So is Cloud Atlas a movie worth watching?

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Quasar
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

So is Cloud Atlas a movie worth watching?

Post by Quasar »

It fell off my radar pretty fast when I saw that crazy fuck trailer that I thought at first was going to be some kind of goofy spoof. And I know it probably would suck to be on the receiving end, but I can't help but snicker when Jim Broadbent gets that toilet plunger stuck on his face. But the reviews were decent, and I read an article on tor (I think) that went on and on about it. But then you've got the Wachowski's, who've basically only had the one movie. I'm maybe possibly considering thinking about putting it back on my list to check out.

Anyone seen it and would give it a recommendation?
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Re: So is Cloud Atlas a movie worth watching?

Post by Mal Shot First »

I've seen it and thought it was all right, but nothing all that spectacular or mind-blowing. The convoluted plot basically just obfuscates a relatively simple message that wouldn't seem all that enlightening if the five or six strands of storylines weren't intertwined the way they are. The film is entertaining, but it makes you work to keep up with it for what is kind of a small payoff.

Oh, and some of the makeup work is also pretty bad.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Speaking of bad aging effects, they aged Peggy Carter in The Winter Soldier. I'm not sure exactly what process they used. I know CG was involved. They either slapped some CG wrinkles on Hayley Atwell or took an actual old woman and slapped Hayley Atwell's features on her face. Or they added some makeup and wrinkle prosthetics and laid some CG over that. Whatever the case, it was distracting as fuck. She had Uncanny Valley teeth and floating features. I have no clue what all she said during her scene. I was too busy staring at the effect.

Maybe it looked better in 3D.

I dug the movie, but CG Atwell took me out of it.
Mango

Post by Mango »

I liked "Cloud Atlas."