Anstoss-Online

For Mal
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Anstoss-Online

Post by Mal Shot First »

This is where I'll be talking to myself for the most part.
Last edited by Mal Shot First on June 11th, 2015, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mal Shot First

Re: Fussballmanager-Online

Post by Mal Shot First »

What I really like about this game is the underlying structure. Most other browser-based multiplayer soccer manager games out there will let the user create his own team as part of the registration process. You then start from zero and try to build up your franchise. While I can see the appeal in this approach, it always felt like the team I managed didn't really matter to me or to the game world I was in. I could quit playing the game, the team I created would be deleted, and nobody would care.

FM-O works differently. The clubs exist separately from the managers, so when I took over the team I'm currently managing, it already had its own history within the game world: relegation from the premier division into the second and then third division, and the eventual promotion back to the second. There was already a mix of stronger and weaker, younger and older players - I didn't have to start with a crappy squad and do everything from scratch. All of this makes me feel like what I do with the team will leave a lasting impression, even if I log off forever.

The major drawback to this system, of course, is that managers almost never get fired (you have to mismanage your club pretty badly and amass outrageous debt to be dismissed from your position) and have to leave of their own free will if the club is to become available for other players. I was actually pretty lucky that I joined right at a time when a decent club in the French Deuxième Division had become available. With some relatively minor improvements, I was able to change the squad enough to compete for a spot in the Top 5 of the table.

I've already written in a thread at CA that I finished 4th at the end of last season, only due to having scored a few goals less than the club in 3rd place. Well, I'm competing for promotion once again this season, but competition is proving a lot tougher than last year. Two clubs that were relegated from the Première Division are proving incredibly difficult to compete with. One of them is basically unchallenged for 1st place: 21 wins, 2 draws, 0 defeats so far (my team eked out a draw against them, which I was pretty proud of). I am currently in 4th place again after 23 rounds, but there's still a long way to go until the end of the season and the toughest matches are yet to be played.

Current League Table (My team is CT Sedan)
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

I love the idea of football manager sims but I generally find I struggle to invest the time needed to really, really master them. I have played a few free online ones lately too and do OK, but after not logging in for a while the injuries take their toll on my squad. :(
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Is it at all possible that a team a person created and abandoned could excel despite the lack of human involvement?

If so, would we be in danger of this team developing a mind of its own and taking over the Internet?
Mal Shot First

Re: Anstoss-Online

Post by Mal Shot First »

@Dalty: It definitely pays off to check in with your team on a regular basis, although this particular game has only one match per week (sometimes two if there is an international or cup match). Otherwise, you just have to set up the training sessions and tactics for the upcoming match and you're set. I check in every day to adjust the training sessions based on the results each day, but many other players log in once or twice a week. As in any game, you're rewarded for spending more time with it, but casual players aren't completely left behind.

@Goits: The AI that handles abandoned or unoccupied teams is fairly rudimentary. It handles the lineups for the matches, sets up practice, and can even sign players. Most AI-operated clubs are merely functional, though, and not competitive enough to dominate a league, for example. The AI is there simply to prevent a club from going under completely due to the lack of management.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

It's been a while since I last wrote anything here, but this seems like a good occasion for it. The game has since been re-branded as Anstoss-Online (Anstoss means kick-off in German).

I finished in 4th place again in the 2013-14 season, so I was competing in the French Deuxième Division again in the 2014-15 season. There is currently only one round of matches left, but I have already secured 2nd place, trailing one point behind first. If I win my final match and the 1st-place team draws or loses, I'll claim the Second League championship. If not, I'll remain in 2nd place, but I'll still get promoted to the Première Division. I'm okay with that. :)
Attachments
League Table.png
League Table.png (38.31 KiB) Viewed 9850 times

That's pretty sweet, Mal!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Awesome end to the season! Can I watch live on Sky Sports?

Also, can I interest you in the England manager job???
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Thanks, guys!

Broadcasts are only available with German commentary, I'm afraid. :)

I also fear I wouldn't be any good managing England. Not because I don't have any real-world experience, but because I know a lost cause when I see one. ;)
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Cheeky fucker!

He's only right!