Netflix News: Marvel Edition

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Netflix News: Marvel Edition

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Kevin Smith got Joe Quesada's lips flappin' during a podcast. Here's a collection of quotes from it. There's also a link to the full podcast in the article.

The three things I thought were of interest:
  • The characters getting their own miniseries will all be part of the MCU's version of The Defenders.
  • They're actually shooting these in New York. That's pretty cool.
  • Quesada mentions that these will be "street"/"noir" shows unlike the MCU things we've seen before, but is then quick to say they will feel very "Marvel" and won't be like Marvel versions of The Dark Knight. The fact that he gets defensive about it without any real provocation makes me wonder if he's protesting too much.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: Netflix News: Marvel Edition

Post by Dalty »

I thought the defenders were Flash Gordon, The Phantom and all that lot as a team up?

That was Defenders of the Earth. It was something like a proto-League of Extraordinary Gentlemen composed of comic strip heroes owned by King Features Syndicate. I liked it, but it seemed like most kids didn't. I had a DotE coloring book. I colored the shit out of it.

The Defenders was a Marvel comic. (So was Defenders of the Earth, technically--though it was under Marvel's "Star" imprint. Stan Lee and Romita, Sr. were involved with both the comic and cartoon, I think.) It was presented as a team of people who wouldn't normally be part of a team. They bonded over their inability to bond. The first lineup featured Namor, Hulk, Doctor Strange, and Silver Surfer.

You know, I think Ross Andru was involved in the creation of both. Coincidence? Probably.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I really liked Defenders Of The Earth. Wasn't Ming the bad guy?

Must be online somewhere.....

He was, and it is.

We have it on Hulu here in the States.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I don't Hulu. I Netflix and Sky On Demand, that's about it. I thought about getting LoveFilm but I barely get any use out of Netflix, don't think I could justify the spend.