2016 Olympics Dump

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: 2016 Olympics Dump

Post by Dalty »

Maybe. Is he British?
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

With a name like "McMahon," he's obviously a mick.
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:Maybe. Is he British?
For the sake of this conversation? Yes. Yes he is. British as a crumpet.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I have doubts.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

How dare you. Name me two times I've ever steered you wrong before.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

That Trump won't be the nominee.

That the Furious movies are worthwhile endeavours.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

The Russian and the Chinese media are intimating that Britain is somehow cheating hence the high medal score.

I wrote a little about accusations of cheating in that longer Facebook post that I eventually copypasta'd on the first page of this thread. I continued talking about the Olympics on Facebook and wrote something of a companion piece. (I mentioned this previously.) It touches on the idea of one country coming up with a face-saving excuse for another country's success, so I might as well copypasta it:
The Swollen Goiter of God wrote: I agree with S___ B___ that the combination of capitalism and sports is a problematic one. A capitalist system can't help but commoditize a thing, regardless of the purity of its original intention or presentation.

I also agree with S___ H___ that sports has provided women in the US with at least one avenue of self-expression. It has done something similar for minorities. Unfortunately, as is the case with US sports in general, this has occurred within a capitalist system. Female athletes and minority athletes in the US run the risk of being conceived of and dismissed as products--regardless of their level of achievement.

This recasting as products also occurs with athletes who are white and male, to some degree, but athletes who are white and male enjoy the luxury of being in a greater place of power within the capitalist framework. They can more easily be conceived of as *people* who also happen to be athletes. They're less likely than female athletes to have to be seen first as sex objects, and they're less likely than minority athletes to be defined almost entirely by their athleticism.

I see that the US has pulled ahead in both gold medal and total medal counts for the 2016 games. This is as unsurprising to me as it probably should be.

Before the US took this double lead, a number of US Americans in my Facebook feed were questioning whether or not China's success was the result of doping. It may not have been the intention of the questioners to suggest that no country could challenge the superiority of the US without cheating, but I took it that way.

This could just be something I have to work through. I assume the worst of US Americans when it comes to their attitudes toward their competitors.

I mentioned the US's Cold War-era questioning of the USSR in E____'s earlier post. Some of the attitudes toward China's earlier lead seemed to me an extension of that. Speaking of attitudes, articles like this are disheartening:

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/9/124196 ... ie-ledecky

"Rightful" lead? I also see coded language here:

"Diving and weightlifting have been most lucrative for the world's most populous country, bagging three gold medals apiece."

Why even add the "world's most populous country" detail? I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, but it strikes me as something somewhere between an excuse and an accusation. "Of course they're doing well," the writer may be suggesting. "They have the largest pool of people to pull athletes from. There has to be some reason beyond raw athleticism and mettle for them to be doing so well."

Again, this way of looking at things could just be something I have to work through. Still, I see articles like the SB Nation article, and I see mentions of things like "starting beef," and all I can see is the reflection and propagation of unhealthy attitudes.

I also see in Olympic swimming something like a microcosm of my problem with the US's participation in the Olympics. With Michael Phelps, maybe, I see a microcosm within the microcosm. Phelps already had the record for most medals and most gold medals going into the 2016 Olympics. The only real medal record of note he had left to break was Larisa Latynina's individual event medal count. (I guess this may depend on what you consider to be record medals of note.) He tied that last night, and he still has two individual events to go. He will almost certainly break her record before his time in Rio is up.

Phelps hit the fourteen individual medal mark in five trips, of course, while Latynina did it in three. This could be seen to speak to US American excessiveness. What does Phelps have left to prove? What kind of culture would drive a person (and a white male, at that) with a reported worth of $55 million to feel the need to continue to seek accolades and assert his utter dominance in a sport?

There may be, as G____ W_________ says below, some potential for healthy competition with the Olympics. I mentioned earlier that I believe smaller countries have benefited financially and emotionally from participating. Unfortunately, participating is often the best they can manage, and, almost like disadvantaged school kids, they come away with little more than participation medals. The kids with the money and the state-of-the-art training equipment, more often than not, are the ones who walk away with the "real" prizes. In the case of the US and its dominance of the Olympics, it's almost as though they're condescending to allow others to play ball.

For me, the US's Olympic dominance mostly just reinforces the idea that the US can afford--both monetarily and time-wise--to game. It's a gaming culture with an emphasis on winning and with a promise of compensation. We game so much we've developed a game theory. We game so much outside of the Olympics that we're almost just doing our usual thing inside of the Olympics, and then we pat ourselves on the back for doing better than other countries and teams--like, say, the Filipino diving team (I've seen some pretty snotty responses to their performance at the 2016 Olympics)--that have little to no access to the kinds of privileges we enjoy.

(I switched to "we" in the last paragraph to underscore something I said in my response to E____'s other post. I accepted the accomplishments of US Olympians as my own. I'm forcing myself to admit that I'm part of the gaming culture, too, whether or not I like it. I am, after all, looking up medal counts a couple of times a day. I may be doing it for reasons other than many US Americans are doing it, but I'm still doing it.)
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:That Trump won't be the nominee.

That the Furious movies are worthwhile endeavours.
That second one is 1000% truth! How dare you. HOW DARE YOU!

He won't understand what you're trying to say with your last couple sentences, Adam. The phrasing's too American. You need to insert a "very" between "How" and "dare" for Dalty to begin to comprehend.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Rather!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Spiffing.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Pip Pip?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Bingo, my old china!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Up late watching Tae Kwan Do. It's nothing like the movies.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

11pm - Friday - Hockey.

Rock and roll!
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Dalty wrote:Up late watching Tae Kwan Do. It's nothing like the movies.
Olympic tkd is boooooooring. The new equipment that registers hits, both on the hogu (chest protector) and helmet, have completely changed the strategy for competitors. Plus, there's the big game factor-- the same reason Olympic soccer usually has more low scores as ties. But hey, at least you found tkd on your tv.