SNES Games

For Mal
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Quasar
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

SNES Games

Post by Quasar »

My SNES was a big hit with me and my friends while I was at college. Some of the favorites were Super Contra, Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy II, some version of NBA Basketball. I also had games like Super Castlevania and Super Star Wars, but the most popular ones were the ones you could play 2 players. Contra worked great because you actually got to work together instead of against each other. I don't think anyone ever played it solo (and I don't expect you could get very far if you did). The one drawback was that although the game was really hard, it wasn't all that long, and once you got past a couple of major hurdles, it was over. The other drawback was that you would die if you went offscreen, which happened a lot when 2 players shared the screen and you both were jumping up or down a cliff wall.

A game I played a ton by myself was Spider-Man and the X-Men. That one was pretty tough. Each character had 2 screens to complete, and I would play it forever trying to learn the ins and outs of each individual screen. Cyclops' first screen was super tough, as the whole level was comprised of electrical cart tracks, and if you ever landed on the tracks, you were instantly dead. Both of Gambit's screens were amazingly tough as there is a giant spiked ball coming from the left, and if it caught up you were instantly dead. Also tons of platforms with nothing below, so if you fell off, deado. I got to the point where I could get through all the levels without losing many guys. I've been playing it a little bit lately, and I can't even get close on those ones I mentioned. I can still beat the Spider-man, Wolverine and Storm levels without too much dificulty.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Re: SNES Games

Post by Mal Shot First »

James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd, always says that beating Contra is easier for him in one-player mode because in two-player mode you not only have to pay attention to all the shit going on in the stage, but also to what the other player is doing. I can see his point.

He and his buddy do have a video where they beat Super C cooperatively. It's pretty impressive.

Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

I owned and beat Lester the Unlikely several times.

Look it up and worship me.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

The way Lester walks at 7:41 in the AVGN video reminds me of the way Matthew walks at 47:47 in the original I Spit on Your Grave.

The timestamp I linked to is SFW, but a lot of the movie is not.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Street Fighter II was a staple in our Uni house. Endless knock out competitions were held!
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

My first year in college, one of the main games we played over the dorm's LAN connection was StarCraft. Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast and Super Smash Bros. Melee were also pretty popular. The only one I was actually decent in was Soul Calibur.

In later years, we liked to play San Francisco Rush 2049 on the Dreamcast. In a world without Burnout 3, that was the best way to crash cars digitally. For actual racing, it was F-Zero GX all the way. I was pretty damn good at F-Zero GX.

Sorry to stray from the topic of SNES games, but Dalty got the ball rolling by talking about what he played in college.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Soul Caliber and Tekken II (on PS One) were the big Vs. games we then played when I first rented a house with mates.

Considering games appear to have been a big part of my life, I wonder why I am so shit at them!?!!

Thanks to my mostly non-SNES ubringing, I'm not really going to be able to do much conversatin' in this thread. Maybe I should do a Genesis or an NES thread.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I mentioned F-Zero GX above, but I forgot to mention that the sole reason I was so determined to get good at that game was the hours upon hours I spent playing the original F-Zero on the SNES. It was one of the four games that came along with the used SNES that my parents bought me when I was 10, and those four games were the only ones I would have for the system for a long time.

F-Zero was also one of the very few video games that my Dad would play. Since there was no multiplayer mode, we would compete by beating each other's records on various tracks. There was a real divide among the F-Zero players in our household. My Dad and my sister swore by the Fire Stingray as their vehicle of choice, while I was a staunch supporter of the Blue Falcon. The two vehicles are quite distinct from each other. The Fire Stingray is heavy and slow to accelerate, but it has the highest top speed of all the racers in the game and due to its mass it retains its velocity much better than the other vehicles (conservation of momentum, or whatever). The Blue Falcon is the balanced choice - not great at anything, but also not bad at anything. It's basically the Mario of F-Zero.

In addition to these game-play considerations, though, the choice was also philosophical. First of all, I wasn't gonna be caught dead driving a pink car - Mal don't roll like that (at least back when Mal cared about such things). More importantly, Samurai Goroh, the driver of the Fire Stingray, is the villain of the game and Captain Falcon is the hero. There was no way I was going to side with the bad guy.

In any case, the competition between all of us got pretty intense. Since the Fire Stingray had the superior top speed, it was capable of getting faster overall times on many tracks, especially those with fewer corners, since it didn't have to decelerate and the spend a lot of time accelerating again. Eventually, my Dad and sister got so good at playing the game using the Fire Stingray that it was almost pointless to compete for track times. However, the game also recorded the best lap times on any given track, which is where I decided to make my mark. I would always make it a point to play stages where the record for the track had been set by the Fire Stingray and to try setting a best-lap record using the Blue Falcon (or sometimes one of the other vehicles). Man, I miss those days.

When I saw the recent James & Mike video featuring F-Zero, it was the first time I really felt like wanting to be there to play a game with them. Not only to show them how it's done (Mike says he beat the game on Expert mode, which is indeed impressive, but I wonder if he ever unlocked Master mode and beat the game on that), but also just to relive the experience of playing this game with other people.

Did somebody mention Captain Falcon?

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Star Fox and Street Fighter II bring back memories, as do those funky Super Star Wars games.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

For my money, Super Mario Kart & Donkey Kong Country remain the greatest video games ever made. (In that order)
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

We spent hours and hours and hours playing vs battles on Mario Kart on the SNES in our house at Uni.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

That was just the best, wasn't it? Endless fun. I remember playing that for something like 14 hours with my next door neighbor the day I got my SNES. I shut my eyes that night and couldn't sleep because I kept seeing the Mushroom headed guy hopping around.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It was epic!
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

My wife found these in an old box just before we moved. Nice haul...
Attachments
SNES
SNES
unnamed.jpg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 60677 times

Dalty wrote:It was epic!
What's your barometer? Think Forza Motorsport 3 is great? Love Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

More of a Gran Turismo man myself. That and the Arkham games.
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

Very nice haul, Hicks!

I had Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart, and Super Mario World, but in order to play ChronoTrigger, I had to spend the night with a middle school friend and all of her allergy-inducing cats. This was back when said allergy only caused sinus and nasal congestion and no worse, so I willingly had a permanent cold for a couple of months while we beat the game.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Chrono Trigger can get you a decent sum on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/chrono-trigger-snes
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

I am missing Secret of Mana.

I am sad. :(
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

I am pretty sure I pulled the ultimate grandma move with my Secret of Mana and all Super Star Wars games. They were all thrown in a giant bag of stuff donated to Goodwill while we were in the process of a move about 6 years ago.

Secret of Mana...shit.