X-Men: Days of Future past

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: X-Men: Days of Future past

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Looks like Channing Tatum will be playing Gambit in X-Men: Apocalypse.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

I thought that guy who kills movies was already cast? Or is Wolverine no longer canon?
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

So I saw this last night. It was pretty enjoyable, especially since it focused on the past X-men storyline and the relationship between Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. Peter Dinklage was awesome as the evil genius scientist, and it did a good job of integrating with past movies and setting up the next. The highlight, as you've probably heard, is the sequence with Quicksilver. I loved the attitude Evan Peters brought to the role and I hope they bring him back.

Oh, and I noticed in the credits that Hugh Jackman's trainer gets a mention ... And may I say, well done, sir! We get a totally gratuitous but lengthy and very enjoyable butt shot of Wolverine, just in case you were wondering if he still has it. Yes, yes he does.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I was his butt double. True story!
The Swollen Goiter of God

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Jubbers and I saw it last night. We both enjoyed it, but we were also both distracted for much of the movie.

Why? Jubboiter was with us.

We both really wanted to see it, and we knew there was no way to manage it without taking Jubboiter along. We knew better than to try to take her inside another theater (she likes to move around too much), so we had come to the conclusion that we would just have to wait until video. There was really no way to go out and see it on the big screen, unless... maybe we could try the drive-in.

The drive-in had never occurred to us as an option until a mutual friend of ours posted on Facebook about going to one to see Days of Future Past. Jubbers knew of a drive-in theater about forty-five miles from us, so she floated the idea of the three of us giving it a go.

We gave Jubboiter one job: fall asleep on the drive out to the drive-in. She didn't. This may be because we elected, recently, to have her baby seat face forward. She's not quite two, but she's a heavy kid. She's heavy enough for us not to have to face her backward anymore. Our car is a small two-door car, so we've been struggling for almost two years with getting her in that damned backseat. It's much easier now that she faces forward.

Of course, this also means she has more to look at. Had she been facing backwards, she wouldn't have even known we were at the movies, and the darkness of the night sky might well have put her in the mood for sleep. There was a douche behind us who kept turning on his headlights, but those lights probably would have hit above Jubboiter's eye line, so I doubt they would have woken her up.

We also only brought one bottle of water for her. She's not too keen on water, but the one time she's usually happy to drink it is right before bed. Normally, though, she's in a quiet and dark room. If you want her to go to sleep in the midst of a distraction, water rarely cuts it. You need a milk/water mix for that.

It was also a little hot in the car, and we didn't want to roll down the windows for fear of exposing Jubboiter to bug bites. It wouldn't have been that hot in the car if I hadn't been in there. I'm like a biological space heater. I can warm a circle of people about as well as any campfire. Since the windows were up, and since I was putting off dangerous levels of heat, the windows began to fog up.

Jubboiter was relatively quiet for the first hour. She began to scream after that, and she continued to scream off-and-on for the next thirty minutes. If we had had some milk with us, we might have been able to curb the screaming. Once she started screaming, my temperature rose, and the windshield got so foggy that I was only able to make out blobs of color. I grabbed Jubboiter's blanket and started mopping away. By the time I was able to see out the windshield again, my glasses began to fog. I wiped my glasses down. Then the windshield re-fogged, so I wiped. Then the glasses. Et cetera.

I missed a fair chunk of audio because I couldn't hear over Jubboiter's screaming. I missed a fair chunk of video because of the fogging. Sometimes, the screaming and the fogging would work in tandem, and I would miss whole sections of plot.

Jubboiter finally fell asleep about an hour-and-a-half into the movie. From that point forward, the only problem was the fogging.

The next time we go to the drive-in, we'll probably take a cooler filled with snacks and milk for Jubboiter. We may also treat the interior of our windshield with Rain‑X® Anti-Fog.

Anyway, we enjoyed the movie despite the distractions. The "Time in a Bottle" scene was pretty cool. Enjoyment of the opening of the movie was compromised a bit by the night sky still not being quite dark enough to make everything out. If the movie had opened on some daytime shots, this might not have been as much of an issue. It also didn't help that the douche behind us kept flipping on the headlights.
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

The Swollen Goiter of God wrote:I'm like a biological space heater. I can warm a circle of people about as well as any campfire. Since the windows were up, and since I was putting off dangerous levels of heat, the windows began to fog up.
As I mentioned to him last night, I am fairly certain that Goiter is a mutant.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

This is news to nobody.
Corporal_Hicks
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

It is a good movie.
Mango

Post by Mango »

I saw this during vacation.

Overall I was pretty pleased. There were a lot of problems that presented themselves, and very little good that I can really 'list,' in an objective sense but at the time I had a blast.

Except for the horrible deaths.
omicron

Post by omicron »

Saw it today, and I thought it was pretty good. Be interesting to see how they go forward. Was nice to see all the familiar faces at the end again.