Random

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Re: Random

Post by Space Tycoon »

Now I'm thinking about this again. Dammit, why can't I make up my mind...
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

This was actually an interesting read:
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2 ... -interview

My favorite passage:
...there’s no such thing as a “viral video.” Videos are videos; it’s networks that are viral. “The internet doesn’t actually love cats,” he says. “But there is this very dense, highly connected internet cat industrial complex — people who really love cats who are super well-connected to each other across several platforms, such that if you put just the right cat video in front of somebody, they can get it out to so many cat lovers that all of a sudden you’ll see it replicated 10 times in your Facebook feed.” The assumption that something that’s popular is good, and that something with a lot of views is valuable, has been programmed into us by 100 years of mass media, he argues. And it’s something we need to unlearn “if we’re going to understand memes and if we’re going to understand influence.”
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Every time I hear the title A Wrinkle in Time, in my mind I add "saves nine."
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

This guy I know through that German soccer management game that I play approached me recently to ask if I'd help him with a hobby project. He's programming his own soccer management simulation and since he knows that I create team logos for the online game we play, he asked me if I would create a set of modular player faces for his game. Basically, he would create a random player image generator that would select various elements from a database and put them all together to create a face for a randomly generated player. Since he doesn't have any experience with graphics software, my role would be to create all the elements that would then form a player's face (e.g., hair, eyes, nose, mouth, etc.).

I ended up creating 175 images for the purpose. There's a lot of palette swapping, though, so the number looks higher than it actually is. For example, there are four different head shapes, and each head shape has four different skin colors to choose from, so the total comes out to 16. Same thing with the hair styles: every hair style (except bald) has four hair colors. My most conservative estimate (which does not include the player's jersey color) is that there are over 10 million possible unique combinations of all the elements making up the head and face of the player.

Below is an example, which I'll call Zlatan.

Individual Elements
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Composite Image
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Very cool!
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

I can see why you'd call the example "Zlatan."
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I suppose you'd call it "Mal's cousin."
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

What would you call this one, Goits?

Angry Chaplin.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I knew you'd come through. You're a regular Bastian Balthasar Bux!

Is an Angry Chaplin anything like an Angry Samberg?
Attachments
angry-samberg.png
angry-samberg.png (159.4 KiB) Viewed 8190 times
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Angry Samberg looks a lot like Adam Driver. :o

It's true. I've thought the same a number of times. They could play siblings.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Sack Glyder is a fucking charmer, ain't he:
https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/z ... 0-6465843/
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Mal Shot First wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 3:39 pm This guy I know through that German soccer management game that I play approached me recently to ask if I'd help him with a hobby project. He's programming his own soccer management simulation and since he knows that I create team logos for the online game we play, he asked me if I would create a set of modular player faces for his game. Basically, he would create a random player image generator that would select various elements from a database and put them all together to create a face for a randomly generated player. Since he doesn't have any experience with graphics software, my role would be to create all the elements that would then form a player's face (e.g., hair, eyes, nose, mouth, etc.).

I ended up creating 175 images for the purpose. There's a lot of palette swapping, though, so the number looks higher than it actually is. For example, there are four different head shapes, and each head shape has four different skin colors to choose from, so the total comes out to 16. Same thing with the hair styles: every hair style (except bald) has four hair colors. My most conservative estimate (which does not include the player's jersey color) is that there are over 10 million possible unique combinations of all the elements making up the head and face of the player.
I meant to share this a while back because I've actually had it for some time: The guy I was working with assembled a prototype of the player faces generator that he'll be using for his game. He didn't limit any of the hair color/skin color combinations like I had intended, so some of the outcomes are kind of funky-looking, but whatevs. Still pretty cool. Here's a download link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/scbin3wl8fj3sy ... erator.rar

Instructions:
Download the RAR file and unzip the contents. Then run the BAT file (you'll need the latest version of Java to run it).
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I couldn't suppress my chuckles while reading this article: https://metalreport.co.uk/the-horror-be ... ong-radio/

It reminded me of when my undergrads learned about German history and then had to write about it: "East Germany was seriously bad, you guys! People there couldn't listen to any of the cool Western music - all they got was Heino!"
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

It's got a nice beat, and you can goose-step to it.