Teach Dalty American!

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Teach Dalty American!

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

It's a band led by Abe Froman.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Everyone likes a sausage.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

In the mouth?

I'm pretty sure Dalty calls it a "banger in the mouth." (Bang 'er? He doesn't even know 'er!)
Scotia
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts
Money Bag Polisher - 100 Posts

Post by Scotia »

It's hard for me to say I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

Does anybody really know what NINE TIMES it is?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Scotia wrote: July 8th, 2017, 8:19 pm It's hard for me to say I'm sorry...
It really does seem hard for Canadians to say I'm sorry. It usually comes out as I'm soary.

Damn it. That fruit was hanging so low it nearly slapped me in the face, and I somehow managed to walk right past it. I was too busy trying to follow Scoatia's Chicago/Bueller mashup with another Chicago/Bueller mashup.
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

I'm back.
My friend did not know actual numbers but he did confirm a high number of shootings over the holiday.

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Can't read it, have permapopup ruining it for me as an iPad user!

It's a shame. It's possibly the greatest article yet written. Manohman. I've read it at least thirty times.

Sure sucks you can't read it. Ah, well. Maybe you'll be able to read one of the next ones. I doubt any of the many next ones will reach the sublimity of this one, but that's just the way it goes. Only once or twice in a lifetime does something come along like this one.

You know what? I think I'll go read it again.

Update:

I read it three more times. Couldn't help myself.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

You monster!
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Dalty wrote: July 6th, 2017, 3:18 am Is it really true that 101 people were shot in Chicago over 4th July weekend and that 1700 people have been shot there so far in 2017?

And if so, just what the fuck is wrong with Chicago?
The numbers are true. The reasons are complex, but include:
1) Increase in gang activities in the two regions where most of the shootings happen
1a) due to lack of jobs, infrastructure, government support, etc (Illinois' govt is broke)
1b) and historical policies disenfranchising those areas politically and economically
2) A troubled relationship with the police department
2a) due to past abuses of power, particularly against people of color
2b) less police activity which some people blame on the police not knowing how to work effectively without excessive force
3) how ridiculously easy it is to go around the city's tough gun laws by driving past the Indiana state line, only a few miles away
4) the criminals' seeming disregard for consequences--gang culture drives it all.

I'm fortunate to live on the north, rich, mostly white side and our Chicago, and the touristy center of the the city, is not scary or dangerous at all. Chicago gets on the news because of the sheer numbers and because That Orange Guy has it in for our mayor, but look at shootings/murders per capita and it's not even in the top 10 (or it's just at the bottom). But the sudden boost in numbers since 2015 is startling and makes for good news fodder, so there we are.

neglet's characterization of Chicago fits well with my idea of it. Chicago's fairly safe, all things considered.

Per capita, St. Louis is pretty bad. St. Louis and Detroit trade off from year to year when it comes to which US city is considered the most violent.

Jubbers, Jubboiter, and I live in the soup. Our neighborhood is considered a "bad" neighborhood by white folks with money. ("Get out," our family doctor told us, for example, "and don't look back." He also said a string of other shitty well-to-do white guy stuff, though, so fuck him. He's kind of awful. Guys like him are a big part of why white flight and gentrification happen in the first place.) It is also considered a "cheap" neighborhood, though, so that's a plus.

We hear gunfire on occasion. We get late night knocks on our front door from strangers. People get murdered on our street. This happened a couple months ago (I think I posted the below link elsewhere on the site and went into some detail about the circumstances of the shooting):

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... f076d.html

Whatever the case, it's not so bad here. We don't get hassled much. I dress as poor as I am, and I'm a fat and unkempt slob to boot. I wear the same ratty shirts I've been wearing since the early aughts, and I wear the same pair of jeans for weeks. (I own another pair, but it has broken belt loops and is a size too big, so I really only wear it when the good jeans are in the wash.) I doubt I look like a worthwhile mark. I'm also usually pushing a screaming ball of autism in front of me whenever I take to the sidewalks, so maybe potential muggers feel bad for me. (This didn't stop a snotty teen from picking up my dropped wallet and putting a $1,500 charge on my debit card--which debit card only had something like nine dollars on it. But hey. Teens don't give a shit about anybody. Adult muggers have a heart.)

The worst thing about our neighborhood is the barking. From sunup to sundown, that shit is constant. One dog in one house starts, and the rest join in. When I write at home, I have to pipe loud potpourris of sound in through my headphones to drown it out.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So - 22nd Amendment.

Nobody thinking of campaigning to have it changed? Or do people think it's a good thing??
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

In certain states it is illegal to collect rainwater?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I know this is hard to imagine in the green and pleasant land where rain is plenty, but there are places on this planet where droughts are common and collecting naturally occurring water was once seen as hoarding. I think a lot of these laws are mainly state laws in the western US and date back to the nineteenth century.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I can understand damming or diverting water that has fallen being controlled, but naturally occurring water that falls on your own roof?

Incredibly little rain falls in certain states out west in the US. Also, I imagine it's a matter of not having to draw a dividing line. Instead of saying X entity is too big an entity to be collecting water or X amount is too big an amount, they just ban it all. That way, nobody winds up wasting court resources quibbling about being an ounce over or under the line.