Happy Treason Day

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Happy Treason Day

Post by Dalty »

You ungrateful Colonial bastards!

:D
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Happy Treason Day

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

It was the original Brexit.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Yeah but don't forget your good colonial subjects to the north! Remember how we asked nicely for some independence and sorta mostly got it? Weren't we the good son? Weren't we always your favourites? Makes ass-kissing sound with thumb, forefinger and lips.

So much nicer than those mean, rebellious Yanks and crude, misbehaving Aussies.

I guess the Kiwis are nice too. But so totally weird.
The Swollen Goiter of God

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Canada sorta mostly got it, but part of that might have been thanks to Britain remembering the giant drain on resources the American Revolutionary War turned out to be.

I'm pretty shaky on my Canadian history, but didn't Britain recognize the three colonies as a dominion (apologies, also, if I get any of the official terminology wrong; it's been a long day dealing with the kid, and I'm feeling too lazy to look stuff up) pretty close to the end of the US Civil War? If so, did looking at that whole mess from the outside influence the colonies' and/or Britain's decision-making process at all in the dominion-establishing regard?
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Very true, it is no coincidence that Confederation happened shortly after the Civil War. It was strategically important to have a friendly sovereign nation holding US continental ambitions in check.

Of course, you all just ended up buying us out, piece by piece, but that's another story...

Fun fact: The British North America Act had it's genesis in the same house that is used to film Downton Abbey:
http://www.zoomerradio.ca/news/latest-n ... ederation/