Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

This show sounds like a comic book show.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

Plus, in the books, his real name was never known. Old Nan tells Bran and Rickon at one point that she thinks he was named Walder and that Hodor was just his bastardized version of his own name. There was never any mention of the name Wylis.

This leads me to believe that the "hold the door" explanation was specifically invented for the show. They didn't name him Walder on the show because they didn't want there to be any possible doubt as to the origin of the Hodor name.

I still think that leaving his name as Walder would have been a nice bit of misdirection, though.
The Swollen Goiter of God

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Mal Shot First wrote:They didn't name him Walder on the show because they didn't want there to be any possible doubt as to the origin of the Hodor name.
Sounds like the name they gave him on the show was just meant to be a placehodor.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

One of the Frey's got there first.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

I interpreted it as Hodor's brain was blown by the paradox.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Finally getting round to this weeks episode!
neglet

Post by neglet »

My son's at officer training, so no electronics for him. I wrote a letter telling him the big spoiler for Episode 6 is that no named characters die. Shocking!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It's really, really gathering pace now. Conclusion feels on the horizon.

Have you seen the episode titles for the rest of the season???
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Hound lives! Al Swearengen doesn't! Arya is...iffy? In a pickle, to be sure.

This show has done nothing but strengthen my resolve to never, ever be stabbed.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Yay! The Hound! Watching it now......
neglet

Post by neglet »

Adam54 wrote:The Hound lives! Al Swearengen doesn't! Arya is...iffy? In a pickle, to be sure.

This show has done nothing but strengthen my resolve to never, ever be stabbed.
The theory I've seen is that the dude with no name still owes Arya a death, so he was somehow masquerading as her. I'm not sure how he can imitate the tiny girl-body, but it's a fun theory. I think it was actually her ... and I think she ends up with the troupe, because we need more Richard E Grant.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And that girl who hired the Faceless men with the lovely, lovely body. We need more of her.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It's time.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I haven't watched yet, but everything I've heard leaves me to believe this episode is a disappointment.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Pretty good so far! It's typically antepenultimate in that it concerns itself with moving yet more pieces around the board for what's coming but it has some nice moments and some good old fashioned violence.
neglet

Post by neglet »

Ah, but worth it for Arya kicking ass. Plus I love the interaction between Brianne and Jamie.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Brienne and Jaime were the best part of the episode, in my opinion (okay, Clegane was pretty awesome, too). I like how over the course of the series, Jaime develops from a hothead to a more strategic thinker. A lot of that stems from the loss of his fighting hand, of course, since he has to reconsider who he is if he is not a knight, and he can't be a knight if he can't fight. The solution he finally comes up with to both avoid bloodshed and take the castle is like something that we're used to from Tyrion, but it's a new level of strategic thinking for Jaime.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

The bit with Brienne and Jamie in the tent was great. I was genuinely worried they would end up having to cross swords.

Is it true that next week is 90mins long and contains the largest battle scene ever filmed for a TV show?
Scotia
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Scotia »

Does Jamie love Brienne? I think so. An odd couple for sure but I it's there under the surface, under his false words for Cersie.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I think it's important to distinguish between the two types of love. I always have the feeling that his love for Brienne is more of a form of respect. He respects the purity of her ideals and the unbending will to stick to her convictions. That takes some real balls, especially in the line of work they're in. He sees something in her that he has never been able to be, and that is what he loves about her - the ideals of chivalry she embodies - but I don't think it's a kind of romantic love or physical attraction.

With Cersei, it's less obvious to see why he loves her. Part of it is that they are twins and share the bond of entering the world at the same time and spending most of their lives together. The decision that defines his life was made so he could be with Cersei (she's the reason he joined the Kingsguard - so Tywin couldn't make him stay at Casterly Rock and he could be around Cersei all the time, even if it meant forsaking the right to his father's name and inheritance). I admit, it's difficult to see this as love sometimes, but he is bound to her the way a married couple is bound to each other. After years of marriage, the passion of the early days may be gone (though we see plenty of passion every now and then), but there is a deeper love and understanding forged by years of togetherness.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It was good enough for the Skywalkers!!!
Scotia

Post by Scotia »

Mal Shot First wrote:I think it's important to distinguish between the two types of love. I always have the feeling that his love for Brienne is more of a form of respect. He respects the purity of her ideals and the unbending will to stick to her convictions. That takes some real balls, especially in the line of work they're in. He sees something in her that he has never been able to be, and that is what he loves about her - the ideals of chivalry she embodies - but I don't think it's a kind of romantic love or physical attraction.

With Cersei, it's less obvious to see why he loves her. Part of it is that they are twins and share the bond of entering the world at the same time and spending most of their lives together. The decision that defines his life was made so he could be with Cersei (she's the reason he joined the Kingsguard - so Tywin couldn't make him stay at Casterly Rock and he could be around Cersei all the time, even if it meant forsaking the right to his father's name and inheritance). I admit, it's difficult to see this as love sometimes, but he is bound to her the way a married couple is bound to each other. After years of marriage, the passion of the early days may be gone (though we see plenty of passion every now and then), but there is a deeper love and understanding forged by years of togetherness.
Yeah, I agree completely. Jamie will never lust for Brienne the way he does for Cersei. He respects and admires her convictions too much. Sexually he must be messed up after so many years of banging his sister and her birthing his children. Has to be messed up. I don't ever remember him sleeping with anyone else? Maybe little Jamie can only rise to the occasion for Cersei.

Anyway I am impressed with the way the show has transformed Jamie's character from hated villain to unlikely hero. Maybe even the saviour of Westeros if some theories prove true.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Jon Snow and Dany team up required to defeat white walkers. Got to be.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I just finished watching this week's episode and that may well have been the best they've ever done. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

The editing and direction in that battle scene were eleventy different kinds of remarkable.

Very, very , very little wrong with this episode. Jon disregarding Sansa's advice was a major bit of stupid, but its really not that unbievable for a man on this show to ignore what a woman has to say, so I'm fine with it.

Great episode. Goosebumps.
Last edited by Adam54 on June 20th, 2016, 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

And those DRAGONS!