Trailers

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Master Skywalker
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Re: Trailers

Post by Master Skywalker »

neglet wrote:
Master Skywalker wrote:Of course, the city destroyers in the first film were massive enough to have their own gravity well, and while they did a decent job depicting the heat generated by their atmospheric entry (the fireball that consumed that one radar plane), they glossed over the fact the explosion of all those giant craft across the Earth probably would've done more harm than good.

I can't even fathom how there will even be an Earth left to inhabit after this new, far larger ship from the trailers has finished scouring the planet. It appears to dwarf the mothership from ID4.
If you read "Beyond Star Trek," in which a physicist assesses the science in many common sci-fi TV shows and movies, he points out that the hovering saucer ships shown in "Independence Day" are so large that just by virtue of the force needed to stay aloft they would utterly crush anything beneath them. So if we worried about science at all, the movie could've ended as soon as those suckers showed and destroyed major cities just by hovering.
Like Harry Knowles? :mrgreen:

(Sorry, I had to.)
On December 20, 2019, the Greatest Saga Ever... concludes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May the Force be with you
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

He would destroy it first from a distance with his explosive diarrhoea. Unless he had seen BvS, then he would be cured.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Dalty wrote:He would destroy it from a distance with his explosive diarrhea. Unless he had watched it a second time in IMAX 3-D. Then he would realize he loved it.
Fix'd.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

neglet wrote:If you read "Beyond Star Trek," in which a physicist assesses the science in many common sci-fi TV shows and movies, he points out that the hovering saucer ships shown in "Independence Day" are so large that just by virtue of the force needed to stay aloft they would utterly crush anything beneath them. So if we worried about science at all, the movie could've ended as soon as those suckers showed and destroyed major cities just by hovering.
That's assuming that they're hovering based on technology and physics we're familiar with. Who's to say that in the ID universe the aliens haven't discovered some way to make their ships hover without the use of thrusters? Maybe they're somehow able to use the Earth's magnetic field, or something. I don't know - I'm not an alien engineer!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Mal Shot First wrote:I'm not an alien engineer!
Well that's just fucking disappointing!
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

However, I am a cosmic ass-engineer.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Honour = restored!
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Looks kinda like you!
Master Skywalker

Mal Shot First wrote:
neglet wrote:If you read "Beyond Star Trek," in which a physicist assesses the science in many common sci-fi TV shows and movies, he points out that the hovering saucer ships shown in "Independence Day" are so large that just by virtue of the force needed to stay aloft they would utterly crush anything beneath them. So if we worried about science at all, the movie could've ended as soon as those suckers showed and destroyed major cities just by hovering.
That's assuming that they're hovering based on technology and physics we're familiar with. Who's to say that in the ID universe the aliens haven't discovered some way to make their ships hover without the use of thrusters? Maybe they're somehow able to use the Earth's magnetic field, or something. I don't know - I'm not an alien engineer!
And yet, their mothership's OS is so shitty it couldn't stop a virus made by primitive humans. EPIC FAIL, aliens!

They're almost as dumb as those Signs aliens who didn't realize they were allergic to water.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It's like that time I went to a vegetarian restaurant and then remembered I like meat.
Master Skywalker

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:They're almost as dumb as those Signs aliens who didn't realize they were allergic to water.
And chose a planet that's 75% WATER to invade!

Brilliant planning, idiots!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

We have frequently used the Marines to invade a desert.
Master Skywalker

Dalty wrote:We have frequently used the Marines to invade a desert.
Yeah, but does sand make the Marines die in a matter of seconds?!?

No, seriously, DOES IT?!?! :shock:

;)
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

THE INFIDEL DOGS WILL DIE!!!!!!
Master Skywalker

Dalty wrote:THE INFIDEL DOGS WILL DIE!!!!!!
Uhh, what was that all about, Dalty? :?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Master Skywalker wrote:
The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:They're almost as dumb as those Signs aliens who didn't realize they were allergic to water.
And chose a planet that's 75% WATER to invade!

Brilliant planning, idiots!
THPOILERTH!!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Master Skywalker wrote:
Dalty wrote:THE INFIDEL DOGS WILL DIE!!!!!!
Uhh, what was that all about, Dalty? :?
On sand, the infidel with their plastic boats full of air! Ok.......
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Assuming that Signs was actually about aliens. Instead of really being about something else.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Subtext, bitches.

I didn't say it was about aliens. I said its aliens were dumb.

I also find the faith subtext to be handled pretty poorly. It's pushy, it's contrived, it's goofy, and it would take a warped mind to arrive at the conclusions the Gibson character arrives at based on the circumstances surrounding him. To be honest, I think Shyamalan handles the alien angle better than he handles the faith angle.

Some part of me thinks arrogance motivated Shyamalan to pursue the Christian faith angle. I think he thought he was such a great storyteller that he could build a convincing and meaningful allegory around a religion to which he, personally, didn't subscribe.

If you were to ask him about it, he'd probably say something generic about how all faiths are one in a roundabout way and how what's important is that a person believe in something greater than himself. There probably aren't that many people who would find his words all that convincing, though, since I doubt there are many people out there willing to believe that Shyamalan could believe anything to be greater than himself.

The "His lungs were closed!" bit is especially idiotic. That's not how asthma works. If the inflammation had become severe enough to actually knock the kid out, you probably would have seen some terrified faces, some discoloration, and some serious flailing just before. The fainting would have occurred due to lack of oxygen to the brain. It should have taken longer than it did for things to get to that point, sure, but I can understand Shyamalan taking advantage of a little plot convenience.

After the kid lost consciousness--and, again, it should have taken longer to get to that point--it's likely the bronchioles would have relaxed a bit, which would have resulted in some shallow breathing. Whatever the case, his lungs shouldn't have "closed" entirely. If they had, and if the kid truly would have entered into respiratory failure, I'm not sure an adrenaline shot would have been the way to go. (Doesn't he give the kid a shot? I haven't seen the movie since I saw it in the theater, so I could be misremembering.) It can restore blood flow to the brain a bit, and it can relax the lungs to some degree, but it's jarring as hell, and most medical professionals would probably recommend that other things be done first.

I doubt the kid would have regained consciousness gently as a result of the shot. He probably would have woken up in pain and with the shakes, and he probably still would have been fighting for breath. That almost certainly wouldn't have been the end of it. He would have needed a puff from a rescue inhaler or some oxygen or a nebulizer.

Asthma faints are terrifying and painful. I've been there.

The Gibson character takes his time about getting the kid away, which isn't all that smart. If we choose to believe that his lungs are actually "closed," it should be a given that new oxygen's not getting to the brain, which means brain death is about to start setting in. Why does the Gibson character take him all the way outside? Why not just leave the room? Why not go wherever all the kid's asthma meds are?

Also, the alien straight up covers that kid's face in gas. It probably should have left some residue--especially in the nostrils. It's alien gas, of course, so it's not like we can know its properties. Maybe the Gibson character should have taken a washcloth to the kid's face or held the kid under water or something. Why not? What's the kid gonna do? Drown? Impossible! HIS LUNGS WERE CLOSED!

The more I've thought about it over the years, the more I've wondered if maybe Shyamalan is also making fun of Christianity. It surprises me that more Christians aren't insulted by it. It takes an incredibly long list of signs (SIGNS! HEY, EVERBUDDY! THET'S THE NAME UV THE MOOBIE!) for the priest to regain his faith. It takes him believing that his god did a metric shit ton of orchestrating. His god had to orchestrate his wife's death so that his wife would say some stagey deathbed (or, rather, deathtree) bullshit to remind him to tell his younger brother to beat an alien with a bat years later. His god also had to work in the daughter's weird-ass fetish with the filled glasses of water. The Gibson character also makes it clear that he comes away from the experience believing his god gave his son asthma just so the son would survive the alien spray.

When I say Gibson's character makes it clear, I mean he actually *says* it. He says something along the lines of "That's why he had asthma!" Seriously, man. How can Shyamalan not be poking fun? He makes it so that Gibson's character appears to believe his god SENT AN ALIEN across space to bring him back to his faith. Gibson's character must believe that his god really, really worked overtime to restore his faith. He must feel he's pretty important for his god to do that for him. His god didn't do that for everybody, after all. He's special. And he has a son with god-given asthma to prove it. (I hope Gibson's character's god relieves the kid of his asthma after this. He no longer needs it. It served its purpose.)

It should be noted that Shyamalan has the temerity to show up in his own movie to tell the Gibson character that he thinks the aliens are afraid of water. That's right. Shyamalan SHOWS GIBSON'S CHARACTER THE WAY. This only strengthens my belief that Shyamalan's story choices were motivated by arrogance. (He would revisit this in a roundabout way in Lady in the Water. Once again, he shows up in his own movie--this time as a character whose writing is so powerful it can create. He also includes a straw man movie critic [played by Bob Balaban] who is shown to be bad and wrong about everything.)
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

It was funny when Mel Gibson said "ass" after Joaquin Phoenix said "ass."

Ass is a funny word.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Did I mention that pot is like, really huge in Toronto now?

Huge-ass.