The World Cup 2014

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

The World Cup 2014

Post by Dalty »

And we're off!!!! Biggest sporting event on the planet. Brazil v Croatia as opening match.

England have no chance of winning and will be lucky to get out of the group. Spain might be the only side outside South America who can win it, but they are an ageing squad. Smart money is on Brazil as hosts. Argentina perhaps as they have Messi who everyone accepts is the best player in the world but not sure about the rest of the team vs Brazil.

It's probably just you and me, Mal. What do you think?
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Re: The World Cup 2014

Post by omicron »

I've heard Spain is the favorite, although I think Italy or Germany might have a good chance.
Mal Shot First
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Post by Mal Shot First »

Bananarama's Bouncy Bits wrote:Brazil v Croatia as opening match.
The referee's performance in this match was fucking shameful. In the end, though, the Croats can't complain about losing this one. Two shots by Brazil from outside the box, two goals. Ridiculous! Both times, the defenders were just strolling alongside the Brazilians.
omicron wrote:I've heard Spain is the favorite, although I think Italy or Germany might have a good chance.
Of all the big soccer powers, I'd say Spain's got the best chance of winning this thing. Brazil didn't convince me today, and unless they keep benefiting from bad referee decisions, I don't see them progressing past the semifinals.

Italy is always kind of weird. It seems like they usually need some time to get into the tournament before they start playing their best. They had an embarrassing 1-1 draw against Luxembourg during the preparation stage, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If they make it past the group stage, I think they'll have pretty good odds.

Germany is in trouble. Their goalkeeper is banged up (shoulder injury), but that's at least one position where the Germans have quality in high supply. I'm more worried about everything else. They've only had one wingback with international quality for the past decade now, and that's Lahm. He can play either the left or right side, but the problem is usually who'll occupy the spot on the opposite side. Löw still hasn't solved this problem, but now he's making making a shaky defense even less stable. Because the defensive midfielders are ailing or trailing behind their regular form (Schweinsteiger, Khedira), he's probably going to pull Lahm into the midfield because Guardiola, the manager at his club, has been using him in that position throughout this past season. That pretty much leaves the Germans with a defensive row comprised of center-backs, two of whom will be filling positions they're not used to.

With Reus getting injured in the last test match, they'll probably bring either Schürrle or Podolski to play his role as attacking midfielder. Unfortunately, I don't think either of them is as versatile as Reus. Then there's also the striker problem. Klose is the only real striker Löw has nominated for the team, and he hasn't had that much time to get back to peak form after a long injury. Instead, they've been experimenting with a system the Germans call a "False 9," i.e., a striker who doesn't function in the traditional sense of hanging around the penalty box, but instead comes deep from the midfield and is thus more involved in the team's build-up play. There might be a proper English term for this, but I haven't heard one. In any case, Löw has tried several different players in this role, including Götze, Müller, Reus, and Özil (sometimes even having several players fill this role in the same match), but none of them has been particularly effective. All of them have superb technical skill, but they're not necessarily goalscorers.

Speaking of Özil: he's just very, very far away from his 2010 self. I hope he finds back to his form in time for the game against Portugal, but I doubt he actually will. They're better off not putting him in at all.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

I'm kind of half watching it. I'm wondering what you over the pond think of the US draw. It doesn't seem to make sense to bother with rankings if you're going to put two of the top four and three of the top ten teams in the same group. But I'm sure it's all about who's paid FIFA what, anyway.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Must admit that I wasn't blown away by Brazil either.

Watching a lot of international football in the last few weeks and it seems slower than usual. Especially in the heat and humidity of Brazil I reckon there is an opportunity for a team who comes out fast and gets amongst it, like Liverpool did in the EPL this year. You could have some matches won before the opposition knows the match has started.

Re: the US draw, that's how it works. They are seeded in the third or fourth tier so there are 2nd tier and 1st tier teams in the group with them.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

With all the goddamn money they have spent on this thing, if Brazil doesn't win, there's going to be a lot of pissed-off Brasileros out there.
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

That's not a grammatically proper sentence, agreed.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

It seems to me that it should be more like the Olympics. You almost expect the host country either to dominate or to have a good showing.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Poor Spain.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. Let's hope that this is the death of tiki-taka. If we're lucky, Spain won't even make it past the group stage and we'll be guaranteed a new champion.

No way anyone could have expected this! I got goosebumps when Robben scored the fifth goal and the crowd began chanting the Seven Nation Army riff.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Brazil unconvincing. The champions destroyed.

Do you feel a really open World Cup coming on?

England's 1st match tonight vs Italy. 11pm UK time kick off. Fucking time zones!!!!
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Besides Spain, I couldn't really pick out a clear favorite before the tournament started. With Spain's destruction yesterday, even the one team I thought had the best odds is looking quite uncertain now. We could be in for a strong showing from the South American teams in particular.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

European teams don't win in South America. It was never going to be Spain.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't happen. Brazil and Argentina would be the most likely South American candidates, but they don't strike me as being clearly superior to any of the other major contenders in the tournament. If there's any time a European team can win the World Cup in South America, it's probably this year.
neglet

Post by neglet »

Bananarama's Bouncy Bits wrote:England's 1st match tonight vs Italy. 11pm UK time kick off. Fucking time zones!!!!
Better than 2002, when they had to open the pubs at 7 am for the matches.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Wasn't the result that we wanted. Shit!
Space Tycoon
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts
ü83r l33t - 1338 Posts

Post by Space Tycoon »

Watched it yesterday at the local pub. I was thinking of getting an England flag for my car, maybe. I dunno.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Our office is decorated. As usual the chippy Jock failures are griping.
Mal Shot First

Post by Mal Shot First »

Portugal got mullered!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

One man team these days. Germans looked characteristically organised.

They're famous for their concentration.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And they are a little camp.

Don't expect them to take the cup. They'll run out of juice.

Bananarama's Bouncy Bits wrote:And they are a little camp.
They're less keen on camp than they are on kitsch.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

With those uniforms?