E3 2016 Dump

For Mal
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

E3 2016 Dump

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Lots of trailers and the such. Figured I'd start a thread.

Re: E3 2016 Dump

It's pretty and it's cinematic. It's an engaging viewing experience. On the other hand, it looks like it's mostly on rails. Maybe I'm only saying this because I'm not actively playing it, but it looks to me like the player--for this section of the game, at least--doesn't really do all that much. It's also clearly very early in the game. Maybe it requires more and more player input as the game goes along. Or maybe it requires way more player input here than I realize, and I'm just being tricked by how cleanly everything is rendered. Again, I'm not actively playing.

I'm still years and years and consoles and consoles behind, but I've begun to develop this idea that modern gaming often doesn't require that much input from the player. A lot of the time, it seems like you just hit a mark/checkpoint, press X, and watch as the game completes some task for you. Are precision and timing still as important as they used to be?

It's probably a situation where it's just a different kind of gaming for a different kind of player. I imagine open worlds, 360-degree gameplay, save states, complex controller configurations, and the integration of multiple, lengthy, narrative-driving cutscenes have all combined to make gaming a very different beast. We've been in this era of gaming for at least a decade and a half, though, so I wonder if gaming today feels much different from how it felt a decade ago. Graphics are more complex than they were in 2001, of course, so there's that.

I know I've said some version of the above before. I've gone Full Dalty. You never go Full Dalty.

A few comments:

(1) I have fond memories of the LJN game. I was terrible at it, but I liked it.
(2) It wouldn't surprise me if some people got pretty upset about the Jason mode of this game.
(3) That Jason mode doesn't look very challenging. Especially since Jason can freakin' teleport.
(4) Jason's ability to teleport would explain a lot about the movies.
(5) I say the Jason mode doesn't look very challenging, but it occurs to me that he's brought down half the time by some tiny teenager.

More:

Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

I see Kratos keeps up with the times by growing a hipster beard.
The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:On the other hand, it looks like it's mostly on rails. Maybe I'm only saying this because I'm not actively playing it, but it looks to me like the player--for this section of the game, at least--doesn't really do all that much. It's also clearly very early in the game. Maybe it requires more and more player input as the game goes along. Or maybe it requires way more player input here than I realize, and I'm just being tricked by how cleanly everything is rendered. Again, I'm not actively playing.
Part of it is due to the type of game that God of War is. Especially early on in each installment, the game will take over much of the time to ease the player into the experience. Often, this functions as a type of tutorial that shows you what each button or button combination does. Things tend to get quite a bit more complex later on (especially when you have to master combos in order to fill certain types of gauges more efficiently), but because the game is primarily a brawler, it's still quite linear. Like 2-D brawlers at later levels, it requires knowledge of the enemy types, which in turn helps you manage all the enemies on the screen. Speed and accuracy are often involved. Quick reflexes are needed for quick-time events, which occurred fairly frequently in previous God of War games. There are some platformer elements and light puzzle solving, but I'd say that most people probably don't play these games for those reasons.

Of course, they could have made this game completely different from its predecessors. Hard to say from the demo.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:More:

GIANT ENEMY CRAB at 0:26.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

"Death Stranding" looks really odd, and the name is also odd. But, it does raise interest/curiosity.

The "Friday the 13th" game seems interesting. I like the concept, though I liked it better back when it was an homage and didn't actually have the license. A matter of preference really. It still looks a little rough, but I like some of the touches. I like how the Jason theme kicked in when the kid could see him in the window. I do wonder how it will keep people interested: at best it seems like a slow burn of an online game which really goes against the standard model. Plus, if you die early on how do you stay interested? I know I should have an inherent tie to my teammates but if I mess up and get offed a minute in to the game I don't want to just spectator for the next thirty minutes.
omicron

Post by omicron »

I watched a bunch of stuff on Battlefield 1. Looks good, but I am really not interested in the WWI setting.
Master Skywalker
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Master Skywalker »

The games shown at E3 that interested me the most:

Horizon: Zero Dawn - I've been following this game for awhile with great anticipation, and the demos I saw heightened that. The graphics are fantastic, with highly-detailed environments filled with intriguingly mysterious robotic analogs to dinosaurs and other creatures. And the combat looks both challenging and fun. Really looking forward to playing it.

God of War - They haven't appended a "4" to the name, so I'm not going to, either. This was a pleasant surprise -- not so much because we didn't know it was coming (we did), but rather because the game seems to be a more contemplative take on everyone's favorite god-murdering Spartan, Kratos. His interactions with his son were emotionally-engaging in a way that none of the previous GoW games have been. Of course, we're still going to get the badass who loves curb-stomping harpies, but it appears that they're placing an emphasis on making Kratos a more three-dimensional character.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I've been very critical of Nintendo since the tail-end of the Wii's lifetime, but despite that, their first-party titles remain the most beloved in all of gaming, and BotW demonstrated why you can never dismiss them as a videogame company. I don't own a Wii U, but I'm seriously considering getting an NX after watching several extended gameplay videos of this beautiful game. I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I didn't play Skyward Sword because I didn't feel compelled to get the gimmicky Wii U. To be fair, the NX will probably have some gimmick (since that seems to be part of Nintendo's console strategy these days), but DAMN, Breath of the Wild looks incredibly fun. It features a gigantic open world that can be explored in whatever manner the player wants, with a focus on survival. Certain regions of the game world are cold or hot, and Link reacts accordingly, shivering or sweating profusely. If you spend too much time in a hostile environment, his health gets depleted, until he dies. This can be prevented by wearing thicker clothing, or obtaining certain items/upgrades. It's all very RPG-like, and as a lifelong RPG fan, this delights me.

Scalebound - This game comes from Hideki Kamiya, which immediately caught my eye because he's the director of the original Devil May Cry, as well as highly-acclaimed titles like Bayonetta, Ōkami and Viewtiful Joe. You play as a sword-wielding adventurer in a Fantasy world, with a giant dragon by your side. The player can switch control from the main character to the dragon, and they can mount the dragon for aerial combat. The demo they showed at the keynote featured a multiplayer battle against a titanic crab-like monster, and it looked really, really cool. If you know Kamiya, you know this game oozes style.

There were other interesting games shown at the convention, like Dishonored 2, Final Fantasy XV, and ReCore, but these are the four that stood out the most to me. For the record, I'm a Final Fantasy fan, and I like a lot of what I see in FFXV, but Square-Enix has to prove to me they've regained their footing after falling behind Western RPG developers this past decade.
Last edited by Master Skywalker on June 17th, 2016, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
On December 20, 2019, the Greatest Saga Ever... concludes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May the Force be with you

Master Skywalker wrote:The graphics are fantastic, with highly-detailed environments filled with intriguingly mysterious robotic analogs to dinosaurs and other creatures.
A collection of cutscenes for anyone on the fence:

Master Skywalker

Post by Master Skywalker »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:
Master Skywalker wrote:The graphics are fantastic, with highly-detailed environments filled with intriguingly mysterious robotic analogs to dinosaurs and other creatures.
A collection of cutscenes for anyone on the fence:

Still better than Age of Extinction. :wall:
On December 20, 2019, the Greatest Saga Ever... concludes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
May the Force be with you
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

i may very well buy a ps4 if this game ever comes out

Something tells me it won't be long before you're saying you may very well buy a PS5 if this game ever comes out.