Brexit

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Adam54
Wall of Text Climber - 2500 Posts

Re: Brexit

Post by Adam54 »

So how is the shooting changing public opinion on the referendum? Too soon to tell in a wide scale, I'd imagine, but have you heard anything personally?
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Post by Dalty »

It's not, thus far. Pretty much no serious news outlet is making any attempt to link the two seriously. Yet.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Extreme right wing links (white supremacy) and mental illness seems to be the prognosis.
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Post by neglet »

NPR reported this morning he had previous contact with white supremacist groups in the US.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Yup - so it would be disengenous but sadly typical of Guardianistas and their ilk to try and smear this as a Brexit / EU issue.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

Is this one of those things where someone with a lot of money would try to push an It-couldn't-possibly-be-a-Brexit/EU-issue! narrative and someone without much money would try to push an It's-absolutely-a-Brexit/EU-issue! narrative?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

No, it's something where a desperate and scared Remainer would try and score political points from it. All the Remainers are the rich ones!
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I read yesterday that our stock market went up (as well as the price of oil) because polls are shifting in a more favorable direction?

Not that polls are to be trusted over there these days.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Depends what you class as more favourable?
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I'd imagine it was the Stay vote?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Probably - but that made the £ go up which hurts exports. Swings/roundabouts.
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by omicron »

Keeping It 1600 podcast had an interesting interview with a Guardian pollster about the Brexit and UK politics in general.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Was it the most recent one?
omicron

Post by omicron »

My bad, I just looked at my ipod and it was the latest 538 podcast, not Keeping It 1600.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Ah! No wonder I couldn't find it. I somehow didn't know there was a 538 podcast though, so that's even more exciting. Thanks for the tip!
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

This pretty much sums up "Remain" - or "Project Fear" as they call it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (595.46 KiB) Viewed 662 times

Are you sure it's not an EU thing? Isn't "Brexit" a portmanteau combining "Britain" and "exit"? What is Britain seeking to exit? Is it seeking to exit the EU? Because that's what it seems like. If so--to me, at least--that would make "Brexit" at least somewhat an EU thing.

Is it a thing where the people with money are generally the ones pushing for leaving the EU and people without money are generally the ones pushing for staying with the EU?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

No, seriously, the people who want in are the rich. Their wages haven't been pushed down by uncontrolled immigration and they benefit from globalisation and big non-governmental structures.

Was the shooting and stabbing the thing you were saying wasn't an EU thing? I can't remember, and I'm not going to do myself the minor inconvenience of rereading any of this thread.

So is it this thing where the people who want in are rich and the people who want out are not? Is it a thing where the poor generally want one thing and the wealthy generally want the other thing? Is it, instead, a thing where the very poor and very wealthy want the same thing, but you and other like-minded people want the other thing? What would you want if you were poor? Would it be the same thing you currently want? Can you answer in a way that allows you to be honest with yourself, or is there no real way to divorce yourself philosophically from your bags and bags of money?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I am 60/40 in favour of out, but that's purely emotional and philosophical. If it was 100% based on head power I would probably plump for the status quo.

What does the status quo want? If possible, answer in a way that suggests you think me to have no better grasp on British politics than the average US American toddler.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

I'm almost entirely ignorant on this so forgive me in advance if it's a stupid question, but isn't Greece an example of a European country who stayed out of the EU? Obviously they've mishandled their own affairs quite a bit, but might things have been different for their economy had they joined up?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

No, no, no! Greece are well in the EU and well in the Euro. It is both of these things that is causing them hardship and destroying their economy and causing mass unemployment.

Same with Spain and Portugal, and France to a lesser degree. Basket case economies robbed of the ability to set interest rates and devalue currency to dig their way out of the mire.

And the unelected technocrats that were forced on them from Brussels are prolonging the misery.

Germany wants them to stay, won't let them leave, because their economies acting like an anchor on the Euro keep it low in value, which means Germany, an exporting powerhouse, can generate huge income from flinging Audi's and VW's and Huff Houses around the world far cheaper than if they still had the Deutschemark.
Adam54

Post by Adam54 »

Oh! My mistake. So there's really less economic reasons to stay than there are social ones? Easier movement across borders, study in a different country without issue, vacation in Athens without a passport, etc?

Which I suppose are the reasons the security hawks are chirping about as good cases for leaving?
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Security hawks are saying stay, which is bollocks as we are not leaving Five-Eyes or NATO, which are the two mechanisms that ensure security far more than the EU.

And we didn't need a visa to visit any Euro country before the Maastricht treaty, and we still need a passport.

As you can see, it's fairly full of bullshit.