Trailers

For Mal
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Trailers

Post by Mal Shot First »

I'm intrigued.

Mal Shot First

Re: Trailers

Post by Mal Shot First »

Holy crap! How had I not heard about this before?

The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

The original line reading for "What can you tell me about . . . voodoo?" is pretty awesome:

Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

You probably know this, but that's Tim Curry as the voice of Gabriel Knight.

I did know, but it's not something I've known for all that long. I didn't play the game back in the day. I've just watched playthroughs since the advent of YouTube.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

It looks like there are other classic games getting the remastered treatment.

Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

And here's an actual trailer for the game:

Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Between that and Arkham Knight I can see my PS4 is going to have to put in some overtime.
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by omicron »

Yup, this game might be the one that makes me get a next-gen console.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

My PS4 has been in hibernation since I finished the CoD campaign. This will make me fire it up again.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I don't even know what the game is. Is any part of the trailer actually playable or are these pre-rendered cinematics? What do you actually do in the game?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Who cares.... It looks cool and STARWARSTARWARSTARWARSTARWARS!

It's cool again now. JJ Abrams says so.
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

Mal Shot First wrote:I don't even know what the game is. Is any part of the trailer actually playable or are these pre-rendered cinematics? What do you actually do in the game?
It's a multiplayer game, made by the same folks who've made the Battlefield games.

The Battlefield games are considered to be more mature versions of the COD games.

The COD games reward individual effort, so players, even in team games, spend more time compiling individual stats rather than working as a team to accomplish an objective. Battlefield features larger (destructible) maps, vehicles (ground and air) and rewards teamwork. If you fly solo in Battlefield you are toast.

Battlefront = Battlefield with Star Wars gloss, and it will be fucking glorious.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Yes, Battlefield is like CoD, just a little bit more shit! ;)
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Corporal_Hicks wrote:It's a multiplayer game, made by the same folks who've made the Battlefield games.

The Battlefield games are considered to be more mature versions of the COD games.
Oh, good: Another first-person shooter!

It's first-person shooters all the way down. That's the way it seems to me, anyway, especially where PlayStation and Xbox gaming are concerned.

I guess there are sometimes first-person stabbers. And I guess there are games where the character you're manipulating is fully visible and in the center of the screen. I have this impression that most of it is 360-degree gaming, though, and to someone without much playing experience (I've watched a fair number of playthroughs on YouTube, so I'm not completely in the dark), it all feels pretty samey. I'm sure games like Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, and God of War are all vastly, vastly different. I'm sure some are more narrative-based, some are more hack-and-slash-like, and some are more hide-and-seek/stealth-like, but to this old grump, they're all Kids on My Lawn.

Side-scrolling platformers could all be pretty samey, but they could also feel quite different to me, so I'm sure all these 360-degree games feel quite different to the people who play them regularly. I kinda regret not keeping up with gaming. I realize I've said all of the above before, so I apologize for repeating it all again.

Do the current generations of PlayStation and Xbox have a selection of god games, puzzle games, real-time strategies, and turn-based strategies, or are these kinds of games still mostly played on the PC?

I still haven't played any of the PlayStation 2 games we bought when we bought the used PlayStation 2. Jubboiter was pretty young when we first bought it. Playing games with her in the room was near-impossible, and I was too tired to play anything once she went to bed. The TV was also right next to her bedroom, which would have meant playing with the sound either off or way down. The situation's changed a bit, so maybe I can finally start trying to play some of the games I got. I got Shadow of the Colossus, Bully, and Red Dead Revolver. I can't remember what all Jubbers got. I know she got Burnout 3. I've played a little of it with her, but she's mostly played it without me.
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

Mal Shot First wrote:Oh, good: Another first-person shooter!
Not sure how else they can make it. 16 vs 16 with At-Ats, Y-Wings, Snipers,etc.

I guess Dark Forces sucked too?

I don't know about these games, but I do remember when Super Star Wars came out. It wasn't necessarily groundbreaking, style- or play-wise, but it was Star Wars. For kids my age who were fans of Star Wars, that alone made it special. It was rare that I regretted being a Genesis kid, but whenever I thought about how SNES kids got Super Star Wars, it made me jealous.

The Sega 32X had Star Wars Arcade. I never got to play it. I don't think I even knew anyone with a 32X.
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

Think of the difference between Super Mario Bros and Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.

Gameplay ultimately dictates how fun a game is, not perspective.

Skyrim isn't the same as Call of Duty which isn't the same as Battlefield.

What burns most modern games is not the perspective but the emphasis on the multiplayer suite. Developers either spend too much time (or too little time) adding multiplayer options to games. Some make sense (any war game), some don't (any Assasin's Creed game).
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I'm not in the same camp as Goiter when it comes to perspective (i.e., I can distinguish different genres that use similar perspectives). However, if you presented me with gameplay from a Battlefield game and then showed me an entry in the Call of Duty franchise, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you which one is which. Maybe draping one of these franchises in Star Wars clothes will make them more interesting, though - what do I know.

I guess they've already made Star Wars games in the RPG and MMORPG genres, with varying success, so they're trying the most mainstream thing possible now. It seems, though, that by focusing on the battlefront soldiers they're taking the most mundane thing about the Star Wars universe to make a game about. What makes most Star Wars narratives interesting to me is that they are driven by individuals who are in some way extraordinary and possess unusual skills. Making the run-of-the-mill soldier the protagonist just doesn't excite me, personally.

Hicks wrote:Think of the difference between Super Mario Bros and Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.
Thinking of the difference between games like Super Mario Bros. and Castlevania 2 is what led me to say that "[s]ide-scrolling platformers . . . could also feel quite different to me."
Mal wrote:What makes most Star Wars narratives interesting to me is that they are driven by individuals who are in some way extraordinary and possess unusual skills. Making the run-of-the-mill soldier the protagonist just doesn't excite me, personally.
Maybe it'll depend on the cutscenes/narrative they build around the first-person shooting. The Halo games seem pretty bland to me when I watch the gameplay, but people tell me the storyline sets it a part. I've never watched any Halo playthroughs, so I have no idea. I watched an end scene or a near-end scene for one of them. I think maybe some character sacrificed herself in it or something. (Spoilers?) I forget. It gave me the impression that there was a good bit of character development, though, and that whatever the character was doing would have meaning for players. I'm sure they can do the same with Battlefront if they want.

I guess I just kind of assumed that even these run-of-the-mill soldier games built complex narratives and gave players characters to care about. I thought that was one of the draws of modern gaming. Do only some of the games bother with that stuff?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

No, I think most of them have some kind of single-player campaign, but it's always my impression that the competitive multiplayer (not to be confused with co-op campaigns offered by some titles) is the real "moneymaker" in terms of what people spend most of their time playing in a FPS game. The campaign is almost just there to introduce you to the weapons and get you used to controlling the character. Maybe that's not a fair assessment of contemporary FPS war games, but all I've seen of Battlefield and Call of Duty has been pretty bland. I should say, though, that the only one I've invested any significant time in was Battlefield: Bad Company 2. It was bad, all right.

I also recognize that not all shooters are created equal. The BioShock games stand out as examples of FPS games done in an interesting way, but the reason I think that is probably that I think of their centerpiece being the story and not the multiplayer (to my knowledge, only BioShock 2 even has a multiplayer mode, but that, too, is story-driven).
omicron

Post by omicron »

Games like Fallout and Mass Effect are technically FPS, but they have no multiplayer and probably should be considered RPG games rather than shooters. On the other hand, Battlefield and COD are mostly multiplayer based. Sure they have a single player campaign, but I personally rarely play them. I am a heavy player of BF4, and I've never even put in the campaign disk. I will eventually since it unlocks weapons for the multiplayer, but the story is secondary.