Guns and guns and guns and guns!

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: Guns and guns and guns and guns!

Post by Dalty »

Adam54 wrote:Well yeah, but A has nothing whatsoever to do with B no matter how badly they want it to. Plus just shouting "RADICAL ISLAM!" isn't really any constructive form of argument. What purpose did it serve? Were they all supposed to go "Well. He's got a great point. Pack it up, everybody!" and let that be that?
Home of the brave, land of the strong, scared of a shadow.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Adam54 wrote:Fair enough.

In this case it was Tea Party extremist Louie Gohmert of Texas.

Isn't he dreamy?
How does he feel about Brexit?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Who cares!

Adam54 might. He created a whole thread for Brexit talk. I'd have kept the Brexit talk confined to the the Brexit thread, but Adam54 didn't keep the wrestling talk confined to the wrestling thread, so I figured it would be OK.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Adam don't follow no rules!
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Adam54 »

I do now! Angry Negs is Scary Negs!
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:

Isn't he dreamy?
I'm more curious as to how he feels about Scott Walker.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Did he feel him good?
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by omicron »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:

Isn't he dreamy?
Considering he's so bag-of-rocks stupid, I doubt he even knows what it is. I would bet 5 bucks that if you handed this goober a globe and asked him to point out the UK he'd sit there for a minute with drool running out the corner of his mouth before shouting "USA USA USA!" and leaving the room.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Goober? I thought he was a Representative?

Did somebody mention Scott Walker?

Mal Shot First wrote:Goober? I thought he was a Representative?
Call him goobernatorial.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I'm glad someone got the joke.

I had to set the tone before Dalty busted in with "Goober? I don't even *know* 'er!"
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:Did somebody mention Scott Walker?

THAT bait you take every time. But every time I shine the Fake Strider signal up towards the sky? Nothing.

Some bait just tastes better.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

There is some awful, awful, awful stuff happening in Dallas tonight. Largely in response to other awful stuff happening elsewhere in the country, including here in the Twin Cities.

God, what times we're in.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Somebody tell the Helter Skelter boys they got their race war.

Only two of them are left to tell. John and George are gone.

I'm in Alabama until tomorrow. My mother's friend came to visit. My stepfather started talking about the recent cop murders without giving it its proper context. He said nothing of the cop executions posted to the web this week. She hadn't even heard about them.

My stepfather said he was going to start stocking up on ammunition. My mother's friend said she thought the government was probably orchestrating things like the cop murders so it could take away people's guns. I started countering their bullshit with my own brand of levelheadedness, and they decided to switch topics and ignore me.

Before that, they were trying to talk over me. I assume they were hoping I'd stop talking if they got loud enough and kept interrupting. It's not a bad tactic when talking to someone like me. It's very easy for me to lose my place when I'm speaking if I'm interrupted. Whatever the case, it didn't work on me this time. I just kept going. They didn't exactly put their fingers in their ears and start going "LALALALA!" It was pretty close to that, though. My stepfather pulled out a camping supply magazine, and he started to show her things he was hoping to buy. While I was still talking.

I was being, again, fairly levelheaded. I never once said they were wrong or right about anything. I mentioned that the left had one take on guns and that the right had another, and I said that both were going to try to spin the current situation to suit their agendas.

My stepfather tried to pull out falsely-attributed-to-Jefferson quote about the importance of an armed populace being to take up arms against its own government if said government becomes tyrannical. (He said he was pretty sure it was "Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, or somebody like that." My mother's friend said she was pretty sure it was Jefferson.) I don't know that the sentiment differs all that much from something one of the founding fathers might have said, but it's a soundbite that comes off pretty absurd when you consider the degree to which the government has militarized. Good luck fighting off those tanks an jets, cattle ranchers.

It's also pretty absurd to suggest that the government is orchestrating cop murders to justify wresting the firearms from its populace. The US Government is primarily Republican-controlled at the moment. The Republicans seem to want to keep guns in the hands of its populace.

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:It's also pretty absurd to suggest that the government is orchestrating cop murders to justify wresting the firearms from its populace. The US Government is primarily Republican-controlled at the moment. The Republicans seem to want to keep guns in the hands of its populace.
Seriously, though, it would make more sense to say the government was orchestrating the murders to anger gun owners and make them more resolute in their gun ownership. This is also pretty absurd, but at least it's the kind of logical leap that looks at the current party distribution in the US Government and what's actually happening among gun owners.

And isn't people shooting cops somewhat like the scenario they lay out, where the populace is taking up arms against its government? Isn't that sort of what people like my stepfather and my mother's friend profess to want?

Have people talked a lot about the possibility of Apple's concert-blocking software being applied to Facebook's livestreaming feature? It seems like something people would talk about. Others are probably more up on the news than I am. I could see it happening.

It wouldn't be hard. They could appeal with some success to privacy laws, especially if there are any logos on shirts, non-public servants in the shot, or bits of corporate music playing in the background.

To be able to argue that there were no legal hurdles to livestreaming, you'd almost need to be on public land in the countryside with no brands visible, no licensed audio of any kind, and no passersby who hadn't already given you rights to use their likenesses.

A cop might need to do little more than play a Prince song on his car's speakers to assure that the audio was dropped. Maybe something from the Batman soundtrack. Maybe "Trust."

I've seen the future, and it will be. I've seen the future, and it works.

That's something for a potential future story. Cop goes to harass or murder a guy. Puts on Prince. It's basically the "Singin' in the Rain" scene from A Clockwork Orange, but with cops and jammed surveillance.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:I'm in Alabama until tomorrow. My mother's friend came to visit. My stepfather started talking about the recent cop murders without giving it its proper context. He said nothing of the cop executions posted to the web this week. She hadn't even heard about them.

My stepfather said he was going to start stocking up on ammunition. My mother's friend said she thought the government was probably orchestrating things like the cop murders so it could take away people's guns. I started countering their bullshit with my own brand of levelheadedness, and they decided to switch topics and ignore me.

Before that, they were trying to talk over me. I assume they were hoping I'd stop talking if they got loud enough and kept interrupting. It's not a bad tactic when talking to someone like me. It's very easy for me to lose my place when I'm speaking if I'm interrupted. Whatever the case, it didn't work on me this time. I just kept going. They didn't exactly put their fingers in their ears and start going "LALALALA!" It was pretty close to that, though. My stepfather pulled out a camping supply magazine, and he started to show her things he was hoping to buy. While I was still talking.

I was being, again, fairly levelheaded. I never once said they were wrong or right about anything. I mentioned that the left had one take on guns and that the right had another, and I said that both were going to try to spin the current situation to suit their agendas.

My stepfather tried to pull out falsely-attributed-to-Jefferson quote about the importance of an armed populace being to take up arms against its own government if said government becomes tyrannical. (He said he was pretty sure it was "Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, or somebody like that." My mother's friend said she was pretty sure it was Jefferson.) I don't know that the sentiment differs all that much from something one of the founding fathers might have said, but it's a soundbite that comes off pretty absurd when you consider the degree to which the government has militarized. Good luck fighting off those tanks an jets, cattle ranchers.

It's also pretty absurd to suggest that the government is orchestrating cop murders to justify wresting the firearms from its populace. The US Government is primarily Republican-controlled at the moment. The Republicans seem to want to keep guns in the hands of its populace.
I have two questions I'd like to ask your family/their friends.

1. The Democrats had 60 seats in the Senate, control of the House and control of the White House during a roughly nine month period from 2009-2010. If ever the evil liberals were going to take all their guns away, wouldn't that have been the time?

2. Should all black people be arming themselves to the teeth right now to protect themselves from a tyrannical branch of government, as they may well see local law enforcement to be? If not, why?
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I'm gonna start the National Body Armour Association. NBAA.

Kevlar for all!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I genuinely struggle to understand how anyone can reasonably think that somewhere in the depths of the White House / Pentagon / Capitol there was a meeting and somebody in power told somebody else in power to go and get some cops to shoot a couple of black guys so that can start the ball rolling on this gun-snatch plan.

Seriously?