What Are You Watching Right Now - Not Adam Dancing!!!

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now - Not Adam Dancing!!!

Post by neglet »

I watched "Everest," really liked the score, noticed it was by Dario Marinelli, and immediately afterward put in my favorite score of his, for the Keira Knightley "Pride and Prejudice."

When the husband abandons me to go diving, I do like to indulge in a good wet Darcy.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now - Not Adam Dancing!!!

Post by Mango »

I've had a few off days, because work is drying up, so I've done the wise thing of blowing cash to see movies. Thought i'd do a quick 'good, bad, fiddely' for three movies. Nothing in depth, just a quick one or two points for each entry.

X-Men Apocalypse
Good: There seems to be some real promise here in attempting to maintain a more colorful environment and a bigger, more comprehensive, worldview. Basically, some things are beginning to look right, and we are seeing the mutant situation affect the world.
Bad: Beginning is the word, despite the many events going on in this movie, nothing seems to truly happen. I was bored for the majority of the film.
Fiddley: I always liked that Bryan Singer seemed to take a grounded look at things, hit some details, and make things look plausible. Here powers are simply presented wrong (some that he had presented properly in the past), the tone was off, and there was so much big CGI happening.
Rating: Nope

Conjuring 2
Good: The camera work, lighting, and in general look and feel of this movie really captured the slow dread of things. Wan has this stuff down, and while it may be getting a bit too formulaic, it still works and remains interesting. One bit near the middle caused an audible F-bomb from me for it messed up nature.
Bad: The story felt a bit wobbly. Some small time is spent at the beginning on the Amityville case, but no verdict is given. Granted the movie is not about that, but still. And while the pieces come together at the end, I'm kind of left with a "why?"
Fiddley: While I believe in the supernatural, I do feel the evidence against the Warrens is pretty damning. So it's a bit annoying to give them cash/fame via this film
Rating: But I'm still gonna do it. Good flick.

Warcraft
Good: It presented both sides of the war with some positive aspects. The humans still come out as the clear heroes, but the orcs have their own moments. Really, with a narrower focus and a clearer path this movie could have been really good.
Bad: The quick, brisk pace moves us through an epic tale far too quickly and with too little informative exposition. The real problem is that there is very little real war in this movie, with a lot of the early film devoted to talking about the war going on. And again, not real information, we learn character beats so we can care at the end, but not story beats so we care to get there.
Fiddley: This should have been all live action or all CGI. Kudos for capturing the look of the Warcraft style, but the orcs are so perfectly capture that it feels silly going back to the humans who seem unable to act in their enormous costumes. The half-or looked good, makeup and prosthetic for everyone would have been fine.
Rating: Fun and fast. I don't see it sticking with me, but i'd see the next one.