What things are broken or screwy in your place of residence?

Why bother with any other forum?
Forum rules
We once roamed the vast forums of Corona Coming Attractions. Some of us had been around from The Before Times, in the Days of Excelsior, while others of us had only recently begun our trek. When our home became filled with much evil, including the villainous Cannot-Post-in-This-Browser and the dreaded Cannot-Log-In, we flounced away most huffily to this new home away from home. We follow the flag of Jubboiter and talk about movies, life, the universe, and everything, often in a most vulgar fashion. All are welcome here, so long as they do not take offense to our particular idiom.
The Swollen Goiter of God
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts
Postapocalypse Survivor - 7510 Posts

What things are broken or screwy in your place of residence?

Post by The Swollen Goiter of God »

I figure everybody's place has something broken. Here's our list:
  1. My bedroom door won't stay closed. I have to wedge it closed with a pair Jubboiter's shorts.
  2. The doorknob for the back door is broken. We have it jury-rigged together at the moment.
  3. The tub faucet doesn't get hot. This makes showers and tub baths ineffective. The bathroom sink gets hot enough to scald, so whenever we want to take a bath, we fill an emptied and cleaned ice cream tub with hot water from the sink and dump it in the bathtub. It usually takes somewhere between 10-20 dumps to make the water hot enough to feel right.
  4. Jubboiter's door is swollen and will not close. It's clear a former tenant tried to get it to close a number of times. The wood around the top is pretty chipped.
  5. The big front window is poorly sealed. When the icicles that formed outside recently began to thaw, the water started leaking on the inside. We've duct-taped it for now.
  6. The house in general is poorly sealed. Our heating bill more than tripled from November to December. We taped heavy-duty plastic over the windows, but it didn't do much good.
  7. Our kitchen pipes keep freezing. Sometimes, it doesn't even matter if we leave the faucet dripping overnight.
  8. One of the windows in Jubboiter's bedroom is broken. It looks like the person who lived here before us taped a square of cardboard over the break and said, "To hell with it." We've reported this twice. Nothing has been done about it.
  9. The basement floods every time it rains. They installed a flood pump of some sort to deal with this. It can take it a while to kick in.
  10. The door frames are all incredibly crooked. Baby gates only make two points of contact with them. We had to wedge the one baby gate we use behind the bookshelf. Jubboiter sometimes gives it a vigorous shaking and tosses it out of her way once she's managed to dislodge it.
  11. The floors are uneven. If Jubboiter sets her wheeled toys down in certain ways, they will roll across the floor.
I'm sure there are other things. I will add them when/if they come to me.
Dalty
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts
Vegeta-ble Slicer - 9001 Posts

Re: What things are broken or screwy in your place of reside

Post by Dalty »

I am moving into what was an old Victorian Townhouse that has been converted into apartments. Lovely, full of character with nice high ceilings and original features. But...... well, it's old. And the conversion was done by a builder/developer who wasn't going to have to live here. So there is what we Brits call a 'snagging list' growing by the day.

1. Both the bathroom doors doors don't lock

2. Venetian blind on the door to my roof terrace had been installed.... despite being faulty.

3. Designer taps have pressure set too high so they send water out of the designer sinks onto the designer Italian marble floor!

4. Kitchen tap turns on it's own axis.

5. Door to roof terrace has been painted in normal, non weatherproof paint on the outside so it's already starting to rot at the bottom.

6. My satellite TV installation took 6.5 hours!!!!

7. A couple of small lights don't work.

The list is growing daily!!!
neglet
Shoots First - 1138 Posts
Shoots First - 1138 Posts

Re: What things are broken or screwy in your place of reside

Post by neglet »

Our place is about 13-14 years old, so it's not in bad shape. You can't keep the master bedroom door halfway closed, and some of the windows are sticky, but the main irritant is a consequence of having the bathrooms up on the third floor: water pressure in the shower is lame, and it takes almost 10 minutes to draw a bath. You learn to work with it, though. And at least our unit isn't one of the ones that has an inefficient downspout, so you have giant icicles running three stories from the gutter to the drain. One got so bad it had surrounded the nearby electrical meters.