Teach Dalty American!

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: Teach Dalty American!

Post by Dalty »

Wow, I just learnt those little hole punched pieces of paper have a name! I had no idea!!!
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

I'm surprised you'd even recognize it as a name, since it's so close to "Chet."
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Now you are just making words up.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

Dimpled Chad sounds like he could be Dalty's American cousin.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Chad Dimple III

He's from Idaho.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Do you guys get up at 5am and not start work until 10am or something? I ask this because in American TV shows and movies the family always seem to be drifting around in the kitchen, cooking four different breakfasts for 2 kids and 2 adults, with the TV on, having relaxed conversations etc.

Me, my alarm goes off at 6am and come 6:35 I am out the front door after a military precision move from bed to shower to wardrobe to front door, before a frantic dash to the station!

I wake up, fall out of bed, drag a comb across my head, find my way downstairs, and drink a cup. From there, I look up, notice I'm late, find my coat, grab my hat, and make the bus in seconds flat.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:Do you guys get up at 5am and not start work until 10am or something? I ask this because in American TV shows and movies the family always seem to be drifting around in the kitchen, cooking four different breakfasts for 2 kids and 2 adults, with the TV on, having relaxed conversations etc.

Me, my alarm goes off at 6am and come 6:35 I am out the front door after a military precision move from bed to shower to wardrobe to front door, before a frantic dash to the station!
The girlfriend is turning me into one of those people. We both usually leave the house between 7:30 and 8. She likes to get up between 6:00 and 6:30, drink coffee, make breakfast, and take her sweet time in the bathroom putting on makeup and doing the hair and what not. I'll occasionally join her for coffee and small talk, but I'm traditionally a "wake up at 7:15, out the door by 7:30" kind of guy.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

WAIT! Cohabitation???
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Way to bury the lead, Adam.

I think it depends on the household. If a family has kids in different levels of school, that can mean differing start times. When my son was in high school, it started at 7:00 am. Elementary school kids, on the other hand, started at 8:15. (I know, backwards from biology.) Fitting that in with parents' work schedules can mean extended breakfast, with shifts crossing here and there.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Dalty wrote:WAIT! Cohabitation???
You guys are hearing this first! After basically living at her place for the past 6-8 weeks and us talking about making that official, I finally hit the point of "It's stupid to keep paying rent at my apartment when I'm never there" and submitted my two month notice to the landlord last night. I'll be officially cohabitating as of Feb. 1, though it's basically a thing already.

I like this gal. What can I say?

(Someone mark this post for posterity so it can be quoted a year from now when I'm single, bitter and hating all women as per terms of my continued citizenship in Trump's America)
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Woah, woah, woah there Cowboy! I mean, this is all a bit sudden. We aren't sure how we can process this. It's a big change for all of us and you might need to give us some time to get used to this idea!
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

You and me both, Dimple. You and me both.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Nah - in all seriousness. Congratulations buddy! She looks like a good egg and if you rate her then she is A-OK!! Be happy because that is the most important thing, bar none.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Dalty wrote:Do you guys get up at 5am and not start work until 10am or something? I ask this because in American TV shows and movies the family always seem to be drifting around in the kitchen, cooking four different breakfasts for 2 kids and 2 adults, with the TV on, having relaxed conversations etc.

I used to spend about an hour and a half getting ready before leaving the house in the morning. Shower, get dressed, eat breakfast while streaming a half-hour show. I like to feel like I've actually woken up before heading out. This worked a lot better when I was in grad school. I could still kind of pull it off with my first editorial job after moving to Massachusetts, but with my current job, I have a 50- to 60-minute commute. Getting ready for 90 minutes would mean getting up at 5:30 or so. That ain't happening. I imagine it will get even less possible with a newborn in the house.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Why do American Football players have that black stripe under their eyes?

This link discusses the intention behind it and whether or not it works:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... -anything/

There have been other studies, too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_black

I gather that more thorough testing and more careful science would lead to more trustworthy results.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Hmmmm. No rugby player or soccer player or cricket player wears them. Are the lights in NFL that much brighter?

I was wondering if you'd go that route. The difference may be in the way balls are utilized and colored from sport to sport.

American football's wide receivers have to look high in the sky to spot a fairly dark object coming toward them in what's usually a fairly steady spiral. It's a smooth-sailing spot of dark that really sneaks down on you, and I imagine it can be tough to spot even with the eye black. (It's easier to see the ball from the stands than it is to see it coming at you on the field, but it can still be tough even for spectators to spot.) I've been told by wide receivers (I played on the line, so it was rare for me to see a ball coming from on high in an actual game scenario) that this is part of why the precise running of patterns and having an accurate quarterback are so important. The receivers don't necessarily see the ball until it is inches from their hands. (This is probably also a big part of why there are so many incompletes. The west branch of college football's Southeastern Conference is famous for favoring running plays over passing plays on offense and for being particularly effective at preventing the pass on defense, and the SEC West is also often considered the most dominant force in college football. [There are a number of reasons why it is considered this, just as there are a number is reasons why this may not even be accurate, but that's a different post.])

With baseball, the players' eyes are also often directed high in the sky. The ball's brighter than an American football, but it's also pretty small. I spent a lot of time in the outfield, and I can attest to how tough it can be to see it coming at you--glare or no.

Of course, just because soccer and rugby players don't often use eye black doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit from it. Maybe, though, the colors of their balls and their balls' typical trajectories don't cause significant glare. It's hard for me to weigh in, here, since I've never played soccer or rugby under lights (or at all, really).

Maybe American football would benefit, glare-wise, from more brightly colored balls, but I think tradition probably trumps practicalness in this case. I don't see neons and whites becoming a standard feature of American football coloring.

I've never worn eye black, so I don't know if it actually helps. It seems, from the mostly unscientific studies people have undertaken, that it may help a little. At the college and professional level (as with the shaving off of tenths of seconds in various Olympics events), the slightest bit of help could mean the difference between a win and a loss. And whether or not it actually helps, there could be some psychological benefit from a placebo effect.

There may be a difference in glare when comparing open-air stadiums to domed stadiums. I'm not sure.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Can somebody explain this Dakota / Standing Rock thing in non-news speak from an American POV?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Dalty wrote:Hmmmm. No rugby player or soccer player or cricket player wears them. Are the lights in NFL that much brighter?
I used to think it was modern-day warpaint.
neglet

Post by neglet »

Dalty wrote:Can somebody explain this Dakota / Standing Rock thing in non-news speak from an American POV?
Oil company wants to build a pipeline near a town, and people say "not in my backyard!" Since people are rich and white, they look for another location. Oil company next tries to put pipeline through tribal lands close to their water supply, and people say "not in my backyard!" Since people are Native American, company doesn't give a shit, keeps going, and you get the ensuing protest and media storm.

I mean, duh. It's kind of our modus operandi.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So who owns the tribal lands? Don't these companies have to apply for planning permission through a planning process whereby those affected have a chance to debate and object?
neglet

Post by neglet »

Evidently it's not precisely through tribal lands, but at half a mile away it's till close enough to effect older burial grounds and particularly the water supply. As a pipeline that didn't cross an international border, it wasn't subject to as much scrutiny as the previous one (the name escapes me) coming from Canada. And the whole project was fast-tracked so they kind of skimmed over public comment the second time.