Disney Infinity

For Mal
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Disney Infinity

Post by Mango »

I reviewed this on my blog
http://wellreadbear.wordpress.com/2014/ ... inity-2-0/

The inability to use any character in any playset really bugs me.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Disney Infinity

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

It does seem to be everybody's major gripe. On the other hand, don't many of the characters have environment-specific abilities that would cause them to be too weak or too strong in different environments, and wouldn't it require a shit-ton of recoding for older playsets to accommodate newer characters?

I'm asking because I really don't know. The questions aren't rhetorical. Your blog post probably covers this. I'll try to get around to reading it later in the day.
Mango

Re: Disney Infinity

Post by Mango »

To be honest I am somewhat unfamiliar about non-marvel characters abilities. I have heard that Stitch has a bevy of abilities such as super jumps, rolling into a ball, and wall crawling. I don't feel any of those would really break the game more than flying does- a trait shared by two of the main starter figures. I also feel that if a person goes out and spends fifteen bucks on a new figure he should be allowed a sleight advantage if given one.
Also with the honesty, Stitch's abilities make him better able to complete the main game than Black Widow.

I will conceed that adapting the older figures would be harder and I'm willing to let that slide. Although Skylanders does upgrade all the older figures each time they release a new version, including a round of new animations for each figure when they brought in jumping*. So really it does feel like laziness on Disney's part, especially since you can use the old figures in the new edition.

But I do admit, I know little about the coding of things.

As a side story, when playing a custom created level me and my girlfriend both had much trouble finishing it but in opposite ways. It was designed as a straight platformer and she has some trouble with those. So as Black Widow she kept falling to her death due to mistimed jumps. I was using Thor and getting annoyed because it's almost too easy to fly and I was trying to play by the 'rules.'

*I do not own Skylanders, my information is gleamed from many reviews and research conducted while determining if I should buy it.