Alabama, Ladies and Gentlemen!

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Alabama, Ladies and Gentlemen!

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Eleven Weird Food Combinations Alabamians Eat

I usually scratch my head at these sorts of things, but I grew up eating at least half of these combinations.

Banana-and-mayonnaise sandwich? Check. Peanuts and Coke? Check. Cornbread and buttermilk? Check. Watermelon and salt? Check. Mixed peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Check. Fries dipped in sundaes? Check. Peanut butter-and-bacon sandwich? Check.

I've known of fried chicken and waffles, but we never ate them as a combo. They sell them in St. Louis, so it must be a pretty widespread thing. The pickle with peanut butter is new to me. So are the peanut butter cheeseburger and Kool-Aid pickles.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

Cornbread and buttermilk isn't so weird if you consider that Southern-style cornbread is savory. I haven't tried this, but it seems like it would be a tasty combination.

Why would it be weird to mix the peanut butter and jelly before putting them on the bread? They get mixed in there anyway. It may be more work to pre-mix them, I guess.

I don't think it's weird. Even our lunch ladies used to do it. The mix spreads better than solo peanut butter or jelly. The lunch ladies would sometimes mix corn syrup and peanut butter, instead. Corn syrup was cheaper than jelly.

I also don't think cornbread in buttermilk is weird. Most (southern) cornbread recipes already call for buttermilk to go in the mix. My grandfather would also add green beans. That one, admittedly, is kinda weird.

If you feel you absolutely must try the peanut butter/bacon sandwich, I recommend a maple or brown sugar bacon. Otherwise, it will taste like you're eating straight salt. To be honest, I'd recommend not eating it at all. Ingesting one of those is like daring your heart to keep beating.

Two Bass Fishermen Accused of Using Previously Caught Fish in Tournaments

These guys live ten-fifteen minutes from my hometown.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Did you sell them some fish?

Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

In-Laws. Whattaya gonna do.

She left it on the ground!
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Does she want ants?! Because that's how you get ants!!

It was her sister-in-law. It wasn't her aunt.

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

"Exalted Cyclops" ????

I swear these fuckers are just making this up! "Extremely Awesome Unicorn" for the win!

His last name is "Dinkle."

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I seceded this afternoon. I was in there for over 15 minutes and when I left........... My GOD!

Here's an article to go with it:

Pineapple Squirrel Kabobs Get Four Alabama Educators First-Round Win in TV Cook-Off Competition

A friend of mine used to go to church with the dude doing most of the talking. He's from Boaz, which is about ten miles from my hometown. Another one of the guys in the group is an assistant principal at Albertville High School. My grandfather was once an assistant principal at Albertville High School. Another one of the guys teaches at Sylvania High School. That's where my stepsister went to school.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Jesus.

Pam Huff, an Alabama news celebrity, recently posted this piece:

http://www.abc3340.com/story/25619536/i ... -that-dumb

The way her article started off, I felt like I was going to be getting a counterpoint or a response or... something from her.

Maybe she's hoping we will do the legwork for her by applying Betteridge's law of headlines. I'm not sure we're required to, though, since she neglected to give us a question mark at the end of the headline.

This reminds me of the situation in my hometown. The Hispanic population has been building slowly, so people are sending their kids to the neighboring town's school.

You see, when I was in school there, every single kid in class was white. Everybody who lived in Crossville, in fact, was white. Things were peachy and dandy. Never mind that my school had the worst test scores in the county. Never mind that my county had the worst test scores in the state. Never mind that Alabama had the worst test scores in the country. No, things were just great. We were clearly pumpin' out movers and shakers and geniuses of all shapes and sizes. No reason to rock the boat.

I had eighty classmates my senior year. Only sixty-eight of those got diplomas. The other twelve were kids in special education classes who couldn't pass the state's "exit exam." That's right. One-sixth of classmates were technically retarded--and by Alabama's standard of retardation, at that! Our fourth- or fifth-ranked kid had a B average. We had someone in our top twenty with a high C average. We were fuckin' dumb.

Geraldine is the neighboring town. People will invent bullshit reasons for moving their kids there. They say the educational standard there is much higher. This is a lie. It's similarly poor. Despite how low my specific grade's test scores were, Crossville did better than Geraldine about half the time. The two were neck-and-neck. Their students, on the whole, were similarly stupid.

They also say the "sports programs" are much better there. Technically, this is now true. It wasn't when I was in high school. We had more county, division, and state championships across the board. Geraldine and Crossville were the county's big rivals, but Crossville almost always won. We were the Goliath figure, usually. We were a pretty paltry Goliath, but we were still Goliath.

You know why it's true that the sports programs are better in Geraldine at present? Because sports-obsessed parents are sending their kids to Geraldine. In some cases, families are actually moving to Geraldine to be able to send their kids to school there. If a kid shows any talent, it's off to Geraldine. It's pretty fucked up.

People will also say that teachers are having to "dumb down" their lessons and use "simple English" so the Hispanic kids can follow the lessons. This is patently untrue. To begin with, it's not like the English teachers at Crossville were able to use anything *but* simple English to begin with. They're barely able to string a complete sentence together as it is. Using simple English is not something they're "having to do" to accommodate the Hispanic population. Shit.

My mother is the assistant principal at Crossville. She says that the Hispanic kids come to school speaking English on par with native speakers (their parents might not speak decent English, but the kids do, since they tend to have been born in the US) and that the winners of the English awards are, more often than not, Hispanic.

Despite people's excuses, it really boils down to this: the majority of the white people of Crossville are racists and xenophobes, and they don't want their kids associating with Hispanics. Some people, at least, are honest about it, and don't make any excuses. They'll just come right out and say, "I don't want my kid in school with no Meheecans."

These "Meheecans" have begun to move into Geraldine. I heard some people talking about this at a football game a year or two ago. One of the people had a kid who would be old enough to start kindergarten the next year. He lamented that Geraldine was "gonna be just as bad" soon, and said, "I don't know *what* we're gonna do."

I'm almost certain I've complained about all this before. Sorry for the retread.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:Sorry for the retard.
Based on the part of your post focusing on Alabamans' poor educations, this is what I read at first glance.

We're all the same yellow color inside.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Wait wait wait wait...... are you seriously telling me that people are officially proposing a return to black schools for black kids and white schools for white kids? I mean OFFICIALLY??

Sort of. This is, in effect, what will happen if the longstanding, federally imposed desegregation order is done away with. From a technical and legal standpoint, some are trying to argue, it's just a matter of rezoning.

Alabama, Ladies and Gentlemen.