it!

Jaime, dead?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Pshaw. When this show wants to kill off a character, that character is gone for sure. None of that ambiguity like we saw with Jaime or the Hound before him. He'll be back.

Although, that golden hand's got to be pretty heavy, not to mention the armor...

That shot where the flame misses Jaime by a few yards and incinerates his soldiers behind him, leaving only ashes blowing in the wind, was very anime-esque. I liked it.

Did you manage to see who knocked him out of the way of the fire stream at the end? Looked like Dickon to me, but I couldn't tell for sure.

One of my favorite parts of the episode: The unfazable Littlefinger was visibly fazed by Bran's raven-fu.

I have to say, it's been a while since an hour of television had my heart racing like that. I've really enjoyed the season so far, but that episode stood out above the others.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It was Bronn, I am sure of it. Although his sinking into the lake in the final shot was an exact recreation of Bran's falling from the tower shot in season 1. Which is what makes me think it could actually be his death shot.

That battle showed why this season and the last is going to be tough. It's GoT so, of course, many have to die. All characters involved had massive moments of peril and I didn't want any of them to die, therefore I was completely riveted, concerned etc. This show has earned that.

Dany is quite clearly slipping a little to whatever constitutes the Dark Side in GoT.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Dalty wrote: August 8th, 2017, 3:16 pm Although his sinking into the lake in the final shot was an exact recreation of Bran's falling from the tower shot in season 1. Which is what makes me think it could actually be his death shot.
It was actually kind of the opposite of the shot of Bran falling. For Bran's fall, the camera is positioned at the bottom and aimed up so that the character falls toward the viewer. The shot of Jaime's fall is set up so that the camera is at the top and the character is moving away from the viewer.

But even if it they were parallel shots, why would that indicate that Jaime is dead? If the parallel structure is meant to convey similarity, wouldn't it be more appropriate if it turned out that Jaime was alive (like it turned out that Bran was alive)?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Thats weird, I distinctly remember a face visible shot of him falling in slow mo. Did that happen in some flashback or while Warging etc?
neglet

Post by neglet »

I couldn't tell who rescued Jaime, although the preponderance of opinion seems to be Bronn. I don't think Jaime is done, I think he has a role in bringing about Cersei's downfall.

And I don't see Danaerys as going to the dark side--she attacked an army with her army, and took away their supply advantage. She used the dragon to break up the enemy lines, and then on the supplies, which is very different than attacking civilians, as Jon pointed out, or even against all of the Westeros army. It continues to make it difficult to pick a side, and I'm enjoying this season immensely.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Constantly repeating on a loop how she was born to rule the islands. Insistence on bending of the knee, no compromise. I think she is at the top of the slope.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I was really pleased they didn't drag out the Jaime thing. I was wrong, and glad they made it first sequence of the new episode - no messing. Indicative of the pace of these last two seasons. Fat free!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Hmmmmmmmmm...... well this has taken a couple of turns I didn't expect.
neglet

Post by neglet »

I'm not sure what they're up to with the revelations about Jon's parents. Bran hasn't seen fit to tell anyone about his true parentage. Sam didn't notice the importance of the information Gilly found about him being legitimate. So if it's something only the audience knows, how will it effect anything?

I'm hoping that Maester Broadbent finds the text and acts on it, because then it could actually have an effect--and we will get more Jim Broadbemt. I will be very sad if Sam's leaving the Maesters means no more Broadbent.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Bran is kinda annoying. Sees all, knows all, decides to talk in riddles. Has keys to so many things but his only useful activity was to see the Walkers moving East.