What are you watching right now? : The Huffy Flounce

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: What are you watching right now? : The Huffy Flounce

Post by Dalty »

Every episode of Red Dwarf X back to back as I avoid spoilers for Thrones later.

Damn if this show didn't suddenly get it's groove back!
Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

I just got done watching "The Godfather" for the very first time.

I would voice an opinion but I'm not sure I could suffer the stones that would be hurled at me.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

We might throw some walls of text at you, but we'd never hurl stones.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Over-rated, eh Mango?
Mango

Post by Mango »

I'd say so.
Mind, I didn't hate the movie but I maintained a state of mostly constant disinterest.

Look, i'm going to drop a couple of spoilers hereabouts. I know it seems silly to spoiler tag "The Godfather" but I also know some people here have only recently seen a couple of famous movies (Raiders and Jaws I think?), and until the other night I knew almost nothing about "The Godfather". I hate spoilers, so I'm tagging it here.

I don't want to come across as overly harsh...but...

I know a lot of now standard gangster elements came from it -and I respect that- but I felt like I should have gotten a sense of awe from watching it and that never happened. I will attempt to justify my three complaints here, if for no reason other than to try and justify my heretical view.

It was meandering, emotionless, and poorly lit. At three hours of run time a movie needs to fight to keep my interest. I'm a creative guy and I could be doing many other things with that time. Don't waste it by showing me a thirty minute wedding followed by a Hollywood subplot that has no bearing on the finished product. Likewise time spent in Italy with characters who won't matter, sure there was a bit of primary character development but nothing that couldn't be established with a couple lines of dialogue. And so many scenes just seemed to happen, maybe a person in them was important, maybe not, or maybe we just needed to see a long drawn out death scene for a character whom we have only heard mentioned before. I can see the overarching plot from the end, but to see Michael get there was only shocking given how unimportant he seemed early on. I'd say they should have actually focused on him, but then it went to Italy and became rather boring.

The emotionless thing really bothered me. There were good actors here, I've seen them do things and I know they were famous for this. But so many dull speaking heads. Besides a temper tantrum I only counted three real scenes of any emotion: Enzo's (the oddly daring flower wielding night visitor of hospitals)terror, Vito's shock over his son's death, and Michael's shouting at the end. I read that the actor who played Enzo was genuinely scared in that scene due to inexperience so that's less a mark for the movie. The bit with Vito was good though, but the sudden emergence of acting did pull me from the movie for a moment.
As a side note, I disliked Brando's choice of voice. I could not understand him and he felt like he was sick and dying way before he was actually sick and dying.

And the lighting. I don't have a problem with how dark it was, some of that looked pretty good, but it felt very washed out in most scenes. I'm just saying, there was a topless scene and I could not tell if there were actually nipples on the boobs. I'm assuming yes.

At some point I'll give the second movie a go, because I've heard they should really be taken together. I don't think it will help but i'll give it a go.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

I'm not going to get into a while big thing here, but I had no trouble discerning Apollonia's nipples. I'm good like that.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

Offspring insisted, so today we saw "Godzilla." I thought the first part was pretty good, even though Bryan Cranston was devouring the scenery; the explanation for Godzilla and its monster nemesis was acceptable, and the initial suspense of the monster attacks was pretty good.

Then ... well, I suppose I should save it for a future episode of "Drunk Negs Live Blogs Stupid Movies." Between having the military being obviously stupid multiple times, the hot monster nuke sex (okay, just the mating dance), and the director taking a break from the action multiple times to give a close up of the soldier hero stopping and staring stupidly ... I haven't laughed so hard at a movie since "This Is the End." The monster action was pretty good, though, so if you just want to turn off your brain, or you want a good laugh, go see it.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I really wanna see this!