What Are You Watching Right Now - The Watching Dead

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now - The Watching Dead

Post by Dalty »

No procedure could make that happen.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Battleship is on TV. I genuinely don't understand the hate for this perfectly harmless and cheekily entertaining movie.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Is there much in the way of Rhianna eye candy? I likes me some Rhi-Rhi.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It was before she became a mardy-faced, over-inked clothes horse.
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:Battleship is on TV. I genuinely don't understand the hate for this perfectly harmless and cheekily entertaining movie.
At last we agree! I thought it was a lot of fun. Stupid, stupid, stupid fun.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Yup! Sometimes stupid fun is...... fun!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

PBS.

More informative and educational in one hour than the entire months output of History, Discovery and National Geographic channels combined these days. Those so-called "educational" channels should hang their heads in shame at the anti-intellectualism they seem to permanently peddle.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

It is a cold-ass night in Toronto. Gonna binge watch some Saul, then rewatch a few movies.

Haven't seen Training Day in awhile.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Have 'The Martian' on demand......
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by omicron »

i started watching BoJack Horseman on Netflix. It's sort of funny, but seems to be really Hollywood/entertainment industry focused. i heard it gets better as it goes along, I think I am only about 5 or 6 episodes in.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

All this high-falutin' talk about gravity waves lately has got me in the mood for some Interstellar again.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I've started going back to Walking Dead. I saw the first 2 seasons but let it go. Now I'm game to take it all in.
Drakemd

Post by Drakemd »

Holy fucking shit Walking Dead! What an episode to introduce the second half of the season!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It's on my Sky box - taunting me..... I am resisting the urge as its 10:50pm here and I have work tomorrow.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

That was a pretty awesome episode of TWD.

Binged "Fear the Walking Dead" last week. Not sure why it was sorta panned, it's not bad. Not like TWD, but it's a cool plague story and I like those. I'll check out the next season when it comes.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Gotta watch it now!!! But I like to drink wine with TWD - and I am not allowed to drink during the week. Ho-motherhubbard-hum.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

You need to drink during the week. Otherwise, you'll dehydrate.
Drakemd

Post by Drakemd »

neglet wrote:That was a pretty awesome episode of TWD.

Binged "Fear the Walking Dead" last week. Not sure why it was sorta panned, it's not bad. Not like TWD, but it's a cool plague story and I like those. I'll check out the next season when it comes.
Negs, make sure you watch the webisodes for Fear the Walking Dead. They are going to introduce a new character on the show through the webisode. They have had 9 installments so far, not sure how many more they will have.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Wine open......
Mango

Post by Mango »

Me and my GF watched "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" over the weekend. I had intended on ignoring it, but surprisingly she wanted to see it. So...easy anniversary present.

I also thought, since I have been lax on writing lately I'd try and work up a little review. (also, lax on spelling. So many red lines to correct before posting this)

Also, I'll attempt to keep spoilers light, but it may be peppered with a few, specifically in the lists.

Ahem

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

In "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" (referred to as PPZ for the future) England is under siege from a terrible plague, the recently dead have risen and are set upon making tea from the brains of their betters. But normal life must go one, and as humanity dwindles down at an ever increasing pace the aristocracy must survive. One man, with little screen time, must attempt to marry off his daughters so that they can abandon the life he has forged for them and mooch off another man.

I'm not really sure what needs to be reiterated here, as this is a project that seems to have permeated the mass consciousness pretty well. It is Pride and Prejudice but they have included zombies, and this was a big deal back when the book came out. It is interesting though that rather than simply bolting on one of the preexisting zombie tropes they have opted to create their own mythology here (granted, they could be lifting from a source unknown to me, but at least it is not an obvious one). And the blending does work well, with the source material providing a well established 'normal life' for the characters to have leaving the writers of this to focus on establishing a solid framework to build on.

They have, however, ran short on Spackle, as events fly by with only a handful of character names and allegiances revealed. A interesting world is built but not shown. And an overzealous plot peters out in a silly fashion that left me with questions that the movie didn't even have to include.
And now, lists:
  • The Good
[*]I enjoyed the zombies. They were gross but not overly gory. I also really enjoyed the idea that it was not returning from the dead that made them evil, but instead cannibalism.
[*]Zombies in period pieces in general is an idea I enjoy. Most zombie films break down to humanity facing it's dark side and our returning to a more primitive time to deal with it. I like the idea of people in those 'primitive' times dealing with it, in much the same fashion as they go about their day. I enjoyed it here, I enjoyed it in Red Dead Redemption and I'd like to see it used elsewhere as well.
[*]The use of martial arts as a staple in this world was pretty cool. That well to do families sent their children off to become better at fighting simply to survive the world as it had become. This helped preserve a bit of determination, and also the difference between styles was an interesting class choice.
[*]Matt Smith. I was worried that he would take me out of the film, but instead he gave me at least one character to latch on to. Very funny.
[*]The acting was pretty competent all around.
  • The Bad
[*]The movie does nothing with it's own world set up or zombie myth. A map is used in a couple of scenes but I was so far removed from events that I had little idea what was happening and where. When the script calls for one daughter to become ill, she is caught in the rain by a zombie, which she easily dispatches. She then sees another and...we are to assume it bit her, even though her entire persona is that of 'zombie killer'.
[*]The zombie plot peters out and there is nothing done with it, except to give one person an out that makes little sense given what the audience has recently watched.
[*]Mr. Darcy is a jerk. He is unlikable, we are given no reason to change our opinion of him, and he pretty much consigned several people to death by ignoring everything the movie has taught us.
[*]The romance in the movie is non-existent. Side characters do a decent enough job, but have no focus. The primary couple simply bicker until the point that they are assumed to fall in love.
[*]The action is rarely seen. This is a movie full of gun toting bad ass martial artists. The film however prefers surprise, off-screen head shots and dark room brawls. Until two of the leads engaged in a sitting room altercation I just assumed this was because no-one had been properly trained. Apparently they were, but showing us would have been too hard.
  • The Fiddly
[*]Some might suggest that I would have less of a problem following along if I had read "Pride and Prejudice". I do not agree with that statement, the viewing of one form of media should not rely upon my having viewed another. This should make me want to read, not demand it.
[*]I did some research and it appears that the ending of the film diverges from that of the novel. By a lot. As it stands the ending of the film made little sense to me, whereas the ending of the book seems like it would have been a more satisfying conclusion.
[*]There is a mid-credits sequence and it pretty much erases everything the movie had accomplished.

This is a decent film, that boasts several fun moments. Ultimately, however, it is a romantic, martial arts, zombie movie in which the romance doesn't work, we can't see the action, and the zombies are shoved aside and ignored. It could have been much more.
Two (out of five) Stars.
Mango

Post by Mango »

I set up PPZ as a way to refer to it later, and then never did so. I suck.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Mr Darcy was always a jerk, even without Zombies. Yet every woman who has read PP (no Z) melts and fawns over him. Leads me to think maybe women love a jerk!
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

All this talk about the global financial shitstorm makes me want to go back and watch Wall Street again.
The Swollen Goiter of God

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Dalty wrote:Leads me to think maybe women love a jerk!
You're clearly setting someone up for a pun. Be wary. I have the wall emoticon cocked and ready to fire at a moment's notice.
neglet

Post by neglet »

Dalty wrote:Mr Darcy was always a jerk, even without Zombies. Yet every woman who has read PP (no Z) melts and fawns over him. Leads me to think maybe women love a jerk!
No no no no no no. The reason women love Darcy is because he is a jerk, and then specifically changes for the better because of what she says to him. Total fantasy.