Decisions, decisions

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Decisions, decisions

Post by Dalty »

All 3 LOTR movies on Sky back- to-back?

Or fire up Netflix and 'do' Breaking Bad?
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Decisions, decisions

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

I finished the third season of Breaking Bad recently. It annoys me sometimes, but I generally like it.

I tried watching all the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions back-to-back in 2008. I didn't enjoy it.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Yeah, Two Towers is on now.

I am thinking that in the cold light of day, with the benefit of hindsight, a lot of it is complete fucking bollocks.

Way back when I was watching Jackson's LotR movies for the first time (it's kinda hard to believe it's been more than a decade since Return of the King was released), I was asking myself if maybe I would have enjoyed them more if I had been a decade younger the first time I watched them.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I loved them first time round. Kinda got all swept up in the majestic epic-ness of it all. But watching it now it seems all a bit lazy.

"This is Ethildror of The Hammer Born, Storm Lord Of All Trees And Horses! And other totally made up shit."

Yes, well of course it fucking is! Well, why didn't you say so!??
Quasar
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Quasar »

I do not like The Two Towers at all. Never have.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Breaking Bad is go! Episode 3 already.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

My college roommates were shocked that I hadn't seen the LotR trilogy and that I didn't have any intention to do so. They set out to correct this huge gap in my cultural knowledge - and made me watch the extended editions, too. Biggest fucking waste of twelve hours! I'm glad we didn't watch them back-to-back, or it would have been even more painful. The first movie was still kind of bearable, but with the second and third one I just kept falling asleep on the couch. Eventually, I asked them if we could turn on the subtitles so my mind could occupy itself enough by reading along in order to keep from falling asleep. I mean, it was bad.

Maybe I would have enjoyed these movies if I had read the books, but I feel like a film should be accessible and enjoyable for more than just those people who were already fond of the world and the characters it depicts before they entered the theater. There were just so many characters to keep up with that I simply couldn't give a damn about any of them. Just like Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit, the LotR trilogy simply lacked focus, in my opinion - it went in too many directions at once and tried to cover way too much ground, which got in the way of telling a compelling story. But maybe that's just as much Tolkien's fault as it is Jackson's.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So you haven't seen Faramir and Rothermire and Cashmire find the mighty daemon axe of orinocho flow?
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

The books are pretty focused, as I recall. For instance, the entire first book follows Frodo from the Shire all the way to the breaking of the Fellowship. Even when Frodo's knocked unconscious at the ford of Rivendale, we only know what's going on from what Frodo sees, then picks up again when he wakes up days later in a bed in Rivendale. All we know of what's going on in other places in MIddle Earth are what others tell Frodo, such as Gandolf or Glorfindl or Elrond. The second book is broken into 2 halves. The first half follows 2 parties, Aragorn and his crew, and Marry and Pippen, cutting back and forth between the two. The second half of the book is Frodo and Sam.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Bananarama's Bouncy Bits wrote:So you haven't seen Faramir and Rothermire and Cashmire find the mighty daemon axe of orinocho flow?
I'm not sure I'd care for it.

Sail away! Sail away! Sail away!

I remember the day I learned the title of the Enya song. I said, "Man, I hate that 'Sail Away' song." The person I said it to said, "You mean 'Orinoco Flow'?" I had never heard the actual title. I assumed it was called "Sail Away," because, well, you know. Anyway, the moment the person asked the question, I just knew they knew which song I meant, and I knew their absurdly stupid collection of phonemes had to be the song's actual title. I didn't question it for a second. It made me laugh pretty hard.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Womble period.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Season 2 of Breaking Bad nearly done. Better Call Saul just finished. I am burning through these.