Scool Fighter II

For Mal
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Scool Fighter II

Post by Mal Shot First »

In the "overrated classics" thread, I mentioned how I didn't get to play fighting games as a kid and then went a bit overboard once I was actually allowed to play them. My sister and I even created an idea for a fighting game that involved all of our friends and some teachers at our high school - and we named it Scool Fighter II.

The II at the end was kind of a joke. There was no Scool Fighter game that preceded it, but just like pretty much nobody back in the day had heard of the original Street Fighter, we pretended like nobody had heard of the first game in the series. The spelling of "Scool" was originally a typo, but we decided to leave it as a parody of inventive spellings to make titles sound cooler. So we came up with background stories for all of our friends (explanations why they're fighting, who their rivals are, etc.) and with names and input combinations for their special moves. I would link you to the website where we had listed all the characters, along with their portraits and moves, but the web hosting company I had been using since 9th grade went under in 2010 or so and then the company that bought it also tanked in 2013. Sad times.

Over the years, I did work on turning this idea into an actual game, but I never got very far. There were simply too many characters and the process of creating the sprites was too time-intensive. I was using M.U.G.E.N., the standard fighting game creator in the homebrew community. Unfortunately, I never got good enough to create characters from scratch, but I did manage to learn how to edit already existing characters. The following is an example of a character I edited for the purposes of the game:

Aaron is based on Robert Garcia from NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (he's otherwise known for his appearances in the Art of Fighting and King of Fighters games). The superficial changes include a palette swap and an added goatee in the character portrait. The specials and super specials have not been changed. The elements I can truly call my own are the hyper specials. In the hyper special I took over from the original character (Hyper Special 1), Ryo Sakazaki (Art of Fighting, King of Fighters) has been replaced by Sakura Kasugano (Street Fighter series). She is my sister's favorite character and serves as her avatar in the game. A second hyper special has been added, Mexican Hat Dance (Hyper Special 2), which mimics Akuma's (Street Fighter) Raging Demon.

The dummy opponent is Gambit from Marvel vs. Capcom with a green coat. He's my avatar in the game.
Last edited by Mal Shot First on February 19th, 2014, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Scool Fighter II

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

It should be 'S Cool Fighter II.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I forgot to mention that the stage depicted in the background of the video is an actual photo of the exterior of my old high school.

A Huffy Flounce game would be fun. I'd like to see Strider fight Fake Strider.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

We could also throw in Strider Hiryu.

I was actually thinking about a Huffy Flounce game as I was writing my original post. H***o could be the final boss.

H***o had his own NES game, after all.
Quasar
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Quasar »

Wasn't that the game that killed the NES for good?

No. It was the one that rescued it from obscurity.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:A Huffy Flounce game would be fun. I'd like to see Strider fight Fake Strider.
But who would win? Fake Strider, or Strider?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

HE'S AT HOME... WASHIN' HIS TIGHTS!

Was that not the response you were looking for?