Guardians of the Galaxy

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Post by Dalty »

Sounds groovy!
omicron
Washer of the Tights - 250 Posts

Post by omicron »

yeah seeing the good reviews is making me more likely to see the movie. Damn you Disney, do you want ALL my money??
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

So Disney owns Marvel...... yet all the Marvel characters and themed rides are are at Universal Studios. Is there a commercial agreement stopping us seeing what Disney theme park magic they could weave together??
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

That deal was in place before Disney bought Marvel. Iger has said Disney will honor any licensing agreements that were in place before the acquisition. This doesn't mean they haven't done underhanded things--like not allowing tie-in toys for Days of Future Past. This also doesn't mean they will allow renewals of licensing agreements once the original agreements have run their courses. Marvel characters may start disappearing from Universal theme parks and showing up at Disney theme parks in the years to come. Universal will probably take a huge hit once this happens.

I think Marvel characters may have already begun showing up at Disney theme parks located in countries where Universal had no prior deals in place.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

From memory of my last trip which was way back in 2007 - Islands of Adventure:

Spider-Man the ride - of which Transformers the ride is the next evolution of the same tech and actually much better
Hulk coaster - just theming of the queue area and general stuff so no great loss to have to change.
Dr Dooms Terror Tower - just a drop ride, again queue and general theming.
Some themed (Storm / X-Men I think) tea cup ride.

Other than that there is a model of the Fantastic 4 car, a few characters in unconvincing costumes, a comics store and a themed food outlet.

So it probably would not kill them. They re-themed Duelling-Dragons to make it completely Harry Potter-centric in pretty short order.

The rides aren't where they'll take the hit. It's the merchandise.
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

"Where the REAL money from the movie is made."

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Meh. Spidey merchandise just gets replaced by Transformers merchandise or whatever. An exit through the gift shop is an exit through the gift shop.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I presume Disney are going to go MASSIVE on Star Wars? That whole Indiana Jones area adjacent to Star Tours at MGM studios is up for replacement soon.
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

I'm going to MGM (Hollywood) Studios in about a month and I can't wait. I have not been on Star Tours since it has been updated, and it will be a blast to ride with my daughter.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I am so freakin' jealous. I love those places!!

I am theme parking this weekend too. Alton Towers.
Jubbers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jubbers »

My mother's invited me along to a 3-day Disney World trip in February with my sisters. The stipulation is that I have to participate in the Princess 5K thing AND (the kicker) I have to walk it with them at my mother's pace.

I also have to deal with my sisters. I've been invited this year because last time they went (two years ago), my sisters fought and bitched and everything else, despite the kindness of my mom in paying for them to do one of their stupid 5ks AT DISNEY WORLD. Ingrates. So mom wants me there for calmness.

Dalty

Post by Dalty »

If they don't want to be there, I will come and do a 5K, I will keep to your mothers pace and I will damn well enjoy it!!
Mango

Post by Mango »

Saw this last night; it was a lot of fun. I admitted apathy towards the movie, but in the end it made me pretty happy.

I truly enjoyed most of the heroes, each getting a few moments to shine. Other than Gamora really, she left me a bit cold. I was really sad about this as both Green women and Zoe Saldana are on my list.
omicron

Post by omicron »

I am off next Tuesday. Going to try and catch a matinee of this.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

I can't find anyone to go with me. "It looks dumb, it's got a raccoon and a tree in it!"

Heathens!!!

I hate to keep dropping the needle on this skippy spot in the record, Dalty, but Guardians of the Galaxy is one of those many, many movies what don't require their patrons to bring along a plus-one.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

And I still maintain that there is something vaguely wrong with going to the cinema on your own. It just feels icky!!

In that case, enjoy consciously limiting your moviegoing opportunities for no good reason.

If you think it would help, I could always e-mail some of your friends, family, and coworkers and tell them you're going to see it by yourself because you're a lonelyloserperv and a neomaxizoomdweebie. Once I've forced you to hop this incredibly low humiliation hurdle, maybe you'll see the error of your ways, realize you have nothing to lose, and go see the movie.

I'm sure bystanders will point and laugh at you the entire way there, and it's quite possible that all the hot women you meet along the way will lift their noses and turn away from you the second they get a whiff of your evening plans, but at least you'll get to see some of Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe you'll even get to see most of it. If you're lucky. There's no guaranteeing, after all, that the tweens and parents in the audience won't assume you are a rapist and report you to the authorities.
omicron

Post by omicron »

Bananarama's Bouncy Bits wrote:And I still maintain that there is something vaguely wrong with going to the cinema on your own. It just feels icky!!
bah as an anti-social loser, I can't remember the last time I went to a movie with someone. I just wait until I have a day off, and catch a matinee for half-price and enjoy the movie with about 3 other people in the theater. Well, except for a couple of weeks ago when I went to see How to Train Your Dragon 2. Middle of the day+summer vacation+100+ degree heat outside= tons of kids and parents looking for a cool distraction for a couple of hours. :roll:
Corporal_Hicks

Post by Corporal_Hicks »

Somewhere along the way, people like Goiter's frat brothers deemed it uncool for one to go to the movies by themselves. I think a big part of that comes from the teenage years, when going to the movies is more a social act than it is one of pure entertaining. The movies (like the mall) are one of the few places where teens can hang and be somewhat insulated from their parents.

The people that make the rules, like Goiter's frat brothers, for the most part have not grown out of that phase
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Hicks is right, and now I worry that I have not grown up.

Hicks is usually right.
Dalty

Post by Dalty »

Issue solved. I have a date for Saturday night with a lovely girl who is also a bit of a geek and wants to see the movie. Followed by taking the new restaurant in town out for a spin!

Also, amazing tits!