Obscure Old Games

For Mal
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Re: Obscure Old Games

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Well, that "Let's Play" video was pretty disappointing. The guy mostly just showed off the Easter eggs in the start menu. I did find the "Scrapped Scripts" on YouTube. Here's a few:

They're all pretty short. If you want to watch the rest, here's the playlist.

And here's a far better Star Warped tour than the one given by the "Let's Play" guy:

Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

I'm not sure if this game belongs in the "Obscure Old Games" category, but at least it seemed to me when I was younger that not many people had played or even heard of the 1997 Blade Runner game developed by Westwood Studios.

It's one of my favorite point-and-click adventures, particularly because it's not as frustrating in its puzzle design as some Sierra and LucasArts titles of the era. It also had some fairly unique touches in its incorporation of action elements (the ability to use a weapon with different types of ammo to retire suspected replicants) as well as in the modification of the traditional pixel-hunt mechanic (the inclusion of the Esper machine that lets you analyze photographs using zoom and pivot, just like in the movie).

It's a shame that the recent adventure game renaissance hasn't led to a remastering or at least a commercial re-release of the game. I can understand it, though, since the licensing of the film property was probably a limited deal that would probably be fairly expensive to renew.

However, the game is apparently considered abandonware at this point, and you can download it free of charge from this place:
http://www.xtcabandonware.com/game/2384/blade-runner

Here's a video of the intro sequence:

Mango
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by Mango »

I played the hell out of that game back in the day. I loved how you could hack your datapad and keep secrets from the department, which in turn altered the outcome of the game. Good stuff.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

Syndicate? Gauss gun anyone?
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I've heard of Syndicate, but I haven't played it and I'm only vaguely familiar with the premise, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your post. :)
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

It was the bestest gun in the game!