Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: Game Of Thrones: Spoiler Thread

Post by Dalty »

BUMP!!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Future Ex-Mrs Dalty is adorably on the very edge of her seat.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Nice to see the Sand Snakes living up to their billing.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

The Shining moment at the end though.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

I can finally participate in this thread!

I have nothing to say about the episode, but I wanted you all to know I could if I wanted to.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Oh shit, it's Negs!!! Everyone watch your grammar and punctuation!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

;)
neglet

Post by neglet »

Watching that Grammar at the end of the last episode, I'd say the appropriate punctuation would be the semi-colon.
;;
It's what happens when you get that old and never wear a brassiere.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Thanks to the overwhelming number of supposedly non-spoiler Facebook wall posts wherein people either posted a sad-faced emoticon or uploaded images of the character who goes by/is named "Hodor" and says "Hodor" a lot (or maybe only ever says "Hodor"), I'm going to guess that the character died and that it had something to do with holding the door.

I've been told I look vaguely like the actor. Because he's fat and tall and has a beard, I guess. That's really all it takes.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Hodor!

I know nothing about the circumstances leading up to the most recent episode, but when I consider the character's name/limited vocabulary alongside "hold the door," it suggests to me that "Hodor" is a smashing together of "hold" and "door." (I don't even know *how* the character says the name. In my mind, he is a bit slow and shouts it the way Sloth shouts "Baby . . . RUTH!" in The Goonies. ["Ho . . . DOR!"]) If that is the case, I don't know if it's supposed to be an Easter egg or if the character's naming and/or utterance of "Hodor" is meant to be prophetic. Has his life been leading up to this moment? Has his holding the door been his prime purpose in life?

I also don't know if this has sparked a conversation among fans as to whether or not Martin always intended Hodor to "hold (the) door." I'm guessing some say Martin must have come up with the name first and then had the idea later to work it into the story, and others say he planned it all along. The only reason I'm guessing this, probably, is that I am a longtime Star Wars fan and have seen the same thing happen with Lucas.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It was a very moving scene. And it played into a nice circular story function that actually makes me interested in Bran Stark's story.... which really took some fucking doing, let me tell you!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So does anyone else get the feeling this thing is really starting to travel to a conclusion now?

Before every time it grew to a place that it felt like the pieces were moving into place something happened to set everyone back. But now.....?

Hodor may have held the door, but the flood gates are open!

(All right. I really should leave this thread. Otherwise, I'll start seeing stuff I probably won't want to see.)
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

You have read the books right?

No. I'm a total GoT/ASoIaF virgin--outside of the spoilers Facebook friends keep stuffing down my throat, I mean.

Here's the sum of my GoT/ASoIaF knowledge:

I know there's a lot of blood at something called the Red Wedding and that some pregnant lady gets stabbed in the baby during it, I know the same thing happens to Sean Bean's character that usually happens to Sean Bean's characters, I know that there are dragons and that the woman who most recently played Sarah Connor has some kind of control over them, I know there's nudity, I know there's incest, I know the Momoa character kills some dude by pouring molten silver or gold on him, I know that the blond kid from Batman Begins plays a character named Joffrey that everybody loves to hate and that he's poisoned early in the fourth season, I know Hodor says his name a lot and is probably killed holding some kind of door, and I know Dinklage's character (Tyrion?) is holding a wine goblet in at least half of the images I've seen of him, so I'm guessing he drinks a lot. I think the Dinklage character may be missing part of his nose in the books. I'm not sure if this is because he's syphilitic or because somebody cut it off.

I also know that everybody was questioning whether or not Jon Snow really died at the end of a recent episode, which obviously means he didn't. Anytime a bunch of people ask, "DID HE RILLY DIED, GAIZ??!" it means either that he didn't die or that he was resurrected. (I guess the second possibility would depend on whether or not resurrection was a thing on the show. Since resurrection is pretty common in fantasy, I'm going to guess that it is a thing.) A bunch of fans of the TV version of Walking Dead were asking the same question about SPOILER: Glenn, recently. I'm about two seasons behind at this point, but it's pretty clear to me that this means the character didn't die--at least at that instant, where the showrunners were purposefully vague. People spoil the shit out of that show, too, so I also know that Regan (likely) kills somebody at the end of this most recent season and that viewers will probably find out which character was killed once the new season starts. I'm trying to think of counter examples where showrunners gave viewers reasonable doubt where the death of a major character was concerned only to reveal that the character was, in fact, dead, but nothing's coming to mind at the moment. General rule of thumb: if it looks like maybe there's a slim chance the character didn't die, it means the character didn't die.
neglet

Post by neglet »

I know that there are dragons and that the woman who most recently played Sarah Connor has some kind of control over them
I thought you were messed up at first, because a former Sarah Connor from the TV show plays a different character on GoT, then I remembered there was a recent film I didn't care about.

I was going to wait to watch this episode until my son got back from vacation tomorrow, but once someone dropped the Hodor spoiler I couldn't wait. You wait and spoilers fester.

I'm thinking of you, fucking Kim C., and your, "Luke is related to Darth Vader--and he's not his uncle!" I was too young to drive and had to wait a week between spoiler and viewing, and I'm still pissed about it. In case you couldn't tell.
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

neglet wrote:I thought you were messed up at first, because a former Sarah Connor from the TV show plays a different character on GoT, then I remembered there was a recent film I didn't care about.
Your first impression was on the money. I am, in fact, messed up.

I made the "most recently" distinction because I was pretty sure Lena Headey was also in Game of Thrones. (I don't know which character she plays. If what little I know of her career is any indication, she plays some sort of matriarch.) I know her from 300, and I know she played the lead in The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I've never actually seen an episode of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I know some people really liked it. I haven't had much of an interest in the Terminator as an IP since T2, though, so I sat it out.

I've mostly only watched the post-T2 movies because I go to the movies habitually and don't necessarily care what I watch when I go. I also figured that each new one would be the last one and that I might as well watch it, but I guess there are enough people out there invested in the Terminatorverse to keep the carousel spinning.

The show seemed like too much of a commitment for a property I only had a passing interest in. Still, I may watch it some day. I don't think it lasted all that long. There's not much to watch.

Have Lena Headey and Glenne Headly ever worked together? They should double-bill in something. (If Jakester were here, he'd probably have a suggestion or two.)

I wrote "the woman who most recently played Sarah Connor," but I think I prefer the way "the woman who played Sarah Connor most recently" reads.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:I know nothing about the circumstances leading up to the most recent episode, but when I consider the character's name/limited vocabulary alongside "hold the door," it suggests to me that "Hodor" is a smashing together of "hold" and "door." (I don't even know *how* the character says the name. In my mind, he is a bit slow and shouts it the way Sloth shouts "Baby . . . RUTH!" in The Goonies. ["Ho . . . DOR!"]) If that is the case, I don't know if it's supposed to be an Easter egg or if the character's naming and/or utterance of "Hodor" is meant to be prophetic. Has his life been leading up to this moment? Has his holding the door been his prime purpose in life?

I also don't know if this has sparked a conversation among fans as to whether or not Martin always intended Hodor to "hold (the) door." I'm guessing some say Martin must have come up with the name first and then had the idea later to work it into the story, and others say he planned it all along. The only reason I'm guessing this, probably, is that I am a longtime Star Wars fan and have seen the same thing happen with Lucas.
After having just watched the episode as well as the "Inside the Episode" interview with Weiss and Benioff on HBO Go, I can confirm that the answer to at least one of your questions and/or general speculations is apparently "yes."

Aside: Has anyone else ever read 25th Hour? I need to revisit that book.

Which speculation does the "yes" apply to? I figure it's fine to spoil myself on this, since the cat's pretty far out of the bag.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote: I also don't know if this has sparked a conversation among fans as to whether or not Martin always intended Hodor to "hold (the) door." I'm guessing some say Martin must have come up with the name first and then had the idea later to work it into the story, and others say he planned it all along. The only reason I'm guessing this, probably, is that I am a longtime Star Wars fan and have seen the same thing happen with Lucas.
This part. Supposedly he always intended Hodor to "hold the door."
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I heard the plot sketching sessions between the producers and Martin were very, very detailed and he also shared his outline treatments and a lot of other documents. I think the big guy has a plan.

Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

If Martin had planned the Hodor/hold the door thing from the start, he did a piss-poor job with it. Wasn't the sole reason that Bran could warg into Hodor the fact that he was supposedly dim-witted? Bran can generally occupy animals, and the only human he's occupied is Hodor, so I assumed that was the reason.

If that's true, though, it creates a time paradox. Hodor needed to be simple-minded for Bran to control him. By warging into Hodor while travelling to the past, Bran causes Hodor to become dim-witted, which then allows him to warg into him in the future. Basically, the prerequisite for Bran's ability to control Hodor wouldn't be possible if he didn't already have the ability to control Hodor.

Like I said, if Martin had planned this for years, he didn't plan it all that we'll.