Lists of Shows I Want to Watch

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: Lists of Shows I Want to Watch

Post by Dalty »

It undergoes something of a transformation too. When it starts it borders on the comical. When it really gets going it gets very dark.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

I do see the comedic, and for me that's hurting it. Feels like all the other characters are written as blends of idiot/asshole just to help Walt be sympathetic.

But, you guys have mentioned liking it, the world loved it, my best friend loves it, and my book club told me it was great.

So i'm going to at least finish season one. I'll probably at least attempt season two since it was bundled with season one.

Also, if my previous post came off as rude, I apologize. I meant it as more of a 'if you all start a thread, i'll watch along.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Walt is often pretty unsympathetic as the show progresses. It's a big-but-relatively-slow shift, and Cranston pulls it off well.

I don't think I've liked it as much as some of my friends have liked it (up s05e06, at least), but I've liked it generally. It's definitely had its moments. I imagine some of its appeal when it was airing was water cooler appeal. It's hard to have that when you're watching a show after the fact. If people are watching it as a group, on the other hand, you may be able to reclaim some of the show's original water cooler appeal.

The two friends who pushed hardest for me to watch it would chat with me after episodes, and I would make my complaints and say what I liked. I would also do my best to anticipate where the storyline was going. I was usually in the ballpark.

It has some decent surprise moments, like most of the shows of its type. It has compelling antagonists who are sometimes pretty likable. There are a couple, in particular, that you will probably find yourself rooting for on more than one occasion.

I doubt I'll rewatch any of it, but I could see myself pulling lines from the chats and posting them alongside others' reactions.